Energy Products

Balanced Compared to Cost Saving Advanced Setting

Just got my stuff installed, and wondering what would be the best Advanced setting in a Northern California, PG&E area.

They look like they do the same thing to me.

What are there differences?

Thanks

Comments

• I had the same question and then I experimented with each for a week and here is what I found

Cost Savings:
    1) Uses more total power from the grid and sends back more total power to the grid than Balanced. But net power sent back to the grid is more than balanced
    2) Morning - When solar production first starts in the morning, ALL energy is first sent to the batteries to charge them until they are fulling charged. Only after they are charged does solar go to the house with excess going back to the grid.
    3) Peak TOU - During the peak hours all energy is taken from the battery to power the house and all solar is sent back to the grid

Balanced:
    1) Uses less total power from grid and sends less back to the grid. Even though the total amount of energy to and from the grid is less, the net energy sent back is also less than cost saving or the net energy used is more than cost savings. This is a greener option, but will also cost you more
    2) Morning - When solar production first starts in the morning, ALL energy first goes to the house. Any excess solar produced is then used to charge the battery. After the batteries are full, then the excess goes to the grid.
    3) Peak TOU - During the peak hours all energy to the house is taken from solar and excess to the grid until solar is no longer able to fully supply the house. Then both solar and battery supply the house. After solar has stopped, then only battery supplies the house.
    4) Battery "may" also be used during other times, such as shoulder or high demand times. This will vary by household based on usage, hours and rates and is learned by the battery and gateway over time. For us, the battery would kick in at 5:00 am when my wife got up to get ready for work. After a few days it learned to always power from the battery at 5:00 am due to our pattern of high usage during this time.

Hope that helps
  • Also on Balanced you will use the battery much more. Cost savings only uses the battery during the peak hours
  • During a grid outage the gateway will run in outage mode which is closer to self powered mode