Model 3

My offered Trade in value from Tesla as an FYI

2018 LR RWD and every other feature with ~17,500 miles and they offered me $37k. Not too bad IMO, I see Private party is 40k-44k. Carmax offered 33k to buy.
Think I'll head to onlyusedteslas to post soon.

Comments

• IMO, the 3-5 thousand dollar difference between a private sale and what Tesla is offering you, is worth not dealing with the hassle of facilitating the private sale. Unless its easier than im imagining.
  • There may be an advantage to trade in, IF your state only taxes your new car purchase on the difference. Then a 37k trade in may be worth up to 41k-ish.
  • I too traded in my 2018 on a 2020 Performance. My tax savings in Texas, because of the trade in, was $2500. I just drove my old car up to Tesla center and picked up my new car. Might have made more selling privately but maybe not.
  • I'm thinking about getting rid now, ride out winter with one vehicle, and rebuy next year some time. No use wasting 6 more months of depreciation if I can. Potentially hold out for a federal rebate return too. I'm in DE so there's no sales tax. Also, really considering a used Model S, they look so luxurious, but I've never driven in one.
  • Tax credit won't return for Tesla
  • @Lorenzryanc - Definitely drive one first. General consensus is that people who had an S first then a 3 like them equally, but people who had the 3 first tend to be frustrated by the S. There are some outliers on that -- so it may not apply, but do take a ride before committing on that.
  • > @WW_icefree said:
    > Tax credit won't return for Tesla

Why not, if they’re reinstated without limit?
  • > @Bighorn said:
    > > @WW_icefree said:
    > > Tax credit won't return for Tesla
    >
    > Why not, if they’re reinstated without limit?
    >
    >

Only if that's the case. That would be nice for CyberTruck arrival.
  • Biden is pro-EV so there is hope that restoring the tax incentive for Tesla is possible....unless the election results are reversed.
  • > @Lonestar10_1999_98049184 said:
    > Biden is pro-EV so there is hope that restoring the tax incentive for Tesla is possible....unless the election results are reversed.

Republicans still have control of Senate
  • > @MK_NJ said:
    > > @Lonestar10_1999_98049184 said:
    > > Biden is pro-EV so there is hope that restoring the tax incentive for Tesla is possible....unless the election results are reversed.
    >
    > Republicans still have control of Senate
    >

And Tesla is doing just fine without the tax credits. So it will be a pretty hard job job to justify why there is a need.
  • There was bipartisan support to extend the EV tax credit in the Senate. The president torpedoed it.

https://komonews.com/news/auto-matters/ev-tax-credit-extension-gets-bipartisan-juice-in-senate
  • Maybe wrong, but Tesla lost the federal tax credit because they sold enough cars to lose the credit. Other EV's that did not reach the limit can still use the credit.
  • @cussenjim_98521400
    Different subject. Stating the obvious is not helpful.
  • > @Bighorn said:
    > @cussenjim_98521400
    > Different subject. Stating the obvious is not helpful.

Not obvious to everyone, Can not see a pro union, pro tax government reinstating a tax break for Tesla, no reason to, especially when you want to pay back the big three and the people that work for them by making it easier for them to sell their EV's.
  • > @cussenjim_98521400 said:
    > > @Bighorn said:
    > > @cussenjim_98521400
    > > Different subject. Stating the obvious is not helpful.
    >
    > Not obvious to everyone, Can not see a pro union, pro tax government reinstating a tax break for Tesla, no reason to, especially when you want to pay back the big three and the people that work for them by making it easier for them to sell their EV's.

It's not a tax break for Tesla, it's a tax credit for EV buyers.
  • > @cussenjim_98521400 said:
    > > @Bighorn said:
    > > @cussenjim_98521400
    > > Different subject. Stating the obvious is not helpful.
    >
    > Not obvious to everyone, Can not see a pro union, pro tax government reinstating a tax break for Tesla, no reason to, especially when you want to pay back the big three and the people that work for them by making it easier for them to sell their EV's.

There. You’ve gone and made a pertinent point. The other one was decidedly not. We know that Tesla had 200,000 credit claims in the US by 2018 thereby phasing out the credit. That fact is not likely to impact the decision to create a novel, universal EV credit. At one time, a price threshold could have been used to eliminate Tesla from the mix, but that’s much harder now with the Model 3 and prospects of a $25,000 vehicle.
  • > @Lorenzryanc said:
    > Bighorn is always right

My hero.
  • > @M-A-B-MCMLXXX said:
    > > @cussenjim_98521400 said:
    > > > @Bighorn said:
    > > > @cussenjim_98521400
    > > > Different subject. Stating the obvious is not helpful.
    > >
    > > Not obvious to everyone, Can not see a pro union, pro tax government reinstating a tax break for Tesla, no reason to, especially when you want to pay back the big three and the people that work for them by making it easier for them to sell their EV's.
    >
    > It's not a tax break for Tesla, it's a tax credit for EV buyers.

Sorry I was not clearer, meant a tax break [credit] for Tesla buyers, as opposed to tax breaks [credit] for other EV buyers.
  • @Pungoteague_Dave as a CPA argued fairly persuasively that the credit ultimately is Tesla's or whatever manufacturer's. Not going to re-litigate, but the idea is that the higher MSRP is supported by the credit and that money ends up on Tesla's books, moreso than it benefits the consumer. It's essentially a flow through, if that's the proper vernacular. # IANACPA
  • > @Lonestar10_1999_98049184 said:
    > Biden is pro-EV so there is hope that restoring the tax incentive for Tesla is possible....unless the election results are reversed.

Rebate or no rebate, there is a certain price that most people are willing to pay. If I remember correctly, Tesla kept dropping the price as the rebates were being phased out. I wouldn't be surprised if they increase the price back up if rebates are reinstated!
  • “I wouldn't be surprised if they increase the price back up if rebates are reinstated! “

Yep. It’s an illusion that the tax credit goes in the car buyer. It’s for the manufacturer who simply collects it in price. It’s simple economics.