Model Y

Does Consumer Reports report mean anything?

I ordered a Y on 11/16 before the CR report came out listing the Y as a "not recommend". Just wondering how valid these reports are in relation to what the Y has to offer. I understand the Y has some issues and I can tolerate it as long as it is cosmetic(can be serviced) and not mechanical or safety-related. Any of you have rectifications that were mechanical versus cosmetic?

Comments

• It bothers me a bit that Tesla is so poorly ranked by CR. I do use CR quite a bit for deciding on appliances and other household items. They are quite trustworthy IMO. I haven't reviewed their reasoning behind the Model Y yet. If it's because of the cosmetic flaws, I am not too concerned (those are easy to screen for at pick up). But, mechanical or computer issues would definitely bother me. Such as the heat not working as people have reported here quite a bit.
  • So, I just did a quick read over at CR (I have a subscription). Looks like they ranked the Model Y poorly on the following 3 issues:
    Paint/Trim
    Body Integrity (squeaks, rattles, seals, leaks)
    Body Hardware (door handles, latches, doors, mirrors, etc)

However, the good news is it ranks it highly in everything else including mechanical, drivetrain, electrical systems, climate, etc.

So, it sounds like it's just reporting on stuff that a lot of us are already aware of. Check your car carefully at delivery and a lot of issues can be avoided it seems.
  • It looks like CR is: considering the history of complaints about fit and finish; not considering the fact that there has been considerable improvement; and focusing on roof glass separation. We took delivery of our Y on November 14 (69xxx) and while there were a few slight alignment issues, they were 'as they say' within tolerance. We used a 3 page check list based on lists developed and shared by other owners spending about an hour going over the car. As Hightower suggested, go over the car before you accept. The most challenging aspect of the Tesla is transitioning from a-button/switch-for-every-function' found in most ICE cars to using single high functioning 'app' embodied in the screen user interface.
  • The total key is using widely available checklists BEFORE final payment and accepting the car. While Tesla has its share of fit/finish issues which, frankly, are unacceptable at these price points, you do have the option to reject it. And you should. I ordered my MY on 11/4. I'm still waiting for my VIN and I'm hoping that the later it goes, the better the outcome in build quality. However, despite my excitement, I am fully prepared to walk away from that delivery IF there are major issues with the fit/finish/quality and wait for another.
  • Yes, it means don’t pay attention to it.
  • I picked up my Y last week (VIN 68xxx) and in general, no issues with the body or paint, at least not to my old eyes. I’m not discounting issues others have had with Teslas...it’s well documented and proven, it’s just that in relation to all the other potential quality issues I’ve had in cars over the years, My Y is currently pretty darn good.

Like others have said, do a thorough inspection before delivery and if everything checks out, you should be good. I’ve learned to take what Consumer Reports says with a grain of salt ever since they slammed the Suzuki Samurai decades ago based on a faulty stability test (the outriggers they used for safety were found to have contributed to some of the stability issues).

As long as the functional items are good, the cosmetic can be dealt with under warranty. The car brings a smile to my face every time I drive it and I have no regrets about purchasing my Y.
  • Consumer reports nailed it for the time period of the survey. On this forum and on TMC forum on Model Y there were a lot of reports of quality issues, particularly paint, panel gap, and body and trim alignment up to end of September with end of September (end of quarter) being the worst. Then those type of reports became much less widespread. Bing cautious I requested multiple times to have my Model Y out so I could look at it hours before delivery. I arrived at 11AM for 1:30PM delivery and looked the car over as carefully as I could without putting it on a lift or taking things apart. Other than gaps in door seal adhesive, I found two ledged (unaligned surfaces) that are visible but detecting them was done running a hand over the transition. The detailer advised me to ignore them. I used to work in a place that did auto body so maybe I'm a bit fussy. (I also found a grease smudge in the interior which they cleaned immediately). There were very minor differences in gap widths but even the worst gap difference was small and nothing like what was being reported earlier. Based on my experience and the drop off in reports of issues, quality is getting a lot better. Unfortunately CR only does the survey annually and got Model Y in first few months of production and right after Covid factory reopen. If quality remains good, then Model Y will get a better CR rating next year.
  • It does not matter one bit even if a Tesla gets delivered without a windshield. The very simple fact and perhaps too simple for some people to understand, is that if Teslas still have the highest satisfaction rating, that is all that matters.
  • In general I think the Consumer Reports criticism was warranted in this case however they should also update once the issues are fixed. Lots of new owners are reporting no issues or very minimal. At the same time I used CR as part of my research buying a refrigerator recently and it was complete BS. The top 5 rated had horrible written reviews where as others down further had great written reviews by actual people that owned the appliance. The top fridge was rated highly on reliability and that was the number one complaint by owners. At the end of the day no fridge is great these days and they will all break in 5-7 years but the CR recommendations/ratings were worthless.
  • Tm3d, I respectfully disagree. They are trustworthy in my experience and I've bought dozens of appliances and things over the years using their recommendations and have generally been quite happy with the products they recommend. That's not to say they may have made mistakes in the past, but to say they are worthless is definitely not fair or accurate.
    I'd rather buy something that's been tested by CR than just go off of ratings from random people on the internet who may just be angry about something small and give a terrible review because they like to complain a lot.
  • The thing I've noticed is that actual CU members' reviews frequently contradict CU's recommendations, so in general I'd say use CU's ratings in a "trust but verify" mode.
  • CR shouldn’t bother state whether they recommend a particular product or not. There is no problem with listing what issues their subscribers had, but if those said subscribers still highly recommend the product, that is more votes than CR’s.

To put it another way. If there are 50,000 Tesla owners in their survey and 90% say they would buy one again or recommend it to a friend, that means 45,000 owners recommend a Tesla. CR’s one opinion (vote) isn’t even a rounding error.
  • I own a Tesla Model Y and love it. However, the Consumer Reports review is spot on. The build quality leaves much to be desired, the trim looks and feels cheaper than in comparable legacy vehicles, there are a lot of finish issues (not in my car but reported by many), the ride does feel rough and there is quirkiness in the commands, incoming vehicle alert and other areas.
    I knew about these issues before buying the car and did not find them to be a deal breaker. I don't care about a luxurious look, and a lot of the commands, display options and features should be viewed in the context of fully autonomous driving, which is on its way. Then a lot of features make more sense. So, you could say there is a leap of faith when you buy this car, that is, that the software updates will eventually bring more autonomy and will take full advantage of all the hardware features. In addition, you buy the car because it is one of the best EVs out there, and you trust that EV will progressively take over, charging will be more available and so on. In other words, you buy into a promise.