Model 3

Wifi at home

My M3 does not recognize my home wifi and there is no cell phone tower available. Are there any other options?

Comments

• Your Model 3 should be able to connect to your Wifi network at home. How strong is your signal where you park your car?
  • Yeah. Not sure I get your post. Tesla should be able to connect as any connected device might. If it’s a signal reaching issue, upgrade to mesh wifi and/or get an extender.
  • You could stand by your car holding your cell phone, place phone on Wi-Fi and see strength of signal. If there's good signal, the M3 should see your Wi-Fi name and connect. If not, do a button-button-pedal reset then try again.
    As said above, mesh or an extender might be necessary if signal isn't strong.
    I recommend mesh.
  • @"appleby.bob2_98686330": I'm voting with the above. With the M3 in the garage here, the wi-fi access point/router at this place has to send a signal through a wall, some concrete block, the pavement in the garage, and another wall. My cell is down to 1-2 bars in the garage of wi-fi; the Tesla can barely see the signal, but the connectivity is rotten.
    First attempt at a solution was to get one of those cheapie $25 range extenders, which one places in such a point so it can "see" both the AP and the Tesla. That works, but the cheapies re-send all the router wi-fi traffic, playing havoc with the rest of the house's wi-fi network and slowing things 'way down.
    Second attempt was noting that the garage did have a wired Ethernet for use by the solar gear there. Turns out that wi-fi extenders commonly have a second, "Access Point" mode, where an Ethernet cable is connected to the box going to the wired router, the extender is set to have its own SSID on a different band than what the main router's using, and, well, away one goes.
    Mesh routing systems, as others have noticed, work pretty well and don't have the slow-everything-else-down problem that the range extenders do, but those are $$.
    Please download one of those freebie wi-fi power level apps to either your cell phone or a laptop, take it to the garage, and report results, please.
    Since it is a new car, there's the off chance that the wi-fi might be on the fritz; so, if there's 4 bars at the car with the cell phone, the car might be the problem. As you can tell from this post and the others above it, weak signals are more common.
  • > @"appleby.bob2_98686330" said:
    > My M3 does not recognize my home wifi and there is no cell phone tower available. Are there any other options?

What exactly do you mean by “not recognize”? Can’t recommend a solution until we know what the actual problem is.
  • By the way, if you have no cellular coverage where you park, your car won’t get notified of software updates until you drive or park somewhere with cellular coverage. This is true even if you’re on WiFi.
  • > @sheldon_mike said:
    > You could stand by your car holding your cell phone, place phone on Wi-Fi and see strength of signal. If there's good signal, the M3 should see your Wi-Fi name and connect. If not, do a button-button-pedal reset then try again.
    > As said above, mesh or an extender might be necessary if signal isn't strong.
    > I recommend mesh.

This is great advice. You also might try elevating and repositioning your wireless access point / router to see if you can get a sufficiently strong signal. Sometimes just rotating it is enough.
  • Note that the WiFi antenna is in the right side mirror housing. Reversing the direction of your car may improve the WiFi reception if the WiFi router is to the left of the car. Easy to do as a test.
  • > @"TeslaTap.com" said:
    > Note that the WiFi antenna is in the right side mirror housing. Reversing the direction of your car may improve the WiFi reception if the WiFi router is to the left of the car. Easy to do as a test.

Mine sure acts like the antenna is in driver's side (left). FWIW: https://twitter.com/teslaagirl/status/1103323036680417281