General

Tesla App requesting access to WiFi

I have my model 3 set up to connect to my wifi. (It probably isn't necessary) The other day I get this message from the App that it wants to access devices on my wifi. Any ideas why it would want to do this? (I denied access)

Comments

• When you say "it wants to access devices", is that the car wanting to do that or your phone (app)?
  • Did you update iOS 14.x recently? Apps that communicate with devices on your local network must ask for permission now. Go to Settings > Privacy > Local Network. The Tesla app is probably listed there. I'm guessing the app wants to talk to your Model 3 over your wifi.
  • The Tesla app doesn’t need to know about other devices on your WiFi network, it just needs access to WiFi (or cellular). The app communicates with the car via the Tesla servers (and Bluetooth for the 3/Y), not directly with the car. This new iOS setting is a bit misleading, and very few apps actually need that access.

It is necessary to have your Model 3 connect to WiFi in order to get software updates.
  • It issues the warning regularly, usually in the AM, for no reason. There's no update to download or anything. It's a "feature".
  • > @FISHEV said:
    > It issues the warning regularly, usually in the AM, for no reason. There's no update to download or anything. It's a "feature".

What are you talking about? The iOS 14 prompt will happen at most once for any app. I don't recall getting the prompt for my Tesla app, but I might have.
  • > @EVRider said:
    > The Tesla app doesn’t need to know about other devices on your WiFi network, it just needs access to WiFi (or cellular). The app communicates with the car via the Tesla servers (and Bluetooth for the 3/Y), not directly with the car. This new iOS setting is a bit misleading, and very few apps actually need that access.
    >
    > It is necessary to have your Model 3 connect to WiFi in order to get software updates.

That's what I thought (not needed). I wasn't sure if something new was added to the App since this is the first and only time I saw this message displayed. (haven't seen it for any other app)
  • @md_trac_98476329 - I have seen that new iOS 14 message for some other apps. I didn't give them access either.
  • FWIW- Your model 3 will receive updates through your WiFi that it wouldn’t get through the built in LTE so that is a good idea to let it connect.
  • > @PrescottRichard said:
    > FWIW- Your model 3 will receive updates through your WiFi that it wouldn’t get through the built in LTE so that is a good idea to let it connect.

This has nothing to do with your car connecting to WiFi. This is about giving the Tesla app on your phone permission to discover other devices on your network, which it doesn’t need to do.
  • > @md_trac_98476329 said:
    > I have my model 3 set up to connect to my wifi. (It probably isn't necessary) The other day I get this message from the App that it wants to access devices on my wifi. Any ideas why it would want to do this? (I denied access)

I was responding to the first part- and the ‘probably isn’t necessary’ as I feel it is.

As for the app, why wouldn’t you let it access WiFi? It’ll just use your cell connection if it can’t use WiFi, right? What’s the point of having the app if it isn’t connected in the best way possible?
  • @PrescottRichard — Read my previous reply. You’re misunderstanding what the iOS 14 prompt means.
  • I suppose it doesn’t discover your car locally on WiFi when at home then, gotcha.
  • > @PrescottRichard said:
    > I suppose it doesn’t discover your car locally on WiFi when at home then, gotcha.

Correct. The mobile app only accesses your car via the Tesla servers or Bluetooth, never directly via WiFi.

The kinds of apps that would need to discover other devices on the network would be things like smart home apps that let you control devices on your home network. I don't like the way they implemented this prompt in iOS 14, because many people will incorrectly assume they have to provide this access just to connect to WiFi.