Model 3

Sentry Settings Change WHILE AT WORK and corrupts footage

Okay, for the past 2 weeks my sentry settings have been getting a bit finicky. I'm going to check my TeslaCam SSD for errors on my PC and then use the car's reformatter to see if that fixes the corruption issue.

But on the off chance this is a side affect of the FIRST issue, I'm hoping to get some insight on what might be happening.

Currently on version 2020.44.10.1, JUST got the 10.1 update as of 2 days ago, but the sentry settings issue occurred shortly before that, probably since the 44.10 update.

Ever since then, I've noticed my sentry events have become WAY less frequent. Even procing my car as I walk up to it after work seems to have halted completely. I tried toggling Sentry mode On and Off in the safety menu, and noticed my excludes keep getting reset EVERY time I toggle it. Apparently this issue has been going on since....last year.....how in the HELL hasn't this issue been fixed? Even if this was JUST a UI bug, HOW has this gone unfixed for this long?

I've seen other forums suggest resetting the car until you get the desired setting...which works.....after several attempts. And tried checking exclude home (which at home and the GPS confirms this), turn off Bluetooth. Wait outside the garage for a few minutes, walk back in, and wave my hands around the car and....nothing. Good. I then uncheck ALL excludes so it SHOULD activate everywhere. I walk away again, wait, come back, wave at the side camera and....still nothing. Not good.

Toggling the sentry through the phone app off and on SEEMED to fix that, but my next test proves this to be pointless.

As of today, I've discovered another GLARING issue that should NOT go under the radar. I park my car at work (which I have set in my GPS but do not have ANY excludes turned on.) Sentry mode SHOULD proc for ANY and all events now, correct? Nope! I did the app toggle before leaving the car to make sure it worked, which it did, I have the footage to prove it, too. I come back to the car after 8 hours, cars that were on all sides of my car (that are now gone) SHOULD have set off the sentry cam while I was at work. I get back to the car, 1 event.....the one I made when I arrived.

I check the Sentry, it's turned on. I check the menu, it's toggled on. I toggle it off and then back on...All three exclude checkboxes now tick on.....

At this point I'd like to ask......for such a BIG security feature touted by Tesla, this is buggy and inconsistent as HELL. Why did I even spend the money on an SSD to get security footage if A) It doesn't even seem to record properly and B) The literal ONLY toggles we have for the mode to work....don't even work once you walk away from it for more than 10 minutes.

Comments

• Sentry is in no way perfect but I am not having issues like you are reporting. I also have Sentry off at home and on at work. Also 44.10.1 and it works well. Does it miss some things.... Yes..... but it always turns on and off properly for me. Maybe call support and ask them to resend the update. Or wait and see what happens when you get 48.
  • Sentry mode pretty stopped working on the last update (or two updates ago, who knows).

I stopped getting any Sentry modes other than myself in the AM and PM getting into the car.

Just as well winter and it saves on energy to have it off.
  • so it only works when it sees you? You really need to get better al lying...
  • > @Joshan said:> so it only works when it sees you?"

More likely when the phone bluetooth connects. The complaint by owners before was way too many false Sentry recordings, now none. Clearly Tesla is messing with it but not telling owners.
  • I had 150 events one day and 125 another in the last 2 weeks (storms overnight). It's not a general software issue.
  • > @hokiegir1 said:
    > I had 150 events one day and 125 another in the last 2 weeks (storms overnight). It's not a general software issue. “

Well not an issue for the fanbois but all actual Tesla owners are having issues with Sentry. That’s why Tesla stopped you crazy kids from deleting other owner posts. So let the real owners talk about the issues and the perfect car crowd can play in their own sandbox.
  • wouldn't hokiegirl be a fangirl? idiot...
  • Sentry mode works as usual in our model 3.
  • *sigh* Once again -- reading is FUNdamental. And anyone who believes I'm not a real owner has seriously not been paying attention for the last nearly 3 years and 62k miles of my ownership.

I'm not saying the OP doesn't have a Sentry issue. I'm saying it's not a general software version issue. I've been generally pretty balanced in stating what works and what doesn't -- and sometimes I can even sort out WHY something doesn't work as expected.

We recently had a corrupted flash drive with one that had been flawless since Sentry was introduced. It was suddenly crapping out at every turn -- including missing some fairly important footage of an incident when we didn't realize it wasn't overwriting and was full (this was in August). I replaced the 128G flash drive with a 2TB SSD, and so far, so good. I've also tried to remember to clear it more often, even though it's supposed to overwrite (this is a potential software issue, but it's not just the current version).

And I'm *CLEARLY* not a boi. It's right there in the name.
  • Also -- after re-reading the initial post: @SirChronocide -- do you happen to use an Easy Entry profile?
  • @SirChronocide, I don't think the car's formatter works on SSD drives.
  • > @gmr6415 said:
    > @SirChronocide, I don't think the car's formatter works on SSD drives.

It did on this one (and I'm correcting my earlier post with this, too -- I thought I had a 2TB, but I only got the 250GB version):
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078SVRH4B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • @hokiegir1, I haven't tried it in a while, and maybe it's changed, but it didn't like the 3 partitions on my 500GB.
  • Oh -- partitions might be the problem. Mine isn't partitioned.
  • > @hokiegir1 said:
    > Oh -- partitions might be the problem. Mine isn't partitioned.

I can confirm if it has multiple partitions you cannot format any SSD, stick or drive in the car. As of 2020.44.10.1 that is...
  • I’m an actual owner. I have a 2019 and a 2020. Both are on 2020.44.10.1. The only issue I’ve had with Sentry Mode is on my 2020 the exclude home does not seem to work. The 2019 has always worked. I haven’t had a chance to do the “drive somewhere, set the exclusion, the drive home” trick to make it start working on the 2020 (the 2020 is my wife’s).

Every time I go shopping I return to the car with at least 1 event from someone walking past.
  • It appears google maps places my address about 100 feet from where my house actually is. Yet it works on my 2019.
  • > @AmokTime said:
    > It appears google maps places my address about 100 feet from where my house actually is. Yet it works on my 2019.

There are instructions for moving the pin closer to your parking location on this forum.
  • > @hokiegir1 said:
    > Also -- after re-reading the initial post: @SirChronocide -- do you happen to use an Easy Entry profile?

AHA! A potential lead! Yes, I DO have Easy Entry on. Is there a niche issue related to having this feature?

I should also note I have not only my phone, but 3 other family members.

> @gmr6415 said:
    > @SirChronocide, I don't think the car's formatter works on SSD drives.

Car seemed to format my 500gb Samsung T7 drive just fine. Mind you this is after I already formatted it on my PC to be FAT32 before using the car formatter.

A small update on that: After reformatting the drive in the car, it seemed to toggle the sentry options PROPERLY again.....ALL the way till work the next morning. Then I get to work, check it AGAIN, still fine....but I just went to check it on lunch and it's glitchy again. Ill check the clips at home and see if the clips are corrupted still.
  • Fat32 is no longer used. Tesla now uses exFat. Which could be why it’s working now that the car formatted it.
  • @SirChronocide - Easy Entry is a separate profile of it's own -- so you need to check the settings on *both* your profile (where you likely set them) AND the Easy Entry profile. It could be that one of them has exclude turned on for one or more locations, or not even defaulted to "on everywhere." Generally, the settings don't need to match the driver profiles, but in this case, it might be helpful to troubleshoot it at least.

The easiest way to check the EE profile is when you enter the car, BEFORE you put your foot on the brake, check the settings. That's the EE ones. Then, when you out your foot on the brake and the seat moves, that's your driver settings. Make sure both have your preferred Sentry settings.
  • > @hokiegir1 said:
    > @SirChronocide - Easy Entry is a separate profile of it's own -- so you need to check the settings on *both* your profile (where you likely set them) AND the Easy Entry profile. It could be that one of them has exclude turned on for one or more locations, or not even defaulted to "on everywhere." Generally, the settings don't need to match the driver profiles, but in this case, it might be helpful to troubleshoot it at least.
    >
    > The easiest way to check the EE profile is when you enter the car, BEFORE you put your foot on the brake, check the settings. That's the EE ones. Then, when you out your foot on the brake and the seat moves, that's your driver settings. Make sure both have your preferred Sentry settings.

Alright, I went out to the car, and set literally ALL the profiles to the same setting. We will see tomorrow if the settings change at all.

> @HAL2001 said:
    > Fat32 is no longer used. Tesla now uses exFat. Which could be why it’s working now that the car formatted it.

Sorry, brain fart. YES, it is in fact exFAT format. But It STILL corrupted a good chunk of my RecentClips files. Judging by the times, it seems that from the MOMENT I put the car in drive to around 13 minutes into the drive it corrupted all the footage....then just started recording normally mid drive.

I'll be heading out to a computer hardware store tomorrow, so I'll pick up with a USB or an SD Card and adapter and see if those yield better/ more consistent recordings.

Any suggestions from those who have had LOOOONG term success with any particular brands, y'all?
  • @SirChronocide

I had similar issues.

Tesla does use exFat but I wouldn't recommend letting your car format the drive/usb. (I don't think the car can format to exFat on SSD properly). I reformatted my HP Portable P500 7NL53AA#ABC 500GB USB 3.1 External Solid State Drive via PC (disk management) to exFat and I haven't had any issues so far and works flawlessly.

BTW, SSDs do draw several times the power of a USB key or SDcard.
  • @SirChronocide - I'm curious -- it does sound like some of the profiles had different settings, so I look forward to the update. :)