General

Top Concerns of Vehicle Buyers

Like any expensive product, most buyers have several goals and concerns. Rarely is a purchase made for a single reason.

Here are some of the top concerns people have with ICE cars that make an EV a smarter choice:

• Safety during a crash – having a huge motor on fire, driven into the cabin can be deadly

• Cost of ownership – fuel, oil, and filter changes, and maintenance are far more expensive and time-consuming with ICE

• Having to breathe carcinogenic fueling fumes during every fill-up

• Having to constantly fuel the car in miserable weather – such as during heat waves, high humidity, freezing cold, rain or snow

• Lack of responsibility to the environment – ICE cars are pollution machines on wheels. The extraction of oil also creates vast amounts of pollution on land, sea, and air.

• Low performance - all ICE cars have poor performance when compared with Tesla’s EVs

• Poor styling – While there are some nice ICE cars, many seem to maximize the ugly factor with massive grills today

• Annoying noise – While engine drone can be somewhat ignored by turning up the music volume, the overall effect is tiring

• Quickly becomes out of date – Without free feature updates like Tesla provides, you must buy a new car every year to get the latest features

• Rollover safety – ICE vehicles tend to rollover in some types of crashes and kill the occupants. An EV is extremely hard to rollover

Perhaps you know of more reasons ICE cars are doomed!

Comments

• I am with you. Tesla is the best of the EVs. The best in safety in crashes as well. But the fun of acceleration every time without a tune up or fuel issues puts these vehicles way above anything else. The ICE engine in front of the car just makes them unstable for performance driving esp. their ICE SUVs
    Weather is no issue as my car is charged up at home and when I leave I save time never having to gas it, change oils, etc.
  • Those are all valid points a potential car buyer should consider, but all too often a short sighted vehicle purchase decision is driven by the bottom line price on the Monroney sticker. As long as the ICE vehicle is less $$$ than a similar class EV, ICE will have an advantage.
  • @steve - sad but true. Hopefully, in a few years, the base price will be similar to an ICE car and then it will be game over.
  • Safety reasons for Tesla

https://forums.tesla.com/discussion/95585/another-102-fatalities-today-by-non-self-driving-vehicles-and-500-fires-day#comment-form
  • I noticed that the trolls need to post quantity believing it makes it real; this is reason they need very long BS. Quality is missing or Garbage in=Garbage out
  • Two other things i dont like about ICE vehicles:
    1. the constant vibration from the engine.
    2. The lack of storage space - since the engine and accessories and gas tank take up lots of space that is storage space on my Model 3.
  • edited November 22
    > @Wilber said:
    > 2. The lack of storage space - since the engine and accessories and gas tank take up lots of space that is storage space on my Model 3.

In fairness, your model 3 battery likely takes up more space than the gas tank in any car. The modules alone are about 6.5 cubic feet (48 gallons).
  • Waiting for 🤡🐡 and 🤡H to chime in.
  • > @WW_icefree said:
    > Waiting for 🤡🐡 and 🤡H to chime in.

Why. Don't need more garbage
  • Not just the weather during ICE fill-ups. Also the safety aspect. Gas stations are getting terribly dangerous. Admittedly, I used to use them at some off hours - like 3 AM on the way to work. But I was accosted (and I think I was about to be mugged except I had finished fueling and was able to get in and drive away quickly) more than once. It had gotten to the point that I would keep a pocket knife in my hand along with my keys while fueling. The closest station to our current house has stabbings and other violence much more often than you would expect. Not going to these places is priceless! Driving in to our garage and plugging in for the win!
  • Not to mention credit card skimming at gas stations.

Don't have that problem in my garage, at work, or, at Superchargers.
  • I always hated waiting in line at Costco for gas - seems like it usually wasted another 15 minutes and was at least 10 minutes out of my way to get it. Yet, I and too many others used to do this every week!
  • > @"TeslaTap.com" said:
    > I always hated waiting in line at Costco for gas - seems like it usually wasted another 15 minutes and was at least 10 minutes out of my way to get it. Yet, I and too many others used to do this every week!

I also did the same, lining up for gas and I used to fill a 5 gallon metal can to be used for a snowblower; but I have since sold this ICE snow machine and got an electric snow thrower using a 90v Lithium battery that also fits a chainsaw and leaf blower. No more breathing gas fumes or exhaust and no need to ever buy gas again.
    The amount of time and extra driving saved saves money also. Some people have no clue how big this is until they experience it.
  • @Mike - Congrats on going all electric! I also ditched the gas lawnmower and went with battery-electric. So much nicer to no longer deal with gas, oil, and a temperamental lawnmower. Reminds me I need to go out and mow today!
  • In order of importance, for the general public:

$ - Tesla’s are much less expensive than their equivalent Porsche, let alone a Toyota Camry.
    Convenience - charge At home is the easiest. Supercharging is a close second.
    Safety - Safest cars on the planet
    Saving the planet - Lower kilograms of carbon per mile plus the ability to generate your own fuel at home.
    Status - Dank Memes

Tesla wins on every metric.
  • Correct reasons