Model Y

Will the Model Y outsell the Model 3 before the $25,000 Tesla arrives?

A lot of analysts hypothesize that the Model Y will be the best selling Tesla car ever since the SUV class outsold sedans increasingly for years.

Do you think it will outsell the Model 3 because the Model 3 sales will start to reduce one the $25,000 start to sell or do you think the Model Y will outsell the Model 3 in the near term?

Comments

• Define near term. I don't think so. Model Y almost same size as 3 and design wise looks weird (In my eyes). It's more expensive than 3 another factor to take in to consideration.
  • > @WW_icefree said:
    > Define near term. I don't think so. Model Y almost same size as 3 and design wise looks weird (In my eyes). It's more expensive than 3 another factor to take in to consideration.

Near term would be within 3-4 years, before $25,000 Model is announced to go into production
  • Maybe at the end of that time spectrum they will. Who knows.
  • I know my wife wants to upgrade to Y after her Model 3 gets super old. Like 6-8 years old. (We usually buy new cars every 3 years).
  • > @WW_icefree said:
    > I know my wife wants to upgrade to Y after her Model 3 gets super old. Like 6-8 years old. (We usually buy new cars every 3 years).

Do you trade in or you sell privately.
    My Model 3 is the first new car I bought and not sure what I’ll do with it once I don’t use it anymore.
    I don’t think Robo-taxis will be legal here before 2030
  • Trade in bc we save on sale tax and it comes up almost same If I would sell privately but minus the hustle.
  • But again in 6 years my oldest daughter will be almost at legal driving age. So we might end up keeping 3 for her if the range remains above 200 miles.
  • In the overall car market small SUV and CUV sell much better than sedans due to buyers desire for cargo space and easy loading. Model Y production capacity is not high enough but Giga China Model Y production, then Austin and Berlin, will change that. The Model Y SR+ will come to market when production can support the demand for it and likely with 300+ miles range so newer cells, possibly 4680 cells, and the entire Tesla line will get higher range. At that point Model Y should be outselling Model 3 by a lot. What's the date? No one really knows, but my guess is end of 2021.