General

Slight Collision with Rock, no warning

OK, I was turning in a very tight street in Cape Cod, MA a few weeks back in my 2020 Model X. For whatever reason people put these 12" high basketball size rocks on the corners of their driveways. I know to protect sand, I mean lawns. Anyway as I was turning I thought I cleared it, and thought the sensor in front right which is 17" off the ground would have downward range to warn me. Nope, slight tap, dislodged bumper slightly, and scraped the bumper at the 12" line. Any idea why this would not have been picked up? I would have thought the aperture of the sensor would, but I am not an expert of course. This leads me to see how affective their new 'birds-eye view' will be.

Comments

• Make sure you didn’t mute Park Assist chimes. Are you saying there was no visual indication of the rock either? I would think 12” would be high enough to be detected.
  • EVRider - Park assist is always on, but thx. No visual of the rock as I was watching for it, knowing it was there. I am going to try it with a Propane tank to see what happens.
  • Can't answer for X but on the Model 3 I've knocked off a mud guard and bent a wheel because it could not see a 4" curb. It will consistently run over curbs and scrape in the front while the sensors show 12" away.

One of my gripes on Model 3 lack of good 360 system.
  • ^^^Driver error.
  • The sensors work best in detecting flat vertical surfaces such as walls. The way they work (on all cars, not just Tesla) is they send out an ultrasonic sound and listen for the reflection. I expect some rocks will not be detected, especially if it has angles away from the sensor or a porous sound-absorbing surface. The more sound reflective the surface the better it works.

The second issue with these sensors is they may not detect thinner objects like a pole. It might detect it 4-5 feet away but disappears as you get closer. The sensors are spaced about 18" apart and have a fairly narrow cone of detection. If you move toward the pole and it is between two sensors, at some point, it "disappears" from the sensor.
  • Thanks @FISHEV; multiple checks with varying rocks show me there is ~10” and lower zone of blindness. It did pick up 12”. To the Hot Sauce guy - agree 100% my fault trying to see what It does catch for future reference and trust. I know have trust issues lol
  • edited November 21
    > @hilliard528_98661406 said:
    > Thanks @FISHEV; multiple checks with varying rocks show me there is ~10” and lower zone of blindness. It did pick up 12”. To the Hot Sauce guy - agree 100% my fault trying to see what It does catch for future reference and trust. I know have trust issues lol
    >

I expect @TabascoGuy was responding to the preceding post, as fishev has a history of blaming the machine for his own mistakes.
  • Yes, @MAB is correct.

"Once" would be an accident to be learned from while "consistently" would be driver error.
  • @"TeslaTap.com" - Your explanation makes sense, because I know my car has detected medians that were lower than 12" as I was driving next to them. That's why I was surprised the 12" rock wasn't detected.
  • Stealth Fighters have angles, rocks have angles, makes a lot of sense, got to be careful around stuff with angles
  • So took to Tesla Approved body shop. they buffed it out to make it look ok. no charge. to fix scratch on painted surface and replace lower black piece..... noting no underlying damage per body shop. $2,200. wow! I passed considering I paid them a reasonable $1,700 for a new passenger mirror and door repaint due to ding and bird strike on mirror, which i thought was good considering the mirror was $800+