General

Software update question

So, new owner of MS LR+. My current software version is 2020.40.4.5 No new updates for over a month. As I post this the most recent update appears to be 2020.44.15 and I have a strong Wi-fi signal.

Q1. Would I be considered just one update behind (40 vs 45)? Or am I multiple updates behind as I have not gotten any of the updates in-between?

Q2. Is this "normal"?. I am happy to be patient, just not sure what is considered nominal?

Comments

• > @"David.a.lipson_98678598" said:
    > So, new owner of MS LR+. My current software version is 2020.40.4.5 No new updates for over a month. As I post this the most recent update appears to be 2020.44.15 and I have a strong Wi-fi signal.
    >
    > Q1. Would I be considered just one update behind (40 vs 45)? Or am I multiple updates behind as I have not gotten any of the updates in-between?
    >
    > Q2. Is this "normal"?. I am happy to be patient, just not sure what is considered nominal?

Sorry typo in Q1. I meant 40 vs 44
  • First, congrats on joining us here in the future. We have been waiting for you. You're going to like it here...…… :-)

Ok, OTA updates. There is no real logic as to who gets the update and when. When Tesla releases an update, it is done in batches for the simple fact that if there are unexpected glitches, they don't want it to affect the entire fleet. So taking your current software version 2020.44.05. "2020" is the year, "44" is the week it was created/initially released and the "05" is the "sub version" or iteration of the update. So for example, when the update first batch that came out, it was 2020.44.01. Then there were subsequent patches (minor fixes) needed. So by the time your car got it's software uploaded, they were on the 5th iteration.

Many people are super eager to get the latest update right away, but actually you want the overall update later on because any glitches will have been sorted out.

Also just to throw another curve ball into this, not all number updates apply to all cars. It is good that you are patient because many suffer greatly from FOMO.

Lastly, I highly recommend you join your local Tesla Owners Club. You can learn directly from fellow owners in your area, as there may be things that are particular interest to where you live.

Again, welcome to the future.
  • Thanks for the reply Jordan! Yes, I understand the naming convention but had read that one should only be "concerned" if they fall several versions behind. I was assuming that that meant the "week" version so in my case 40 vs the current 44 (and not including all the sub versions). Seems like that is indeed the case. Sounds like this is totally normal.
  • Looking back on the update history of my Model 3, I have had these updates since 2020.40.4:

However, I don't know if 40.8 or 40.9 are relevant to a Model S, which already has 40.4. As far as I can see, the release notes have not changed between those three versions.
  • Just to use AllanO’s example. My car is an early 2014 MS and I am on 2020.36.11. So as he said, many current Model S’s have 40.4. If your car is meant to get an update, it will.
  • I have gotten updates on my Model 3 nearly a month after they first became available. I’ve also been nearly the first to get one. As jordanrichard said, there’s no rhyme nor reason. And, as Carly Simon said ‘Anticipation... is keeping me waiting’.

Your update will come.
  • I have the same MS LR+ and have been dogged by this expected update for a few weeks. Just tried to do the holding both scroll wheels to reset and checked for the update in the software tab and Boom there it was. The last 2020.40. was very stable but seemed to need a reset to move on. Telsafi indicates a very small percent of recent MS remain on 2020.40. Try the scroll wheel reset for sure.
  • A reboot is not going to get you an update. Like Frank99, I have received updates within a week of it’s release and I have had to wait up to 6 weeks.

You are doing exactly what we all went through after getting our cars and that is overthinking things.
  • Op I’m going to share something totally anecdotal. Could be completely coincidental but it has worked for me 3 times in 3 attempts. When I feel like an update has been out for while and I should have it by now, I go into my car and bring up the menu->software and browse around the release notes and what not. I won’t see anything immediately but later that same day I get a notification that an update is available. Hardly definitive but I’ll keep doing it until it stops working.
  • Sorry, but that would just be a coincidence
  • If you car has a good cellular connection and you have the Controls > Software setting to Advanced, you get notified of updates when they’re available for your car. When you go to the Controls > Software screen, it will also check for updates.
  • No need to apologize stingray but yours is an opinion. Truth is unless you work for tesla, you don’t know for certain. Neither do I. I will keep doing it until it stops working.
  • Anyone know why the game download software would keep coming and going? It showed I had an update, but then when it went to download, it just stopped and then disappeared. This has happened about 3 times and its now been about 4 days and still hasn't returned. I have the Fallout and cuphead games "waiting to update"