General

GM: "We are transitioning to an all-electric portfolio from a position of strength and we're focused

Comments

• > @Ross1 said:> Just in.> $7 B being budgeted”

That would be $7B more being allocated to EV conversion, from original $20B nine months ago to $27B today. Elections have consequences...good ones when we make smart choices.
  • They are not transferring shit unless the electric versions are better. Tht much must wait to be seen. It's not up to me, it's not up to you, it's up to the companies to offer a superior product.
  • "GM is building an EV battery factory with LG Chem in Lordstown, Ohio"

"General Motors announced today that it was setting up a joint venture with South Korea’s LG Chem to mass-produce batteries for electric cars. The two companies plan to invest a total of $2.3 billion to build a new facility, which will be located in Lordstown, Ohio."

The new plant will essentially become GM’s own Gigafactory, with an annual capacity of more than 30 gigawatt hours. The facility will manufacture battery cells for the 20 new electric vehicles that GM plans to roll out by 2023, executives said. That includes a new EV from Chevy that is set to be released next year and a battery-electric pickup truck by late 2021.

"The new plant will essentially become GM’s own gigafactory, with an annual capacity of more than 30 gigawatt hours"

https://www.theverge.com/2019/12/5/20996866/gm-lg-ev-electric-vehicle-battery-joint-venture-chem-lordstown
  • Yes, they said the exact same thing when they announced/revealed the Bolt. I recently saw a clip of a high level GM executive say that they have been working on their EV new found push for a a little over a year now. I was like wait, what? The Bolt came out in 2017 and obviously was in developed earlier than that.

GM is just kidding the can down the road and is trying to string the investor community along.
  • > @FISHEV said:
    > "GM is building an EV battery factory with LG Chem in Lordstown, Ohio"

>
    > The new plant will essentially become GM’s own Gigafactory, with an annual capacity of more than 30 gigawatt hours.

NOTE: 30gwh's is enough capacity to build 150,000 humbers a year @200kwh's each for those piglets. Where are the other batteries going to come from.? Tesla has most of the industry capacity contracted for already.

GM has no excuse for not utilizing that capacity to build their own $25000 vehicles, not luxury porcine vehicles that will "trickle sell" not "super sell."

In other words GM's plans won't have a beneficial effect on the environment by their own choice.
  • I really hope GM will make even one compelling EV. Some aspects of the "billions" that GM claims to spend in the future on electrification are not really talked about is how much of this is going to advertising and how much to autonomous driving. They could spend $100M on one ICE to EV retrofit, a few hybrids, and all the rest on advertising and converting ICE cars to autonomous driving cars. So they really didn't commit to much other than trying to look green and grab some PR.
  • Interesting claim - I saw a similar statement from the CEO of VW - who acknowledged that Tesla is the one to TRY to match or beat - and acknowledged that it will be a tough challenge... He was committed (as I recall) to putting about $80B into their initiatives.. My sense - he is rational and sees a potential opportunity to work in an industry essentially created by Elon et al, and try to claim a respectable share in a market that is growing rapidly. Ironically, he felt that their dealer network was a big asset for them - and I fear that it may turn into a monster liability - as EVs have dramatically less need for a huge maintenance infrastrucre.
  • I like that some of the new startups are going without the franchise dealer model like Tesla. Likely saves the consumer $3-10K per car.
  • > @"TeslaTap.com" said: > I really hope GM will make even one compelling EV."

The EV Hummer is the bomb. Great first choice.

https://www.gmc.com/electric-truck/hummer-ev
  • $115,000 is a “great first choice”?

While yes, Tesla’s first Roadster was a six figure car, but Tesla had no established manufacturing experience, no factory capable of volume production or long standing suppliers than would give them great deals on parts. Tesla also needed as much profit as possible to invest in developing the MS and setting up Fremont.
  • > @jordanrichard_629778 said: > While yes, Tesla’s first Roadster was a six figure car.

So were top end S and X's.
  • GM failed the EV1, can’t sell enough Bolts to pay the light bill, and we should put our faith, trust, and $$ into their proven empty promises?

End their claim of how many EV models in How many years? I can’t stop laughing
    😂 😂😂😂😂
  • Sad that the only EV FISH likes are a press release for a vehicle that has never been made. Very doubtful GM is going to design and manufacture it in 2 years. Consider they have no current expertise in making any EVs. All of the EV parts of the Bolt was mostly designed and made by LG in Korea.
  • > @jordanrichard_629778 said:
    > While yes, Tesla’s first Roadster was a six figure car, but Tesla had no established manufacturing experience, no factory capable of volume production or long standing suppliers than would give them great deals on parts. Tesla also needed as much profit as possible to invest in developing the MS and setting up Fremont.
    >

So, in short, the master plan is:

Build sports car
    Use that money to build an affordable car
    Use that money to build an even more affordable car
    While doing above, also provide zero emission electric power generation options
  • "GM Unveils Battery with Capacity Twice as Big as Tesla’s:

"General Motors has finally revealed details of its ambitious plan to conquer the electric-vehicle market, including a massive 200.0-kWh battery for its GMC Hummer."

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a31226611/gm-ultium-electric-vehicle-battery-revealed/
  • I think it has to be twice as big if they have any prayer of achieving minimum acceptable range.
  • 350 miles on a monster AWD Hummer is damnfino.
  • 500 on a Cybertruck is more fino
  • > @lbowroom said:
    > 500 on a Cybertruck is more fino

But then it's just a laughing at buyer cybertruck not a Hummer.
  • Is it Hummer or Humbler?
  • The Hummer is GM's swan song entering bankruptcy.

If and until Nikola's abomination is produced. That will be the symphony of phony.

I'm still guessing they'll face reorganization before then.
  • Car n Driver like most publications is just regurgitating the press material provided by GM. This "Ultium" battery doesn't even exist yet, if it did, it would have been in the Hummer EV at the reveal. So ANY numbers GM spits out is purely speculation.