Model Y

Please Help - Horrible Online Store Experience

I purchased the Tesla Roof Rack for my brand new Betty and it's missing one of the rubber mounting brackets so I can't install the front bar. They sent me two front right brackets and no front left. Unfortunately, they are specific to the mounting point.

I called my service center last friday and they said there is nothing they can do to help me and that I need to reach the store directly. Dead end

I emailed [email protected] 5 days ago, and again yesterday. No response

I filled out the online support form 5 days ago. No response

I emailed [email protected] No response

WTF!!!

I'm supposed to leave on a road trip next week and don't know what to do. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Show up at your Service Center with what you received. Someone there should be able to take the initiative to contact the appropriate department through inside communications.

This problem (communication between Tesla and customers) has become absurd. When I became an owner with my first Tesla in 2015, customers were treated like royalty, and many owners would bring cupcakes or donuts to the staff in appreciation. Those days they had Keurig coffee, several soft drink and bottled water choices, and baskets with candy bars and healthy snacks.

Those went away by the end of 2017, making that part of the service center lounges look sadly sparse.

But their products are incredible and we've had zero real issues with the S (sold in Jun '20), the M3 (Dec '17), and MY (Jun '20) with a total of close to 200K miles.

I do wish that Tesla could step up customer service to a level that matches their vehicles.
  • rxlawdude
    thanks for the post. My brother had great experiences with his first 2 MSs years ago, so I decided to get a MY and was amazed how poor my service has been. Still waiting for the car, 8weeks, so I hope it makes up for the bad service.
  • Don't know how it was back in the days but I have nothing but very good experience with Tesla and people who work there. Online store probably not a big priority for them.
  • Update - I made another call to my local sales center to no avail. A couple of follow up emails to [email protected] also went unanswered.

Finally, I got the idea to go on linkedin and started looking up random Tesla executives. I emailed Jerome Guillen, President of Tesla Automotive who then finally put me in touch with someone who could help me. They overnighted me an entirely new rack, which is installed and ready to go.

It’s a happy ending, but an incredibly disappointing experience. I truly hope they get their $hit together on the customer service side. This has been incredibly frustrating and totally unnecessary.
  • LOVE your initiative by reaching out to a Tesla Exec!
    Hopefully Tesla (execs) will see the light soon.

They make a terrific car, but even Elon has admitted in the past that they have dropped the ball on customer service and it needs significant improvement.

Looks like TESLA isn't immune to the laws of Energy Conservation...
    They move forward at lightning speed with innovation and production, but backwards with customer disservice.
  • Had nothing but positive customer experience with Tesla.
  • Just had a similar terrible experience with Tesla online store. I purchased that $400~ homelink kit from online, later on changed my mind and started the cancel process. There was no one from online store to talk to how to initiatize the return, local service centre couldn't help either. After all the steps are completed, Tesla charged me a 15% of restocking fee for that unopened, new box. I wish this was communicated to me before I made the decision... the worst part of all these is that there is absolutely NO one that you can talk to on Tesla side, going to try the tesla exec approach too....
  • > @Yny said:
    > Just had a similar terrible experience with Tesla online store. I purchased that $400~ homelink kit from online, later on changed my mind and started the cancel process. There was no one from online store to talk to how to initiatize the return, local service centre couldn't help either. After all the steps are completed, Tesla charged me a 15% of restocking fee for that unopened, new box. I wish this was communicated to me before I made the decision... the worst part of all these is that there is absolutely NO one that you can talk to on Tesla side, going to try the tesla exec approach too....
    >

not sure if I believe this one....starts with miss-information, the Homelink is $300 NOT $400
  • Plus why would I return it?
  • Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. I had a great experience with the online store. We ordered a M3 and bought some accessories. Changed to a MY. Emailed them, quick reply with shipping labels, and we dropped the returns at the FedEx. Took 3 weeks to see the credit on the card, but that's standard with any return. We were charged a 15% restocking fee on only the car cover even though we never opened the box, but again that's pretty much standard on higher priced items.
    Great idea to go to the top of the food chain after not getting help from the store. Glad you are now ready for your road trip. Enjoy.
  • Sorry to hear about these bad experiences. And, i agree that Tesla customer service has declined in recent years. But, i do recommend, like one other above, that showing up at your local service center with the actual item should help get it resolved ASAP. Something about having the actual item there verifies your situation and your physical presence adds to the urgency. My local service center has always been great when i am there in person.