Model 3

Hotspot won't connect with Verizon but will on ATT

I changed carriers a couple days ago from ATT to Verizon. I had no issues using my iphone ATT hotspot to connect for data on my Model 3 but now when I try to use my Verizon account, it never shows up as an option. I've verified that the Verizon hotspot works on other things like my laptop.

Anyone else encountering this or have any advice?

Thanks!

Comments

• "when I try to use my Verizon account, it never shows up as an option"

Doesn't show up as an option where? Do you mean the car doesn't display the SSID of your Verizon hotspot as a WIFI signal to connect to?

When was your Model 3 built? Early ones only have 2.4GHz WIFI, perhaps your hotspot is only 5GHz?
  • I just connected to my wifi hotspot on verizon using an iphone. I doubt the carrier is the problem.
  • Hm. AT&T has been known to play silly buggers with the TCP/IP stream on their network. Injecting ads, tracking surfing habits, etc. Verizon's done that, too, but I think they turned that off after the first uproar. Think I heard somewhere that AT&T charged cold, hard, cash _not_ to do that; out of the carrier-friendly FCC, not a peep about any of these shenanigans.
    As an example, could be that AT&T was trying to implant cookies on the Tesla or some such that the car objected to.
    Of course, the cellular connectivity on the Tesla is through AT&T, so, dunno.
    One would need the equivalent of a wire-shark access point or something like that to observe what's going on, which is kind of out of my comfort zone.
    Where's a security expert when we need one? :smiley:
  • Go into Wi-Fi settings on both your phone and car and remove the hotspot info.
    Then set them up again. That oughta take care of it.
  • I have a lot of issues getting Model 3 to log on to ATT Wifi from the phone. It takes a four bar signal to the point I have to drive to a parking lot literally underneath the cell tower and even then I have to reboot the car to get it to log on to do updates.

It's a cranky Wifi system on the Model 3.
  • edited November 21
    > @Tronguy said:
    > As an example, could be that AT&T was trying to implant cookies on the Tesla or some such that the car objected to.

Even if there were something to that, it would be after the fact of connecting to the hotspot. OP reports his car isn't even seeing the hotspot.

Either way, Verizon + iPhone = hotspot: https://i.imgur.com/eRNiSgT.png
  • > @FISHEV said:
    > I have a lot of issues getting Model 3 to log on to ATT Wifi from the phone. It takes a four bar signal to the point I have to drive to a parking lot literally underneath the cell tower and even then I have to reboot the car to get it to log on to do updates.
    >
    > It's a cranky Wifi system on the Model 3.

None of your statement makes any sense.

If your using your phone as a hotspot the car logs into your phones ad hoc wifi not AT&T's wifi.

If the car is using AT&T's public wifi your phone is not involved in the connection at all but it does require a user name and password which is not supported by Tesla. I do not mean the wifi security. The public AT&T service requires you to log into a WEB page to use it.

Parking under the cell tower would improve your phones cell service which again has NOTHING to do with wifi.

If you park under the correct tower you would improve your cars LTE connection which has NOTHING to do with wifi.

The only reason the M3's wifi system is cranky for you is because you don't know what your doing.
  • > @HAL2001 said:> If your using your phone as a hotspot the car logs into your phones ad hoc wifi not AT&T's wifi. “

There’s no ATT “Wifi” underneath the ATT cell tower, your comment makes no sense.

I have to be underneath the ATT cell tower in order to get a super strong signal because without a super strong signal the Tesla will not connect to the iPhone’s hotspot.

Even then, I’ll have to reboot the car to get it to see the phones Wifi connection.

That may be what is happening with the Verizon phone hotspot.

Worth it for the poster to try they same solution for his Verizon iPhone since it works for the ATT iPhone.
  • Ignoring FISHEV for the moment:
    Back when I had a Samsung S5 and it was shiny new, it turned out that with Verizon the wi-fi hotspot was turned off on the phone. It wasn't even an option. With other phones that Verizon supported, it was an option, and Verizon, at that time, charged extra for it. This is, of course, back in the day when unlimited plans were very rare.
    The likes of AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, and others: If you got an S5 from those guys, it came with the wi-fi hotspot feature. It was, simply, Verizon playing silly buggers.
    Point I'm trying to make is that the functionality of the wi-fi hotspot feature, at least on Android phones, seemed at the time to require the provider's cooperation. That was something like 2011 or so, it's now 2020, and the Rules Have Probably Changed.
    However, that's why I made that comment about AT&T. Yes, the wi-fi on the phone is supposed to be a simple bridge between the LTE data and the 802.whatever-it-is feature that the phone supports. But, if one's phone is on AT&T, one is running AT&T's applications, so it crossed my mind that AT&T might be the one playing silly buggers.
    I'm probably wrong on this. But I can't dismiss it out of hand, especially with AT&T running around and charging extra for privacy; and, if you don't have that privacy, they're selling peoples' surfing metadata for extra cash. For them, not their captive cell phone users. And that's true right this minute.
  • “ I have to be underneath the ATT cell tower in order to get a super strong signal because without a super strong signal the Tesla will not connect to the iPhone’s hotspot.”

Nonsense! The car connects to your hotspot with Wifi, doesn’t matter if you have 0% or 100% LTE signal.
  • > @lbowroom said: > Nonsense! The car connects to your hotspot with Wifi, doesn’t matter if you have 0% or 100% LTE signal."

I think you are confused, it is when using the phone as Wifi hotspot that the Tesla requires that the phone has a very strong signal.
  • > @FISHEV said:
    > There’s no ATT “Wifi” underneath the ATT cell tower, your comment makes no sense.
    >
    > I have to be underneath the ATT cell tower in order to get a super strong signal because without a super strong signal the Tesla will not connect to the iPhone’s hotspot.

LOL, you really have no clue what your saying.

Let’s review your comment

> I have a lot of issues getting Model 3 to log on to ATT Wifi from the phone.

How does the car log into att WiFi from the phone. It can’t happen. The statement itself is nonsense. Hotspot WiFi comes from the phone not the cell tower.

>It takes a four bar signal to the point I have to drive to a parking lot literally underneath the cell tower and even then I have to reboot the car to get it to log on to do updates.

your phones cell service has no effect on your phones ad hoc WiFi signal.

You should just stop talking about things you do not understand.
  • > @HAL2001 said: > your phones cell service has no effect on your phones ad hoc WiFi signal."

It does actually. It will be slower, more drops and apparently Tesla is sensitive to this so it will not connect unless the phone's got a very strong signal.
  • “ apparently Tesla is sensitive to this so it will not connect unless the phone's got a very strong signal”

Not connect to what? The Tesla server? The car will connect just fine to your phones hotspot. If there’s no LTE to your phone, then correct, no connection to Tesla servers will be made.
  • Fish is wrong, per usual
  • Yet wrapped inside his seemingly ignorant statements are hints that he actually does understand and is putting it on for show. It’s just too much to be simple stupidity.
  • > @lbowroom said:> Not connect to what? “

The Tesla will not connect to the iPhone as Wifi hotspot exactly as the topic states.
  • Fish, your line of BS has nothing to do with the OP’s issue
  • > @FISHEV said:
    > > @lbowroom said:> Not connect to what? “
    >
    > The Tesla will not connect to the iPhone as Wifi hotspot exactly as the topic states.

Which has nothing to do with parking your car under the cell tower. Stop giving advice on topics you do not understand.
  • > @HAL2001 said: > Which has nothing to do with parking your car under the cell tower. "

That gets the strong signal that the Tesla needs to connect. If thr=e cell signal is weak, the Model 3 won't connect. Pro tip.
  • LOL, you really have no clue what you are saying. And Now your calling yourself a Pro? Pro what?
  • Smart Feller Pro
  • No tip. Flat out misinformation. Cell signal strength is entirely unrelated to the wifi connection.
  • Well just make sure you have strong cell signal, reboot which works for ATT and should work for Verizon to fix the problem with the car.
  • There is no problem with the car