Solar Roof

When will solar roof show up in app?

We got PTO from our utility late yesterday and turned on our system (solar roof + powerwalls) today, but the "power flow" diagram in the app still looks the same. It shows Grid, Home, and Powerwall, but no roof. I can tell that the roof is producing, because we're getting negative values in our energy usage from the grid, but there's no roof icon in the app. Is this normal? Does it take time for things to show up in the app?

Comments

• That doesn't sound right at all. As soon as the install team switched on my system, I was able to see the solar roof production. I'd call the tech support line.
  • Sometimes it can take as long as a couple of days.
  • Thanks for the comments! Here's what I found out after a lot of back and forth with customer support: 1) Once the utility's PTO comes through, Tesla also has to switch things on on their end in order for the app to be activated, so this can take a few days. 2) The app won't work unless I have a gateway connected by ethernet to my home router. None of the Tesla installers ever gave this gateway to me or even mentioned it, but they are now sending one by mail. The whole installation process (begun in March) has been a comedy of errors from the start, so I shouldn't be surprised by anything anymore, but still, I'm amazed that they would simply forget such an important part of the system.
  • @SanDiegoNH - Ok, there are actually two gateways. The primary one is installed in a gray box and handles the disconnection of grid power when running the house off-grid during a grid power failure. This is all that's needed for the app to work, although it does go through the Tesla servers. It should communicate both via cellular and your local WiFi, but if both of these are blocked, then I can see the app not working.

There is a second small black box gateway that primarily to get internal solar inverter data. It allows Tesla to monitor the solar in more detail, such as error conditions. My understanding is that the gray box gateway does not get access to some of this error info. My guess is if the gray gateway can't get to Tesla's servers, the black-box gateway acts as an alternate connection.

Like you, I did not get the black box 2nd gateway, but it was mailed to me. I got it, and left it on my desk, figuring it wasn't needed. Tesla later asked that I connect it up, which I did. I didn't see any changes, but Tesla confirmed they were getting the additional data. So it's not all that important inmost instalaltions, but worthwhile. Not sure why they didn't set up from the start, but it's also not critical to the operation if the gray gateway also has communications.
  • The little Com Gateway box (~4"x4"x1") gets its data from the inverter, which is "revenue grade", which means the inverter data is highly accurate. Solar-only installations *depend on* this little box for data reporting.

Installations that include Powerwalls also have a big Tesla Energy Gateway (TEG), and use Current Transformers (CTs) for energy flow detection. These CTs feed the TEG, and are not all that accurate. The TEG is a much larger box on the wall, usually next to the main electrical panel, and might even be bigger than the main electrical panel.

IIRC, Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) installations, where the customer pays Tesla for every kWh generated, have Com Gateways regardless of whether or not they have Powerwalls, a TEG and CTs, in order to get the revenue grade data for billing. Unless you have the need for revenue-grade data for billing, an installation that includes a Powerwall might not have a little Com Gateway.
  • @gregbrew - thanks for the more detailed explanation! Makes sense.
  • Interesting! Thanks for all the useful information. The Tesla customer service person said they refer to the big grey metal box (TEG) as the "backup gateway." In my case, that's currently all I have, so it means that the app shows the power flow to/from the grid and to/from the Powerwall, but not from the solar roof. I also can't control anything about the flow from the solar roof, so for instance, I can't direct any excess power into the Powerwall (it automatically goes to the grid instead). All of these functions apparently depend on having the Com box (the small black gateway), so presumably I'll be in better shape once that arrives.