Model Y

Feature Request: Alert to not forget your phone in the car

Someone made this request earlier but I couldn't find it. I've now forgotten my phone in the console probably 10 times. black on black, it's invisible.

A warning sound "Don't forget your phone!" would be great.

Comments

• Kinda unrealistic since very hard to implement.

First I am sure you maybe have used walk away lock and you have to be 20 or so feet away for that to kick in. So how should the car determine that you have forgot your phone how would you design and implement the feature?

Would it be no one is sitting in the driver's seat, how long?, what if you are just putting in groceries or picking someone up like the kids and loading the back or putting in the baby?, do you think others doing these things want to hear an alarm?

You will not convince me as this is the same as leaving your keys in the car sitting on the car seat and wanting the car to notify you that you have left your keys sitting on the console.

Bottom line is the phone is your keys and many cars today don't use a real key that you have to insert so just remember your phone like you use to remember your keys.

Further use the honk on lock with the walk away lock train yourself like it did to hear the honk on lock. I don't hear the honk on lock guess what I left the phone in the car. So really the car already has this feature and a much better version of it as it makes sure you have locked your car also.
  • Thanks for the lecture. It would still be nice.
  • > @JaxY said:
    > Thanks for the lecture. It would still be nice.

Yea sometimes when I am in a rush I forget to wipe it would be nice if the toilet seat reminded me when I got up. At least this would be much easier of a feature to implement.

If you really forget your phone so much I don't see why you can't set honk on lock and walk away lock problem solved no new feature you can have it today right now.

Also great to say a feature would be nice, I ask you to work through the functions so that you can see there is no practical way to implement such a feature.

Lots of things would be nice issue is many are not practical.
  • I agree with JaxY. I have had 2 Tesla's (3P and Y) for some time now and it would be really nice to have a USER selectable feature that would remind you pick up your phone when the seat sensor determines that you are out of the seat for a second or two.
    The walk away beep is not really consistent and sometimes I can be 10' away and it will lock and others I can be our of audible range (in a noisy environment and >100'), so this is not reliable.
    This setting would be practical and would be perfect for me.
  • It is not hard at all to implement. Audi figured it out. When I turned off the car and opened the door there was an alert that my phone was still in the charger. I used to yell at the voice "I know! Give me a second!". lol I miss that now.
  • > @Evgirl50 said:
    > It is not hard at all to implement. Audi figured it out. When I turned off the car and opened the door there was an alert that my phone was still in the charger. I used to yell at the voice "I know! Give me a second!". lol I miss that now.

That’s because it’s plugged in right? A lot easier than a phone just sitting somewhere in the car.
  • How about don’t pair your phone as a key and just get a fob. That would solve your issue. Car would be locked and protect your phone that you forgot.
  • That's a great idea. I forget my phone on the charger as well. Just a quick beep-beep when you open the door and get out of the seat with the phone on the charger.
  • > @stever_98261240 said:
    > > @Evgirl50 said:
    > > It is not hard at all to implement. Audi figured it out. When I turned off the car and opened the door there was an alert that my phone was still in the charger. I used to yell at the voice "I know! Give me a second!". lol I miss that now.
    >
    > That’s because it’s plugged in right? A lot easier than a phone just sitting somewhere in the car.
    >

I had a wireless charger built into my Audi, but they phone was more visible so I didn't need the alert as often. I assume that's what the OP is talking about. The MY charger is in a dark spot and it's easy to leave the car without the phone.
  • And maybe the driver side camera could look as you walk up and tell you if your socks don't match. How about just making sure you have your phone when you get out of the car?
  • Wow, who knew this would be such a polarizing topic. But now that I know Audi has such a feature, seems it's not so crrrrrazy after all. It's like my last car, when the moonroof was open, it reminded me as soon as I opened the door. How INSANE is THAT? I guess I could have looked up before I got out of the car, but you know, I kind of liked it having my back. As for how my humble little phone reminder request would be implemented, ummm... I'm not a software developer, but something tells me this wouldn't be that extreme a task if the phone is sitting in the wireless charger.

And now for my next #featurerequest... I would really appreciate it if every time I walked up to my car, the frunk would pop open and confetti and springy snakes would fly out. Get on that, would you?
  • Mine already does that JaxY.
  • > @JaxY said:
    > Wow, who knew this would be such a polarizing topic. But now that I know Audi has such a feature, seems it's not so crrrrrazy after all. It's like my last car, when the moonroof was open, it reminded me as soon as I opened the door. How INSANE is THAT? I guess I could have looked up before I got out of the car, but you know, I kind of liked it having my back. As for how my humble little phone reminder request would be implemented, ummm... I'm not a software developer, but something tells me this wouldn't be that extreme a task if the phone is sitting in the wireless charger.
    >
    > And now for my next #featurerequest... I would really appreciate it if every time I walked up to my car, the frunk would pop open and confetti and springy snakes would fly out. Get on that, would you?

My previous car (Hyundai Kona EV) also had this warning if I left my phone on the wireless charger. Hyundai certainly isn't high end like Audi or Tesla, but they managed to do it. I don't have a horse in this race, but thought I'd add another statistic :)
  • I wonder if Tesla could add a feature that if your phone is connected as a phone key and you put the car into Park (and perhaps open a door?), a message flashes onscreen to remember your phone. It seems like there are many people on this forum that never forget their phones, but I'm one of those who do.
  • JaxY, You could buy a brightly colored phone case so it would be easier to see on the charger.
  • > @vi9cki said:
    > JaxY, You could buy a brightly colored phone case so it would be easier to see on the charger.

Yes a much better idea, I like your thinking.
  • > @JaxY said:
    > Someone made this request earlier but I couldn't find it. I've now forgotten my phone in the console probably 10 times. black on black, it's invisible.
    >
    > A warning sound "Don't forget your phone!" would be great.

@JaxY

it's a greta request, I have walked away a dozen times so far and and had to walk back in to my garage to get my phone.

@007bond is just an angry poster to everyone.. they can make the car drive itself but this would be a "hard" thing to figure out....

Give me a break.. don't post if you always so negative.
  • > @steveroach said:

> @007bond is just an angry poster to everyone.. they can make the car drive itself but this would be a "hard" thing to figure out....
    >
    > Give me a break.. don't post if you always so negative.
    >

Listen @steveroach been on here over 2 years search and check it out I answer many questions and help newbies out so I am not an angry poster that is a FALSE statement but ok everyone is entitled to an opinion even you. Not sure why you singled me out but whatever you obviously don't know me or know of my posts you or really know what you are even talking about. So I will give you a break that you just did not know.

There are a lot of things that would be nice I am sure we can all come up with a long list that is not the issue. The issue is, is it really needed and how practical would it be to use or implement. Yea I am sure Tesla can figure it out but but everything they develop requires resources and yes money. So they go for what brings the most use or value to the most owners. Yes if enough people express a need eventually the squeaky wheel will get oiled regardless.

Oh and not sure where you are from @steveroach but I live in a land with freedom of speech so if you don't like it don't read it the choice is yours.
  • BMW has this feature in the X3. Super helpful.
  • This is a good idea and no doubt we’ll see it in a future release.

I can also see this idea being already patented and costing $ to license. I believe the cameras reading speed limit signs by AP 2 + cars was delayed because of patents. That’s from casual posts I’ve seen so maybe that’s wrong. Still, that concept illustrates my point (which may not matter).

Personally I haven’t left my phone in the car YET, but having a black phone on a black charging matt... I could see doing that :smile:

Perhaps we’re all a little on edge in general and can read more into a post and / or take it more personally than intended right now. I know that I have refrained from posting light-hearted friendly jabs for this reason. It turns out not everyone here is from New Jersey and sees humor the way I do.
  • > @vi9cki said:
    > JaxY, You could buy a brightly colored phone case so it would be easier to see on the charger.

Maybe, but alas, the phone screen is black. The case isn't really visible when it's in the charger. BUT now that you mention it, maybe when the car is put in Park, the phone screen turns on like it does when you place it on the wireless charger. Just that illumination would get my attention.

Maybe it lights up with confetti and snakes, but that's 2.0.
  • > @JaxY said:
    > > @vi9cki said:
    > > JaxY, You could buy a brightly colored phone case so it would be easier to see on the charger.
    >
    > Maybe, but alas, the phone screen is black. The case isn't really visible when it's in the charger. BUT now that you mention it, maybe when the car is put in Park, the phone screen turns on like it does when you place it on the wireless charger. Just that illumination would get my attention.
    >
    > Maybe it lights up with confetti and snakes, but that's 2.0.

I leave small neon Post-it notes for myself. Maybe put one on the inside of your driver side door by the door open button with the word, "Phone" on it. Or tie a piece of colorful ribbon to the door handle. Just until it is your habit to pick up the phone.
    Can you tell I'm rather absent minded?

Obviously, you have never had to clean up confetti. :)
  • > @vi9cki said:
    > Obviously, you have never had to clean up confetti. :)

Glitter then. Much easier. :)
  • > @007bond said:
    > > @steveroach said:
    >
    > > @007bond is just an angry poster to everyone.. they can make the car drive itself but this would be a "hard" thing to figure out....
    > >
    > > Give me a break.. don't post if you always so negative.
    > >
    >
    > Listen @steveroach been on here over 2 years search and check it out I answer many questions and help newbies out so I am not an angry poster that is a FALSE statement but ok everyone is entitled to an opinion even you. Not sure why you singled me out but whatever you obviously don't know me or know of my posts you or really know what you are even talking about. So I will give you a break that you just did not know.
    >
    > There are a lot of things that would be nice I am sure we can all come up with a long list that is not the issue. The issue is, is it really needed and how practical would it be to use or implement. Yea I am sure Tesla can figure it out but but everything they develop requires resources and yes money. So they go for what brings the most use or value to the most owners. Yes if enough people express a need eventually the squeaky wheel will get oiled regardless.
    >
    > Oh and not sure where you are from @steveroach but I live in a land with freedom of speech so if you don't like it don't read it the choice is yours.

GRRRRRR angry!!!!

Congrats on your 2 years!!!

GRrrr.......
  • > @007bond said:
    > Kinda unrealistic since very hard to implement.
    >
    > First I am sure you maybe have used walk away lock and you have to be 20 or so feet away for that to kick in. So how should the car determine that you have forgot your phone how would you design and implement the feature?
    >
    > Would it be no one is sitting in the driver's seat, how long?, what if you are just putting in groceries or picking someone up like the kids and loading the back or putting in the baby?, do you think others doing these things want to hear an alarm?
    >
    > You will not convince me as this is the same as leaving your keys in the car sitting on the car seat and wanting the car to notify you that you have left your keys sitting on the console.
    >
    > Bottom line is the phone is your keys and many cars today don't use a real key that you have to insert so just remember your phone like you use to remember your keys.
    >
    > Further use the honk on lock with the walk away lock train yourself like it did to hear the honk on lock. I don't hear the honk on lock guess what I left the phone in the car. So really the car already has this feature and a much better version of it as it makes sure you have locked your car also.

Agree with 007bond...and agree with OP that having this audio reminder would be nice. I had this reminder on my SQ5 BUT the key difference was I had to have the phone plugged in, which made it easy for the vehicle to detect my phone was still in the car. Since Tesla has the wireless charger, it'd be extremely difficult to reliably implement this feature.