Model Y

Decreased Trade in Re-Valuation, not happy

It has been exactly 32 days since I first placed an order for a Model Y Performance. Yesterday Tesla made me re-submit information on my Trade In vehicle (a 2020 Honda Ridgeline with only 6k miles). The first offer was at the very low end of the KBB value. Now today they send me a new offer for 800 less than the first! And with zero explanation as to why? The car has only a few hundred more miles on it and is in pristine condition. I sent an email to my local Tesla dealer asking for an explanation. I’m honestly considering walking away at this point. I’d rather lose a $100 deposit then $800 on my practically new trade in. I’m not happy with the way Tesla handles things so far through this whole order process as it is.
Anyone else have any success negotiating trade in values with them?
«1

Comments

  • No negotiating. I suggest exploring all other alternatives. Carmax, Carvana, Vroom. I am going with Vroom, myself. Their offer was a full 25% higher than Tesla. Also, my Tesla offer for sure will expire before I get my new MY.
  • Two trade ins with Tesla both went smooth and above what Carmax offered me. First was 2017 Mazda CX-9, second VW Atlas 2019. You are selling 2020 car expect to lose the most no matter what your milage. My 2019 had same amount of miles as your 2020.
  • Problem with not accepting the trade in is that here in Ohio we don't have to pay taxes on the trade in value. So, if I sell it privately I have to make sure to sell it for more than I would get for the trade in plus tax savings, which would be about 2300. Shouldn't be too hard to do, but selling a car this new for top dollar is tough if you're not a dealer.
    I just honestly don't feel like messing with it. Not sure what I want to do at this point. Maybe I should wait for the Rivian R1T to come out and decide then, lol?
  • 800 dollars not that big of a deal.
  • I know, it's just the principle of it. I was ready to buy this car a month ago and now I'm having to pay 800 more for the same deal. I'm venting obviously. I'll probably still go through with it.
  • Trade in prices fluctuate all the time. Who knows maybe you will get better deal when it will be closer to your delivery.
  • I accidentally sent two trade-in applications to Tesla few minutes apart, and I got the email a minute apart. The second trade-in value was $1,100 lower than my first email but when I accepted the higher trade-in value the lower value was the one that showed up on my quote. I talked to the sales rep and he told me that they made a mistake on the higher trade-in value quote which is closer to the offer I got from a car dealership in town. I ended up accepting the lower trade-in value from Tesla since Washington State gives you sales tax credit for trade-in’s.
  • > @PinoyNW said:
    > I accidentally sent two trade-in applications to Tesla few minutes apart, and I got the email a minute apart. The second trade-in value was $1,100 lower than my first email but when I accepted the higher trade-in value the lower value was the one that showed up on my quote. I talked to the sales rep and he told me that they made a mistake on the higher trade-in value quote which is closer to the offer I got from a car dealership in town. I ended up accepting the lower trade-in value from Tesla since Washington State gives you sales tax credit for trade-in’s.

    Ouch that probably stung a little
  • @Hightower,

    Try using carvana, they gave me almost $5k more for my 2014 model S than Tesla offered me.
  • Unlike other car companies, Tesla is not in the business of used car sales. Tesla undoubtedly gets bids from local wholesale dealers for your trade in. They really can careless about your trade so its not a money maker for them like other car manufacture with dealerships. So long story short, 9/10 times their trade in offer is less than you can get at other places. Oh and FYI, KBB is not a place to get good numbers. NADA is the one.
  • We had the same experience. Received a fairly low end offer and then about 2 days later they gave us another offer $1200 less than the first. We decided to list it locally, sold it in a day and for average KBB. Sell it on your own. Buy the Tesla! You wont regret it. We have had our model Y for about a month and love it!!!
  • Same thing just happened to me. I am trading a 2019 FSD LR FC for a new FSD MY. Was supposed to pick up this past Saturday but vehicle was rejected for quality issues by the service staff. Am told that I have a soft date for a new MY on 12/6. I asked the Sales rep to inquire if they could extend the trade in value given the circumstances. Order was placed on 10/28. They have now adjusted my Trade In by a $1,300 reduction, even though the original 30 days has not yet expired. This type of Bait and Switch is something I would expect from a legacy car dealer, not Tesla. I though Teslas with FD were supposed to be "Appreciating Assets", doesn't seem that Tesla looks at it that way.
  • That was a 2019 FSD M3, not FC
  • > @PinoyNW said:
    > I accidentally sent two trade-in applications to Tesla few minutes apart, and I got the email a minute apart. The second trade-in value was $1,100 lower than my first email but when I accepted the higher trade-in value the lower value was the one that showed up on my quote. I talked to the sales rep and he told me that they made a mistake on the higher trade-in value quote which is closer to the offer I got from a car dealership in town. I ended up accepting the lower trade-in value from Tesla since Washington State gives you sales tax credit for trade-in’s.

    @PinoyNW what sales tax credits do you speak of? I’m in Washington state and the only sales tax credit I’ve seen is for qualifying vehicles under $45K. Is that the one you’re talking about?
  • > @bigtrayn_98386266 said:
    >
    >
    > > @PinoyNW said:
    > > I accidentally sent two trade-in applications to Tesla few minutes apart, and I got the email a minute apart. The second trade-in value was $1,100 lower than my first email but when I accepted the higher trade-in value the lower value was the one that showed up on my quote. I talked to the sales rep and he told me that they made a mistake on the higher trade-in value quote which is closer to the offer I got from a car dealership in town. I ended up accepting the lower trade-in value from Tesla since Washington State gives you sales tax credit for trade-in’s.
    >
    > @PinoyNW what sales tax credits do you speak of? I’m in Washington state and the only sales tax credit I’ve seen is for qualifying vehicles under $45K. Is that the one you’re talking about?

    They might be talking about the fact that you don't have to pay sales tax on the value of the trade-in when you buy a new car at the same time you're trading in. In other words, if you're buying a $20k car and your trade is in worth $5k then you only owe sales tax on $15k of the new car. In Ohio we have this law. That's why it's best to trade in to the dealer you're buying from and not a 3rd party. If you sell It privately or to a third party like Caravana, you have to factor that in to the price because you won't be saving any taxes on the new purchase. So far me, it's easiest and makes most sense to still trade into Tesla even though they are giving bottom dollar for it. I did compare their offer to others and it's low, but still within reasonable range, so unfortunately this is just the way the used car prices moved this month.

    I just hope the Model Y ends up being a good reliable car because my main justification for spending this much on it is that I plan on driving it for a long time and with the gas/oil change savings it will not be as expensive of a purchase with that factored in.
  • I am going thru the same issue. It seems to me, if you cannot deliver the car in a timely manner, then you should not make your customer(who is spending 50K+). What about delivering the car in 4 weeks
  • > @subsail said:
    > I am going thru the same issue. It seems to me, if you cannot deliver the car in a timely manner, then you should not make your customer(who is spending 50K+). What about delivering the car in 4 weeks
    >

    If you are not satisfied don't buy. Very simple.
  • Another vote for Vroom. I dont recall how much more Vroom gave me than Tesla's offer but i think it was at least 3k, probably more like 5k. And the vroom process was quick and painless.
  • Went with Carmax for my 2012 Volvo. Beat the Tesla trade-in by $3K. The only used cars Tesla wants are used Teslas. Anything else they get rid of likely not making much money on the resale. ICE and Tesla do not mix.
  • > @WW_icefree said:
    > > @subsail said:
    > > I am going thru the same issue. It seems to me, if you cannot deliver the car in a timely manner, then you should not make your customer(who is spending 50K+). What about delivering the car in 4 weeks
    > >
    >
    > If you are not satisfied don't buy. Very simple.

    what does that have to do with being a better company and giving better service. just saying.
  • > @subsail said:
    > > @WW_icefree said:
    > > > @subsail said:
    > > > I am going thru the same issue. It seems to me, if you cannot deliver the car in a timely manner, then you should not make your customer(who is spending 50K+). What about delivering the car in 4 weeks
    > > >
    > >
    > > If you are not satisfied don't buy. Very simple.
    >
    > what does that have to do with being a better company and giving better service. just saying.

    Bc Tesla is making as many cars as they can. Demand is high. If you are so spoiled and can't wait don't buy.
  • im in same boat. If my order for new MY is over 30 days Tesla offer me lower amount i will walk away.
  • Its funny how people dont read what is posted, in some states YOU GET TAX CREDIT for your trade in !!
    Read that carefully.
    It can be over 3k , like in my case.
    Plus convenience , you just swap your car with new Tesla at the time of delivery.
    With carvana, vroom YOU CAN NOT DO THAT!!
  • I sold my car with Vroom. I was nervous at first, I read a lot of bad reviews from folks buying cars. Luckily for me I was just selling because I had already ordered my MY. I got nearly 1600 more than the next highest offer from local dealerships and they drove here to pick it up without a hassle. Check in the mail with delivery on Monday. Didn't expect it to go this well!
  • > @WW_icefree said:
    > > @subsail said:
    > > > @WW_icefree said:
    > > > > @subsail said:
    > > > > I am going thru the same issue. It seems to me, if you cannot deliver the car in a timely manner, then you should not make your customer(who is spending 50K+). What about delivering the car in 4 weeks
    > > > >
    > > >
    > > > If you are not satisfied don't buy. Very simple.
    > >
    > > what does that have to do with being a better company and giving better service. just saying.
    >
    > Bc Tesla is making as many cars as they can. Demand is high. If you are so spoiled and can't wait don't buy.

    Thanks for having such professional insights into who I am as a person. I will be gracious and thank you for providing me with free online therapy.
Sign In or Register to comment.