Model 3

$1,000 for navigation to work

If you are the owner of a Tesla car you know you cannot drive it far and it's not related to charging but to the fact that Tesla is locked to the region and if you drive to another country, many things, including navigation won't work. For us, diplomats, military personnel, those who want to take their Tesla with them to the assigned duty station / base in another region, we are out of luck. I have purchased Tesla Model 3 in Switzerland and was posted in Amman, Jordan shortly only to find my Tesla completely useless. Even after changing SIM to the local one, I still cannot use navigation, plan for the trip etc, (also cannot use superchargers but its a separate topic). It reminds me a story with first generations of iPhones when they were locked to the region / provider and had to be unlocked with third-party solutions to be able to work world-wide. Tesla Service failed to provide a solution. I hope that Tesla could hear me and this problem can be "fixed" in the future but for now I'm looking for a work-around solution.

Comments

• In your situation (moving internationally quite a bit) I would think leasing is the way to go, no matter what make you buy.

Not having onboard navigation does not make the car useless. It’s less convenient. Charging, on the other hand may be a stronger argument for you. Though I would refer back to my first paragraph....why are you buying and transporting cars all over the world?
  • There is a software solution to your problem for sure because here if you drive in Canada or USA, navigation works everywhere like it’s the same region.
  • My aunt shipped her honda from the US to Germany for a civilian deployment and has to buy a separate nav system. The problem isn't restricted to Tesla.

That said, given how software based the cars are. It would be nice if they offered a non-local map package of some kind, alvier at a cost.
  • “ If you are the owner of a Tesla car you know you cannot drive it far and it's not related to charging but to the fact that Tesla is locked to the region and if you drive to another country, many things, including navigation won't work.”

What won’t work that prevents driving it far?
  • We already heard this story before. Why recycle it again?
  • .001% of owners maybe?

I understand the frustration, but not likely to be an issue for the very VAST majority of people.
  • > @AlexJordan said: For us, diplomats, military personnel, those who want to take their Tesla with them to the assigned duty station / base in another region, we are out of luck. "

You could try bouncing it up the chain of command. A lot of businesses will offer discounts and special services to people in civilian or military service. Get higher ups to approach Tesla.

Post it Musk's Twitter feed where he might see it or others will pick it up.
  • Wow, you are a diplomat and you buy cars?? First one I’ve EVER heard do that. I know quite a few CD plate holders and they never buy! They always lease at home and get given a car overseas. I’m assuming you are a junior dip who doesn’t get a car?
  • As many have noted this is not just Tesla any car brand you are in the same boat.
  • Where does $1k come into this?
  • > @PrescottRichard said:
    > Where does $1k come into this?

I was just about to post the same question. :-)
  • What the Tesla owner was willing to pay to get Tesla to update region for him.
  • > @FISHEV said:
    > What the Tesla owner was willing to pay to get Tesla to update region for him.

Would you go to another region for a grand?
  • You would not want to send your Tesla to Europe. You will not be able to charge it there plus they will not warranty anything on it!