General

AP lane centering w double line

Has anyone else noticed that AP seems to center incorrectly when there is a double yellow line? It appears to center off of the far line rather than the line nearest the vehicle. This results in the car being slightly oriented nearer to oncoming traffic. Has anyone else noticed this or am I imagining things?

Comments

• Haven't noticed it but the car being centered has that effect on all of us anyway as we tend to shade to the right vs. the car's staying centered.

I don't use AutoSteer on single lane roads for that reason. It's OK on interstates and divided highways.
  • I see that whether there is a double yellow line or not.

It is a bit unfortunate that the autopilot's lateral position steering is totally oblivious to other traffic.

I wish it would stay nearer to the centerline while there is no other traffic, but it should move over towards the edge of the road when there is oncoming traffic and when other cars overtake me.

I guess, one day we will see that, because it is so obvious.
  • This was investigated here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1GZVaWGjtRk

As far as moving over for oncoming traffic, this is addressed with FSD beta.
  • > @"stingray.don_98527447" said:
    > ...
    > As far as moving over for oncoming traffic, this is addressed with FSD beta.

Can't wait to get it. (:-)