General

Tesla sales tried to sell me a "new" inventory car that's was nearly totaled

Just wondering what everyone thinks.

I recently went to a Tesla center and, after test driving, decided to place an order for a new Model Y. The salesperson informed me that there was an inventory car that exactly matched my configuration and was ~$2000 less. It had less than 50 miles (so it's not a demo car or had been previously owned) and seemed to have a bumper replaced which he said is commonly damaged during transport. He went on and said that this is all internal and Tesla is not required to disclose it so it's not in public record. I went ahead and placed the order and was informed next day that the car will be delivered in 3-4 days. I then paid the remaining balance for the car and scheduled for delivery.

While obtaining insurance for the car, I was alerted that there's a history associated with this car that caused an increase in premium. I thought something's going on and called the Tesla center several times daily over the next few days requesting for repair record. Every salesperson told me they couldn't see report of what was repaired until today (the day before scheduled delivery) when a salesperson advised me to not take the car because something happened to the car that required 48k worth of repair.

I just want to vent a bit because I thought this is totally unacceptable. I would have unknowingly purchase a "nearly totaled" car as a new car if I haven't investigated further. And no one actually tried to disclose the real damage until I luckily talked to this salesperson the day before delivery who disclosed it. Has this happened to anyone else? Think this is something that I should make a formal complaint to the Tesla center?

Comments

• Flagged
  • TEA SCORE 100.

Insurance companies know of pre-delivery damage and repairs for a vehicle that's never been registered? Beyond absurd.
  • 48k for repair hahah same as brand new car sounds legit.
  • B.S. meter pegged
  • > @rxlawdude said:> Insurance companies know of pre-delivery damage and repairs for a vehicle that's never been registered?

Tesla files claim with the car carrier? Tesla files claim with own insurance company after an accident of some kind?
  • Yes I was told by the salesperson that Tesla probably filed claim with the carrier and so it's on Carfax report.
  • > @FISHEV said:
    > > @rxlawdude said:> Insurance companies know of pre-delivery damage and repairs for a vehicle that's never been registered?
    >
    > Tesla files claim with the car carrier? Tesla files claim with own insurance company after an accident of some kind?
    >
    >

That would not be automotive insurance. That would be general business insurance, and I would be shocked that a report would flow on an unregistered vehicle's VIN.

But then, you're always full of shit in your incessant attempts to libel Tesla.
  • Nice lawdude! Has he posted other bs items before?
  • > @CoOlxtOny said:
    > Yes I was told by the salesperson that Tesla probably filed claim with the carrier and so it's on Carfax report.

That makes sense. You would have a hard time selling it later and Tesla itself would likely not value the trade in.

Depending on the consumer protection laws in your state, had they not disclosed that to you and you found out later, you would likely be able to get full refund and Tesla would likely face some agency fines.
  • Congrats OP biggest troll on this site is your new best friend. You should make prefect couple.
  • > @rxlawdude said:
    > > @FISHEV said:
    > > > @rxlawdude said:> Insurance companies know of pre-delivery damage and repairs for a vehicle that's never been registered?
    > >
    > > Tesla files claim with the car carrier? Tesla files claim with own insurance company after an accident of some kind?
    > >
    > >
    >
    > That would not be automotive insurance. That would be general business insurance, and I would be shocked that a report would flow on an unregistered vehicle's VIN.
    >
    > But then, you're always full of shit in your incessant attempts to libel Tesla.

lol. I am simply describing the experience, which was shocking to me. I even took screenshots of the alert I got from the insurance company as well as carafe, so I didn't make anything up. I don't know the regulation regarding disclosure of such pre-delivery damage, but fact that consumer was not told of such extensive damage when purchasing a "new" car was surprising.
  • Total bullshit. Next
  • > @WW_icefree said:
    > Congrats OP biggest troll on this site is your new best friend. You should make prefect couple.

I don't care about your feud with another internet user for whatever reason. I'm simply stating facts and describing my personal experience as is. I'm only posting because I want to know if this is something serious or if it has happened to other people, as this is my first time getting a Tesla.
  • Post the exact VIN.
  • > @rxlawdude said:
    > Post the exact VIN.

5YJYGDEE4LF012796
  • > @CoOlxtOny said: > 5YJYGDEE4LF012796

Yikes...Not sure that was wise unless that's the car you didn't buy.

As you see, the group here is not mentally stable and posting any kind of identifying personal data is risky.
  • Thanks. I didn't purchase the car as I found out about the issue.
  • Probably would have been better to post a link to the screenshots you have of the carfax.
  • > @FISHEV said:
    > > @CoOlxtOny said: > 5YJYGDEE4LF012796
    >
    > Yikes...Not sure that was wise unless that's the car you didn't buy.
    >
    > As you see, the group here is not mentally stable and posting any kind of identifying personal data is risky.
    >
    >

Thanks for the heads up. I'm done venting. I canceled the purchase as recommend by the other salesperson so it's fine. I'm going to bring this up directly to Tesla center instead of posting here any further :P
  • Lol good luck.
  • > @CoOlxtOny said:
    > > @rxlawdude said:
    > > > @FISHEV said:
    > > > > @rxlawdude said:> Insurance companies know of pre-delivery damage and repairs for a vehicle that's never been registered?
    > > >
    > > > Tesla files claim with the car carrier? Tesla files claim with own insurance company after an accident of some kind?
    > > >
    > > >
    > >
    > > That would not be automotive insurance. That would be general business insurance, and I would be shocked that a report would flow on an unregistered vehicle's VIN.
    > >
    > > But then, you're always full of shit in your incessant attempts to libel Tesla.
    >
    > lol. I am simply describing the experience, which was shocking to me. I even took screenshots of the alert I got from the insurance company as well as carafe, so I didn't make anything up. I don't know the regulation regarding disclosure of such pre-delivery damage, but fact that consumer was not told of such extensive damage when purchasing a "new" car was surprising.

Yeah, can you post those screenshots?
  • I’m a fanboy but if you think there are no bad actors in Tesla sales you’re WRONG. When I got my MY it had many problems that were obvious if you drove the thing, plus missing all the underbody panels plus seat problems. Took it back the next day and told them to give back my $67K and keep your piece of crap, However they had a Y with paint damage an took all the parts off that car to fix the crap car. I waited in the “Dealership” as they said they could fix it. Five hours later all fixed, same day. If they didn’t fix it THAT day I would not have a Tesla today. Don’t be so quick to think Tesla sales can do no wrong.
  • Salesmen are Salesmen.
  • Can anyone with a Carfax subscription please run that VIN? I'm not going to spend money for a fishing trip that will show no records.
  • > @blkice said:
    > I’m a fanboy but...

To the tune of a totalled car being repaired and sold as new? Sorry, total bullshit.