General

Car wash question

As winter approaches and it gets too cold to hand wash the car a car wash is the only answer

Do I have to stay seated in the car for neutral to work?

If I can’t stay in the car will tow mode work?

Basically what do I need to do to use a car wash- Tesla doesn’t say since they suggest you don’t use a car wash.

Comments

  • Personally, I DO use a normal 'touch' car wash with no problems and I do stay in my vehicle. My preferred local car was does not require the drivers to exit the vehicle.

    I would avoid the any carwash that does require you to exit the vehicle, as I don't know the attendants driving skills, nor familiarity with operating a Tesla, and certainly wont be teaching them in my car.

    - 1/2 the carwash employees are teenagers with minimal driving skill or... and no-one will care as much for your car as you do.
  • I wouldn't rely on tow mode (aka transport mode). You should be able to find a carwash that will let you stay in the car, so avoid any that won't.
  • Does the Tesla manual say we should not be using an automatic car wash? Pretty tough here in Minnesota during the winter.
  • > @jamesmoline_98626172 said:
    > Does the Tesla manual say we should not be using an automatic car wash? Pretty tough here in Minnesota during the winter.

    that part of the manual was written by an intern from UCLA who still has his first pimple.
  • Regardless of what the manual says, people use automatic car washes all the time. Just avoid car washes that use brushes — there are plenty that don’t. Car washes are no more harmful to Teslas than they are to other cars.
  • > @EVRider said:
    > Regardless of what the manual says, people use automatic car washes all the time. Just avoid car washes that use brushes — there are plenty that don’t. Car washes are no more harmful to Teslas than they are to other cars.

    YES, the owners manual does suggest using touch-less car washes...

    But I don't understand (nor agree) with the no brushes suggestion by Tesla. Living in the snow belt, we get snow/ice/salt/sand/and everything else on our cars, and the 'touch-less' car washes never seam to do as good a job as one that uses brushes.

    I would much rather soft brushes are used on my car than the touch-less high pressure water cannons shooting water into the seams/joints/gaps resulting in water encroachment and creating electrical issues (water getting into the camera compartments and such).

    I have not experienced, NOR have I heard of anyone else, having issues using a carwash that has brushes.

    But for those who follow the touch free car wash method and have satisfactory results - that is great to hear.
  • @Cousin_Eddie - There are brushless car washes that are not touchless, they just use something other than brushes. The ones I’ve used have hanging strips of material that move back and forth. I agree that sometimes touchless car washes don’t do the trick, but for light cleaning that’s what I use.
  • I use an automatic track based carwash frequently. I do remain seated while in the car with it in neutral. I did learn that if your car is in neutral, and if you take your seatbelt off, you have the potential to accidentally put your car in park. I took my seatbelt off to shift my weight to get to my wallet in my back pocket. In doing so, I shifted my weight enough to trigger the car to go into park therefore jumping the roller on the track and stopping the entire carwash. I almost hit the car behind me! Learned that one the hard way!
  • Here, if you go in a car wash, 10 minutes back on the road, your car looks the same.
  • Maxxer +1. If it is warm enough enough for a car wash to operate, then in all likelihood, there is melt snow/salt on the road which will promptly be back on your car again.
  • > @Maxxer said:
    > Here, if you go in a car wash, 10 minutes back on the road, your car looks the same.

    But good for the car to rinse it off once a week anyway.
  • If you use one of those touchless car washes where the car is stationary and the machinery moves around it, don’t forget to turn off Sentry Mode. 😬
  • > @FISHEV said:
    > > @Maxxer said:
    > > Here, if you go in a car wash, 10 minutes back on the road, your car looks the same.
    >
    > But good for the car to rinse it off once a week anyway.

    Never went into a car wash in my whole life.

    Any study showing it prevents corrosion?

    We need a double blinded randomized control trial on the subject to make me spend $10 weekly, $500 yearly on car washes $15,000 after 30 years
  • > @Maxxer said: > We need a double blinded randomized control trial on the subject to make me spend $10 weekly, $500 yearly on car washes $15,000 after 30 years."

    You'd have to be double blind to not notice it looks way better.
  • > @jordanrichard_629778 said:
    > Maxxer +1. If it is warm enough enough for a car wash to operate, then in all likelihood, there is melt snow/salt on the road which will promptly be back on your car again.

    You obviously don’t live in the upper Midwest where most car washes are still open at -20f , so cold, even salt and or chemicals don’t work.
  • > @Maxxer said:
    > Never went into a car wash in my whole life.
    >
    > Any study showing it prevents corrosion?

    I call BS on the first statement,

    And if you need a study to validate proof that washing/rinsing road salt and chemicals off you car reduces corrosion, you likely need proof the earth is round
Sign In or Register to comment.