General

Environment top concern of EV buyers.

> @lbowroom said:. Good to know that 5.5% of the public buy an EV for the environment. "

“Nearly half of those interested in EVs said they were influenced by their car’s impact on the environment, versus just 14% of driver's license holders.”

“A new survey from YouGov found that 11% of Americans who hold a driver's license, equivalent to a market of 21 million people, would consider buying an electric vehicle (EV). Those inclined to purchase an EV are more likely than the general driving population to be in the 25-44 year age group, vote Democratic and consider climate change a serious issue.”

https://www.smartcitiesdive.com/news/survey-1-in-9-americans-would-consider-buying-an-ev/546464

Comments

• Nearly half of 11%; looks like lbowroom is right.
  • Well, from my personal experience over the past 6 1/2 years of owning my MS, attending cars shows with it, is that statistic is wrong. 99.999997658% of the people I have talked to about what it is like to own my car, all focused on not having to buy gas or get oil changes done. They speak about those as if it was a chore to do. The number of people that mentioned "saving the planet" was a rounding error.

Here is the problem with any surveys/polls, who did they talk to, to get these numbers. How were the questions worded. Was it in a states(s) that is hyper focused on environmental issues like CA?
  • Free market wins. You can save the planet simply by being better than your competition.

Charging at home, no gas, maintenance reductions are superior regardless of the environment.

To jordan's point, i was not polled on my purchase. 9 in 9 americans would consider buying an EV if EVs were not so misreported in the media. And understated by dealerships. The best defense dealerships, media, oil companies have, is deception. Which has a finite life span, like any FUD narrative.
  • Goofymobile econoboxes and the Prius don't help either. Until Tesla came along, you could have a practical car or an ecological car. Not both.
    EV\ technology enables both and Tesla actually offers both.
    This is the primary reason I support Tesla way above everyone else.
    . . . and yes, the environment is a big concern to me. So is the affect of oil dependency on national security.
    Many like to wear environmentalism on their sleeve to separate themselves from the apathetic and/or ignorant folks who don't care. That really doesn't help anything. Getting halfway to the solution of a big problem with no path to actually solving it doesn't help
    I prefer to push to provide those who don't care with ecological options that still meet or beat all of their needs.
    Go Tesla!
  • > @andy_connor_e said: > Free market wins."

EV's don't exist in a "free market". Tesla does not exist in a free market as Tesla has received $3T in government subsidies, $600M direct loan to avoid bankruptcy. Current receives $500M a year in Zero Emissions Vehicle credits from government.

EV's and Tesla exist due to government mandates to have zero emissions cars by 2035.
  • Which government mandates to have electric cars by 2035 were in place in 2003?

I’ll wait.
  • Fish’s talk track. EV’s are special interest vehicles that require a sacrifice that only environmentalists make.

In truth, a Tesla is cheaper in total cost of ownership with far better performance and owner satisfaction for the money. No one will call you an ecotard for driving a Tesla.
  • I’m honored that these threads start with a quote from me. Keep them coming.
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLxPAwIeL0w
  • Ok FISH, then GM cars are not in a “free market” because we had to bail them out and to the best fo my knowledge they still haven’t paid us back.

In a true free market, both GM and Chrysler would not exist today.
  • So sad that bolt has been recalled now.
  • All 69k Bolts recalled due to battery fires.

Sad that the doomed automakers you’ve been shilling for keep shitting the bed.

TSLA up 1000% since Bolt launched. Some “Tesla Killer” huh?
  • I'll give GM credit where due, 69k Bolts.
  • I don’t care what polls say.
    If there is anything to learn from past 2 elections, it’s that polls don’t work. (You can skew any question to get the results you want)

Anyone I know that buys a Tesla, buys it because it’s the coolest and best car in the world right now. Period.
    Environment is a nice bonus.
  • > @MK_NJ said: > I don’t care what polls say"

Anger and denial phases.
  • > @FISHEV said:
    > > @lbowroom said:. Good to know that 5.5% of the public buy an EV for the environment. "
    >
    > “Nearly half of those interested in EVs said they were influenced by their car’s impact on the environment, versus just 14% of driver's license holders.”
    >
    > “A new survey from YouGov found that 11% of Americans who hold a driver's license, equivalent to a market of 21 million people, would consider buying an electric vehicle (EV). Those inclined to purchase an EV are more likely than the general driving population to be in the 25-44 year age group, vote Democratic and consider climate change a serious issue.”
    >
    > https://www.smartcitiesdive.com/news/survey-1-in-9-americans-would-consider-buying-an-ev/546464
    >

The main factor driving a consumer choice is economics. When the EVs will be the same cost or cheaper to buy than ICE. They will sell massively.

Except for China that just announced 25% of all vehicles sold by 2025 will be EVs. The transition will be purely based on economics.

As for now, the 5% of people who care for environment are the major owners of the EV market, either for performance or environnement and probably usually both factors at the same time.
  • > @FISHEV said:
    > > @MK_NJ said: > I don’t care what polls say"
    >
    > Anger and denial phases.
    >

?? Where did you see anger?

Fact is, people buy Tesla because it is the best car available right now. That’s why they have long reservations list to get one right now.

Polls have been proven wrong.
  • > @Teslionaire said: > The main factor driving a consumer choice is economics."

Cars tend to be an emotional choice appealing to the lizard brain and people, at least in US, spend way too much for cars for it to be an economic choice.

On EV's those who buy them do so mostly for the environment mostly and that is why the car mfgs offer them, government environmental regulations require it.

The survey noted at the top of thread shows that only a small portion of US buyers consider EV's and that for those considering EV's concern for environment is the main reason.
  • Sorry, FISHEV, but I bought my MS because of the performance, lack of required maintenance and not buying gas.
  • Maxxer is back and Fish is rejoiced bs they will play tag
  • > @jordanrichard_629778 said: > Sorry, FISHEV, but I bought my MS because of the performance, lack of required maintenance and not buying gas. "

No need to apologize for it, the environment thanks you anyway. Even hard core Trump/GOP'ers often mask their good for the environment decisions for social reasons.

The data does put environmental concerns first on EV purchase, individual anecdotes aside.
  • That was a sarcastic “sorry”. Also, what exactly in my remark has to do with politics.
  • I’m not sure what the argument is. I guess fish is saying people don’t choose Tesla because it is a good car. They choose it as a compromise because they care so much about the environment. I don’t care, so long as evs grow in popularity. And Tesla’s dominance proves it’s the best green choice - if not the best choice outright. Howard went back to ICE - An abhorrent choice. A true embarrassment.
  • The three environmental evangelists that responded to the survey support FishEV's claim.

The thousands that didn't respond and bought Tesla's for other reasons are "individual anecdotes".

And without further ado, please enjoy FishEV's anthem...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-K2DZojWi0