Model 3

Is FSD included in the price while selling a Tesla?

If I want to sell my Model 3 (with FSD capability), is FSD included in the selling cost or is it just the car's price?

Comments

  • The value of the car including features is determined by the market. FSD will increase the value but not by as much as the initial cost. Just enter the car with and without the feature at KBB and you can see the effect of FSD on the value of the car.
  • FSD goes with the car, so your price should reflect that.
  • KBB doesn't mention FSD when you ask them to value your car. What did I miss?
  • I must be confused since I thought I read someplace that Tesla removes that feature before resale. Maybe they only do that when you trade it into Tesla and not private sales but it would be easy enough for them to do since they would know ownership has changed hands. It's another reason I may never sell my car.
  • > @bjrosen said:
    > KBB doesn't mention FSD when you ask them to value your car. What did I miss?

    It’s in there. You need to expand the interior options section to check it off.
  • > @jefjes_98051056 said:
    > I must be confused since I thought I read someplace that Tesla removes that feature before resale. Maybe they only do that when you trade it into Tesla and not private sales but it would be easy enough for them to do since they would know ownership has changed hands. It's another reason I may never sell my car.

    They absolutely do not remove it on private sales and I think the rumor of it being removed after a trade in is a Troll rumor. There are a lot of used Tesla’s with FSD on their site.
  • Thanks, found the FSD option on KBB. FSD only adds $1K to the value.
  • There was a time when FSD was a $2,000 option (which is when I bought it). I can imagine KBB chose that as their basis for their estimate. Since then, its cost has risen to $10,000 on new Teslas; I imagine KBB just hasn’t updated their pricing to match yet.

    If a private buyer were to only offer me only $1K or even $5K for my FSD, I would laugh and walk away.
  • > @HAL2001 said:
    > They absolutely do not remove it on private sales and I think the rumor of it being removed after a trade in is a Troll rumor. There are a lot of used Tesla’s with FSD on their site.
    >
    Where can I find this in writing? Since FSD is not portable how can you be absolutely sure Tesla won’t remove it at some point?
  • > @"stingray.don_98527447" said:
    > The value of the car including features is determined by the market. FSD will increase the value but not by as much as the initial cost. Just enter the car with and without the feature at KBB and you can see the effect of FSD on the value of the car.

    I don't think so, you can buy it from for or Tesla, either way will be 10k, its no like you can go buy it at walmart or on Craigslist
    FSD isn't worth less than the initial price, that's nonsense
  • > @"yudansha™" said:
    > Where can I find this in writing? Since FSD is not portable how can you be absolutely sure Tesla won’t remove it at some point?

    Sorry I don’t know where it’s written you will need to contact Tesla. but I promise you it is illegal for them to remove something you paid for without compensation. It’s part of the car. That would be a slam dunk lawsuit. And the furor it would create would crush Tesla.

    If you trade the car in, “after” they own it they could legally remove it but as I mentioned I think that is just a troll rumor as there are plenty of used cars with FSD.
  • Where is it in writing that they don’t kill puppies?
  • > @HAL2001 said:
    > > @"yudansha™" said:
    > > Where can I find this in writing? Since FSD is not portable how can you be absolutely sure Tesla won’t remove it at some point?
    >
    > Sorry I don’t know where it’s written you will need to contact Tesla. but I promise you it is illegal for them to remove something you paid for without compensation. It’s part of the car. That would be a slam dunk lawsuit. And the furor it would create would crush Tesla.
    >
    > If you trade the car in, “after” they own it they could legally remove it but as I mentioned I think that is just a troll rumor as there are plenty of used cars with FSD.
    >

    But they can label it Basic FSD or come up with FSD 2.0
  • > @"yudansha™" said:
    > But they can label it Basic FSD or come up with FSD 2.0

    Who cares what they call it. They cannot take it away from you or whom ever you sell it to. If you trade it in to "Tesla" they can do what ever they want once they own the car. Its not something to worry about.
  • I don't think OP purchased FSD, he only said capability.

    If that's the case then the answer would be no.

    You can only sell it based on the options that you pain for.
  • As far as the rumor mill goes, the one and only time I heard that this happened was when somebody traded in a Tesla with FSD _to_ Tesla. Tesla now had possession of the car and decided to sell it, for whatever reason, _without_ FSD. Except they goofed, left FSD on it, and, after it was in the possession of the new owner, removed it. There was an outcry, legitimate in my opinion, and, in the face of all that, Tesla put FSD back on that car.
    Most of what we heard around these parts was the original outcry, followed by lots of hypothesizing about what happened after the fact. I'm not sure that the original complainant even showed up on this forum; most of what I read about it was on places like Arstechnica, a place that has actual reporters that will go and track people down.
    Having said all that: Back in the day when the SO and I bought our M3, we didn't pay for EAP and all. The car came with it, anyway, and, apparently, we were not the only buyers so blessed. Tesla never did come down and remove the package; in fact, much later this year, the SO and I sprung for the _upgrade_ amount for FSD that took into account that we had the EAP.
    So, FWIW, Tesla gave us something we hadn't actually paid for, and we did note the fact to the delivery specialist when we took possession of the car. They didn't remove it later, either.
  • I bought my 2018 off a car lot that had about 5 model 3's. I paid about $3000 more for mine because it had FSD. It only had 2.5 computers and when I called the Service center, they made an appointment for me to bring it in for the 3.0 upgrade for free. It took two days and they gave me a S loaner car. So pretty sure it goes with the car.
Sign In or Register to comment.