General

President Biden should appoint E. Musk to solve the Climate Crisis

An advisory committee to the President with the VP running it perhaps putting Elon in charge who could recruit members needed in a WW II effort so we can move fast.
Who else to solve this issue other than Elon Musk?

Comments

• Unfortunately, the greenwasher, who has been quietly shielding the Delaware petro-chemical industry in the Senate for the past 45 years, is likely to hire the anti-Tesla, 'hydrogen-queen', Mary Nichols from CARB instead so I wouldn't hold my breath.
    Remember that the enemy of my enemy is not necessarily my friend.
    Don't let your guard down for the next 4 years any more than the past 4.
  • True @M-A-B-MCMLXXX
  • You misunderstood.
    Advisor on a committee like Trump did, who is fossil fuel promoter.
    Should take Musk 10 minutes of his time to advise. The fossil fuel industries need to transition out.
    Biden wants to Stop giveaways and subsidies to this fat industry.
  • Agree @Mike83, EM could provide invaluable advice on EV adoption, solar PVs, battery storage, and energy grid transition.
  • I am currently seeing a stock market market transitioning out of fossil fuels pumping the EV car companies market.

Political lobbying or not, it’s happening before 2030.
  • Musk is more of a Trump guy based on his anti-medical science rants and behavior with Covid-19 problems. His attack on CA and its policies which made Tesla possible. Not stable or mature enough.
  • XoLeRas. You are a disgusting piece of crap.
  • “America will soon have a government that treats the climate crisis as the urgent national security threat it is. I'm proud to partner with the president-elect, our allies, and the young leaders of the climate movement to take on this crisis as the President's Climate Envoy,” Kerry wrote on Twitter."

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/527189-biden-selects-john-kerry-for-climate-czar
  • Good pick for Climate Czar. He could ask Elon to advise and he should.

https://twitter.com/JohnKerry/status/1330945088080457731/photo/1
  • @Mike83

Like @WW_icefree, I'm with @M-A-B-MCMLXXX on this one given the fact that more has already been accomplished by Elon, JB Straubel and the other engineers at Tesla, succeeding in not just disputing, but dispelling each and every disclaimer by the ICE stalwarts regarding EV capabilities, proficiencies and practicalities and did so not by 'advising' or suggesting this or that but by actually showing and doing instead of playing 'show and tell' like the antiquated ICE companies and wannabe EV startups are doing now with their proposed EV offerings and empty promises.

That's how it is going to have to be done (and is being done), by just doing it and showing the world that it can be done so they will ALL be prompted to question their administrations 'why aren't we doing it that way instead of poisoning ourselves, our environment and future generations?'

Elon is right where he needs to be.
  • Free market wins
  • > @XoLeRaS
    > all Biden wants to do is line his pockets like he did for the past half century, if you think he will get anything done you are dreaming, and the hooker that he picked up (for her gender and color by people that say both shouldn't matter) for his VP, all she did was sucked her way to the top, both worthless

You are human garbage ,Worthless is your stay on this earth
    You are the moisture under dog shit
  • @bikice, well said. Absolutely disgusting/reprehensible comments by @XoLeRaS. He should be banned from posting on the Tesla forum.
  • > @Mike83 said:
    > An advisory committee to the President with the VP running it perhaps putting Elon in charge who could recruit members needed in a WW II effort so we can move fast.
    > Who else to solve this issue other than Elon Musk?

It won’t happen. My other post on this was long but I intended it to be an illustrative difference for enlightened readers (many of you bought Teslas for the right reasons) between a theoretical concerted action to address the magnitude of the problem and incremental decline into oblivion. Reversible executive policies with Obama got us where we are today (nowhere) and I see no evidence that Biden will pursue a different course of action. One way or another our military will end up involved in conflicts due to climate change and waiting for the inertia of ecological collapse to force the pentagon’s hand is exactly how we make the decline of civilization exponentially worse and much faster.
  • > @6EQUJ5 said: Reversible executive policies with Obama got us where we are today (nowhere)..."

Well they got us eight years of good policies. The real issue was and is GOP opposition to science whether it is medical or climate.

> @6EQUJ5 said: and I see no evidence that Biden will pursue a different course of action. "

We are hoping he restores Obama's science based policies and there is clear evidence with the Biden Plan to go well beyond Obama's science based climate policies.

> @6EQUJ5 said: One way or another our military will end up involved in conflicts due to climate change and waiting for the inertia of ecological collapse to force the pentagon’s hand is exactly how we make the decline of civilization exponentially worse and much faster. "

The only climate clash appears to be Russia illegal claims to Arctic regions opening up due to melting of the polar ice. Russian Navy is 20% the size of US. Add in China, US NATO partners, Japan et al and Russia is in no position to enforce its illegal claims.

If you want to see science based climate policies promoted, hope that GA votes Democratic otherwise GOP will block Biden as it did Obama in favor of US fossil fuel interests.
  • The gop will block Biden anyway - it’s called the filibuster - and climate change is a threat multiplier - current risks aside it will inevitably cause water wars, food insecurity, mass migrations, and regional skirmishes (including North America) with an incremental approach allowing countries to mostly do as they see fit emissions wise. Also, deforestation by deliberate or accidental burning is existential now. Civilization will collapse in a few decades if that isn’t stopped by whatever means necessary.

You know it’s find it funny when people talk of climate “science based” policies to promote incrementalism when all the good science says the planet needs to halve emissions by 2030 to even put a dent in what’s coming. 2050 ain’t gonna cut it bub. That’s politics at work, not science.

Last I checked the guy putting solar panels on the White House did habitat for humanity, not hospice for humanity. It’s too late to %#$& around.
  • > @6EQUJ5 said:
    > Last I checked the guy putting solar panels on the White House did habitat for humanity, not hospice for humanity. It’s too late to %#$& around.

Why do I hear Barry McGuire's song in my head after this post? :-)
  • > @6EQUJ5 said:
    > ...and regional skirmishes (including North America) with an incremental approach allowing countries to mostly do as they see fit emissions wise.
    >

With the worldwide recognition that it is fossil fuel emissions that are the cause of the global warming that has our continued existence on this planet questionable one would be inclined to think that countries would, at the very least, resort to other means of power generation and transportation fueling beyond that of the sort of conventional means that have gotten the world into the predicament that it is (fingers are crossed)?

> @6EQUJ5 said:
    > It’s too late to %#$& around.
    >

I completely agree.
  • > @6EQUJ5 said: > You know it’s find it funny when people talk of climate “science based” policies to promote incrementalism when all the good science says the planet needs to halve emissions by 2030 to even put a dent in what’s coming. 2050 ain’t gonna cut it bub. That’s politics at work, not science."

Scientists say otherwise.

"To avoid the worst consequences of climate change, we’ll need to reach “net zero” carbon emissions by 2050 or sooner. Net zero means that, on balance, no more carbon is dumped into the atmosphere than is taken out."

https://www.ucsusa.org/climate/solutions
  • I will be ready for a carbon tax.
  • > @andy_connor_e said:
    > I will be ready for a carbon tax.

That's dumb as it does not set a timeline for reduced emissions or guarantee results.

Just make zero emissions mandatory and get direct results on a fixed timeline.
  • Tesla solves the problem. I will be ready.
  • > @andy_connor_e said:
    > I will be ready for a carbon tax.

Ah, but a "carbon tax" isn't an actual penalty, rather just another deflection/a sleight of hand as the oil and gas industries are heavily subsidized yearly.

Conservative estimates put U.S. direct subsidies to the fossil fuel industry at roughly $20 billion per year; with 20 percent currently allocated to coal and 80 percent to natural gas and crude oil:

https://www.eesi.org/papers/view/fact-sheet-fossil-fuel-subsidies-a-closer-look-at-tax-breaks-and-societal-costs (end of third paragraph down)

While others provide a more comprehensive review that places it at upwards to some $649 billion in 2019:

https://www.imf.org/en/Publications/WP/Issues/2019/05/02/Global-Fossil-Fuel-Subsidies-Remain-Large-An-Update-Based-on-Country-Level-Estimates-46509

Yet they want to bitch and moan over a measly $7,500 tax credit for the purchase of an alternative fueled/electric powered car!

You see, they want you to think that this or that pollution emitting company/manufacturer of pollution emitting vehicles is being penalized by having to pay to fund the planting of trees or the reclamation of some industry devastated spot of land or some other such pro-green activity to offset their emissions, but this is all to distract you from the fact that the oil and gas industry, along with their subsidiary industries, are provided subsidies that cover such expenditures as merely the "costs of doing business" which they "write off" on their taxes.

So don't buy into the "carbon tax" deception.