Model 3

Sentry mode effect on phantom drain

Did an inadvertent experiment this week. I was in the hospital all week, my gallbladder was badly infected and had to be removed. I drove myself to the emergency room on Monday and left the car in the parking lot. It wasn't until Thursday that I felt well enough to think about checking the app to see what may battery level was. Between Monday and Thursday the car had lost 20%. I turned off Sentry mode from the app at at point and I only lost another 1% between Thursday and Friday when they let me go home.

Comments

• The car has to stay awake for sentry to work so a lot of other things are going on. Without sentry on the car can sleep.
  • Sorry to hear about your medical issue. Feel better soon.

Sentry Mode uses 1-2 miles of range per hour, not because the car is awake, but because the AP computer is continuously analyzing video from the dashcam looking for conditions that trigger Sentry Mode events. The dashcam itself doesn’t use much power, but the AP computer does.
  • That's for the well wishes. I was well aware that Sentry Mode is a battery hog but I never had a chance to put it it to test before. It's not on at home and under normal circumstances it's only operating when I'm shopping when it doesn't matter. Long term parking is where the drain matters and it's shocking to see how bad it is. Fortunately you can turn it off from the app, I was hooked up to a bunch of tubes so it wasn't possible for me to run down to the parking lot and disable it from the car.
  • > @bjrosen said: it wasn't possible for me to run down to the parking lot and disable it from the car."

You can disable it from the app.
  • Fish. Read my post, I did disable it from the app.
  • > @FISHEV said:
    > > @bjrosen said: it wasn't possible for me to run down to the parking lot and disable it from the car."
    >
    > You can disable it from the app.
    >
    >

Way to clip out the first part of his statement, which was: "Fortunately you can turn it off from the app."
  • Sentry will also turn its self off when the battery reaches a certain percentage. I ?think? its 20% but I am not certain of that number. So no worries you would not have come out to a dead battery due to sentry.
  • I had some body work done a few months ago (debris in road - I’ve already posted that story). I had to leave the car with the body shop for over a week (2 days for body work and paint - the rest was awaiting parts from Tesla). I dropped it off with a less than full battery, and about 3 days in I got a warning text that it was at 20%. I had left sentry on because the body shop was in a bad area of town. I had the shop plug it in (110V was all they had). I also tried turning off Sentry from the app on my phone, but every time they woke the car up to move it, Sentry would re-activate itself (apparently, you have to turn it off from the car’s screen to permanently turn it off). Ultimately, they put it in “Service Mode” and that killed Sentry until they were done working on it.