Model Y

Does the Model Y have a 12V battery?

I can find info on a lead acid battery that is present in the Model 3. Does the Y have this? And is it accessible?

I am asking since I have a 12V air pump that generally cannot run on a 12V legacy outlet. I hate those outlets anyway. What a terrible design for a connector. I realize they date back to the years of the cigarette lighter and they need to start to go away in favor of a yet to be defined more robust 12V connector for vehicles.

If the Y has a 12V and it's accessible then I would like to know about in order to use my pump in the event of need for compressed air. Many, perhaps most flats are simply nail, screw or wire punctures with a slow leak and can be plugged in short order with a plug kit, air source and wire cutters to dig out the nail. I have done this a dozen times on my old vehicles and bailed out countless others with flats in parking lots or at work.

Comments

• Yes it has a 12v batt and a 12v accessory outlet.
  • Do you know how to access the battery or where it is? Or is this not recommended for, say, running a small 12V air compressor that has battery clips rather than a 12V accessory plug?
  • its where the feet are of the front passenger are, youtube will show some videos about it
  • Ok, a word of caution. The 12V in your Y is not the same animal that was in your previous ICE cars. The 12v in your Y is constantly being used to run all the electronics/lights. It is periodically recharged by a DC to DC charger, off of the traction battery. In your previous CIE cars, the battery is only used to start the car and then the alternator takes over the duty of providing electricity for all required power needs.

The point here is that the 12v in your Y is more sensitive to ancillary usages.
  • > @jordanrichard_629778 said:
    > Ok, a word of caution. The 12V in your Y is not the same animal that was in your previous ICE cars. The 12v in your Y is constantly being used to run all the electronics/lights. It is periodically recharged by a DC to DC charger, off of the traction battery. In your previous CIE cars, the battery is only used to start the car and then the alternator takes over the duty of providing electricity for all required power needs.
    >
    > The point here is that the 12v in your Y is more sensitive to ancillary usages.
    >
    >

To get what you stated clear in my old brain, let me ask a question this way.... If I'm out camping with my MY and have an electrical device plugged into the 12v accessory outlet and it runs the 12v battery too low, the traction battery will charge?
  • Check the specs on the charge outlet. Its the goofy connector but it has pretty good current limit. The current limit on the battery itself is likely not much as it is 34Ah if I remember correctly (its in the manual), physically a bit bigger than a motorcycle battery rather than ICEV size. How much current you can safely draw long enough to inflate tires is probably limited by the DC-DC converter.

btw- I have a tire compressor on my F-250 that I will definitely not be using it driven by the Model Y 12V as the current is way too high and run that off the 175A connector on the front of the truck (plenty of excess power and fused right at 125A for 135A alternator). Connector is good for electric winch or plow and massive overkill for compressor. I might get a small compressor with appropriate current draw for the Model Y and appropriate connector.

The traction battery charges the 12V battery if the car is "on". Check the manual for what constitutes on, but generally if the climate control is on, its on. The 12V socket will only be live when the car is on so if you want to be safe use that and stay within the current limits. Just checked - its 12A continuous and 16A peak (a lot for that socket type) and might even run my tire compressor (with different connector) so now I need to check the compressor.

To use an old expression - RTFM.
  • This may be a simpler problem to solve for than it appears to you. The "cigarette lighter" adapter is certainly not ideal but it is quite usable for an air compressor. Just be sure your unit does not draw more than 12 amps. Either purchase a good quality plug to replace the alligator clip leads on your existing unit, or purchase a new compressor. You are taking about dedicating the compressor for your Y, correct? These are inexpensive items. Keep it simple.

Here is the unit I use for all my cars. It draws 10A max:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L57R7F5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • RoyallC, my overall point is that you can’t treat/use the 12v in your car like you would in your previous cars. For example, you can not jump start your neighbors Honda with your Y. Even though our cars have a 12v battery, it is not the same as the 12v in an ICE car.
  • Just looked and my truck air compressor is 30A. 35A connector on it seems about right. I use a homemade pigtail to match the larger connector on the truck. Definitely will need a smaller compressor for the Model Y but I won't be inflating any tires to 90 psi so should work fine.
  • I checked my air pump and it draws 20A @ 12V.
    Does anyone know what the rear 12V jack is able to supply? I presume it is fused somewhere but IDK where the fuses are. I'm guessing in the front trunk near the battery?

I got tired of crappy air pumps that work for a couple of years and bought this one and it has been wonderful. It's designed to last and run near 100% duty cycle if needed.

https://www.viaircorp.com/portables/88p

I would have been happy with a lower CFM and lower wattage but that was not an option.
  • I can't find any official source describing the rear 12V socket (not mentioned in manual) and so no information of maximum amperage.

That said, 20A seems to be recognized the upper limit of those sockets, regardless of vehicle. That said, I would expect no more than 12A continuous and 16A peak, just like the console-mounted socket.
  • no "real" fuses if the Y is similar to the 3. some sort of electronic circuit breakers in the Tesla world.

I know 1st hand in wiring trailer lights for my 3. the brake lights and the running (marker?) lights stopped working when i attempted to power old incandescent bulbs on my old trailer. after letting it sit overnight, they all "came back". i replaced the trailer lights with LEDs and no issues at all now.

So...where exactly these electronic "breakers" are located i don't know. but they work!
  • Well, finally got around to removing the lid above the Y's battery. It is a pretty fair size battery. It should handle a 20A load if I clip directly to it. Would be interesting to see how the charging circuitry handles the load but I guess that is impossible to know. I would only clip to the battery in an emergency tire situation.