General

Charge Time Increase due to less amperage after move to new home

I have had a Tesla Model X since 2016. I upgraded to the 2017 after one year to get the bigger battery. I have the P100D and have used a home Wall Connector Charger since then. I have always charged with a 100A circuit breaker with 72A and 240V to charge at the fastest possible rate for a home "destination" charger. I moved just this month to a new home and re-installed the same Wall Connector Charger with another 100A circuit breaker with all the same dip switch settings in the same exact fashion. There is a little bit longer wire from the 100A sub panel. Now the car only reports up to 47/72 A and 230/240 V while charging requiring a much longer charge time. Any help on this issue would be MUCH appreciated. I also recently upgraded my Model X to the self-driving 3.0 module at the Tesla service station.

Comments

• shouldn't have change with any software upgrade. Wonder if the wall charger detected and amp loss with the wiring in your new place. Guess you could have an electrician check the drop in the run
  • 47/72 is awfully close to two thirds.

So I wonder: Is this a 3 phase installation - and could you be missing power on one phase?

I have no idea if charging would commence in that case, and if there is any way to see it in the car. My wall charger shows the power draw individually for each phase, but not all wall chargers do.
  • I think there is only 2 phases, but I'm not sure.
  • Recheck the “Charge Current” in the car to ensure it is set on 72/72 and has not lowered to 47/72.
  • Given that I’d have to guess here, I’ll guess there’s problem with the installation of the 100 amp circuit in the new house. The car is detecting a large voltage drop when it tries to charge at full amperage, so it dials the current back to a “safe” voltage drop. I’d have your electrician come back out and verify that all the connections were properly tightened.