Model 3

Interior Camera for AP/FSD

If I understand correctly, other manufacturers use interior cameras and/or interior sensors to monitor the driver's alertness.

Has there been any talk of Tesla using the interior camera to monitor whether the driver is paying sufficient attention to the road while using AP/FSD? I feel like this would be a HUGE improvement if it could replace having to interact with the steering wheel every so many seconds.

Comments

• It possibly could be, I suppose. The only thing I’ve read is the camera is for (1) monitoring robotaxi passengers and (2) recording cabin when an accident or significant warning is triggered (and this feature is opt in).
    I think it would be great to have the camera monitor over hand torque presence on the wheel, but I know some might feel otherwise.
  • It sure seems to me there have been a couple of times when I was looking away from the highway and my M3 started screaming at me to take the wheel. When I did, there was no unusual situation FSD couldn't normally handle. I'm sure it is just me. I will add, when Tesla starts using the interior camera to track driver attentiveness, many people will not like it.
  • My guess is it may be opt in… In other words you can toggle interior camera for driver attentiveness or stay with hand on the wheel option.
  • This functionality has been requested and is not new (GM Super Cruise), but Tesla has not made any comment about adding it. Although, a hacker recently found code in the software for head position indicating this feature may be in development. No way to know if it will actually get released.
  • Now Electrek reports that a hacker known as 'green' has uncovered the key events that Tesla's software is designed to detect, and these focus on the driver's gaze, such as 'eyes up' and 'eyes down', 'phone use', and 'eyes closed'.

The events suggest that Tesla is at least exploring a driver-monitoring system based on gaze tracking rather than simply planning to use the camera to monitor passengers in future robotaxis.
  • There is no driver to monitor in a FSD car.
  • "Volvo will use in-car cameras to combat drunk and distracted driving
    10 comments. If you’re drunk or distracted, the car could intervene by actively slowing down and safely parking the car."

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/20/18274235/volvo-driver-monitoring-camera-drunk-distracted-driving
  • "Super Cruise easily took the lead here with its eye-tracking technology: “A camera-based driver monitoring system that uses eye-tracking technology checks to see whether the driver is looking at the road, and that's why Cadillac's Super Cruise is the clear winner when it comes to keeping the driver engaged."

https://electrek.co/2020/10/28/tesla-autopilot-loses-gm-supercruise-due-to-lack-of-driver-monitoring-industry-wide-test/
  • Don't listen to the troll, Tesla isn't looking to build a slot car like Cadillac is.

No need to engage a driver that isn't necessary.
  • The software analysis by the hacker is really interesting. I hope it comes to fruition and that monitoring the driver via the camera is a configurable option to keep everyone happy.
  • > @Aahhgg_Airplanes said: > The software analysis by the hacker is really interesting. I hope it comes to fruition and that monitoring the driver via the camera is a configurable option to keep everyone happy."

Pretty easy call. If you are using any automatic systems, the camera watches the driver.