Model S

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Charging for 600 mile trip

Do you charge 100% for a 600 mile trip? My range is supposed to be 400 miles.

Comments

• 90-100% will do, you will still need to charge once on the way.
  • I'd plan for two stops along the way. You sound new to EV driving, so there are factors that will become obvious as you drive more. High speed, cold weather, headwinds for example are going to reduce your range, as much as 30%.

After leaving home, it's also faster to charge what you need to get to the next Supercharger. That may mean charging to 70-80% so long as you expect to arrive to the next charger with a 20% SOC safety margin. You can charge to 100% at a Supercharger, but while it may take 40 minutes to go from 20% to 80%, it may take another 40 minutes to go from 80% to 100%.

I've likely tossed a lot to think about. This guide on Supercharging outlines how it all works and strategies to reduce your overall charging:
    https://teslatap.com/articles/supercharger-superguide/

After 4-5 trips, it will become second nature and much easier.
  • I usually charge 100% at home for long trips since the extra time to charge doesn't bother me. Then I charge to 80-90% at superchargers because waiting for 100% takes too long. I also only have about 250 miles of range on my 75D so I have to pay more attention to this than you do.
  • No point in charging to 100% if you’ll arrive at your first supercharger with a significant reserve because that slows the supercharging rate.
  • I’ll leave the supercharger by 60% if it safely gets me to the next SC. That’s the most efficient approach time wise.
  • > @Bighorn said:
    > No point in charging to 100% if you’ll arrive at your first supercharger with a significant reserve because that slows the supercharging rate.

While I rarely disagree with the master of trip takingm this is one of those rare instances. Time spent at a supercharger is wasted time, unless you stop for a meal. I'd charge at home from to 100% a few hours before leaving.
  • I used to think like that a couple thousand chargers back. Experience is an excellent teacher.
  • Just set your destination in nav and see what it tells you to do. I always leave for a trip with 100% (just make sure to leave as soon as you charged to that). Not that complicated. We did our 1800 miles round trip as our first long trip and had zero problems figuring out what to do and reaching next Supercharger. Car is smart and will let you know and show you in trip graph everything you need to see.
  • Bighorn, is correct too but it makes you stop more often vs spending more time at the charger. I prefer less stops more time at the charger since I have kids and it works for me.
  • When you’re doing 1200 mile days, it’s nice to break it up into smaller chunks. I like 100 mile segments best.
  • > @Bighorn said:
    > When you’re doing 1200 mile days, it’s nice to break it up into smaller chunks. I like 100 mile segments best.

I feel you plus you are older. I prefer 200 miles between chargers.
  • I’m usually solo. Not sure the older part is pertinent since I can outdrive pretty much anyone. And I’m not taking but a couple pee breaks a day😂
  • Start by asking the car where she thinks you should stop. The software seems to favor fewer stops and longer charging, and as @Bighorn and @TeslaTap.com say that actually takes longer unless you are simultaneously doing something else, like eating. And a larger charge, especially near or above 80%, takes longer than she predicts.

Extra charging at home just before the trip (don't leave her at 100% for long) may allow you to skip the first supercharger of the day (see @barrykmd).

I add a supercharger stop between the recommended ones if available near my route if the charging time is predicted to be over 40 minutes.

I don't travel like Bighorn (I don't think anyone else does), but I have a regular route of about 675 miles. I stop four times. I watch the predicted SoC (State of Charge) at my destination. If it starts going down, I slow down a few MPH. If it starts going up, I may speed up a little. That compensates for weather and winds if needed (see TeslaTap).

Make sure you read the supercharger guide that TeslaTap wrote. His documentation is the standard, just like Bighorn's suggestions come from the most experienced traveler.
  • @RAR I’ve found several of the nav charted long routes to be overly ambitious leading to searching out the intermediate charger anyway since it either forces you to slow down immediately or say you can’t make it. I don’t enjoy eking out the last stretch or being power limited, especially when having to rep the brand against a challenger.
  • > @Bighorn said:
    > I used to think like that a couple thousand chargers back. Experience is an excellent teacher.

My experience says otherwise. And I've been to tens of chargers :-)
  • I like to charge to 97% to have regen braking and it gets me to Kettleman City Supercharger.
  • @TranzNDance
    On the 3 at least, you don’t get close to full regen until you drop below 90%. Hard to believe that the anti-limited regen crowd would willingly limit their regen.
  • I used to charge to 100%, but found it really was not necessary. Now I usually to what @Bighorn does and just charge to the usual 80% which is plenty to get to the first supercharger. The extra few minutes there because I arrive with 20% instead of 40% is no big deal.

To me the biggest advantage of a 400 mile battery is charging really fast to 250 or 300 miles at a supercharger, not the additional range. Of course, the extra range is nice on the few routes where there are no superchargers.
  • Bump