General

Ford Mustang Mach-E gets 132 miles less range than Model S

Another disappointment from Ford, but at least they are trying. EPA range only 270 miles for the Premium AWD MachE with the optional $5K extra range battery. Other versions are as low as 210 miles on the base versions. The Model Y range also exceeds every version of the MachE. If you downgrade to the RWD version, Ford hopes to get to a 300-mile range with the extra range battery.

Then they have the untested and untried lane holding system for the USA. They offer nothing close to what Tesla offers today with FSD. Still, you have to give them credit for offering something other than mass pollution machines. I wish them success, but nothing for Tesla to worry about. It should convert some of the Ford fanboys to EVs, which is good.

Comments

• You forgot to mention with battery almost as big as Model S.
  • Well I would expect the mach e to have less range than a Model S. Isnt the Mach e more direct comparison to the Y ?
  • The "large" battery is 88 kWh. A thumbnail view is MachE AWD with an extended battery is 88,000/270 = 326 W/mile. Tesla Model S AWD: 100,000/402 = 249 W/mile. After looking at the numbers, I wonder why the MachE has such poor efficiency?
  • Model Y has 75 kWh battery MoM E almost 100 kWh.
  • You can compare to model X with 100 kWh battery and still higher range than MoME.
  • https://www.wardsauto.com/powertrain/epa-confirms-range-estimates-ford-mustang-mach-e

https://www.ford.com/buy/mach-e/build-and-price.html?context=dealer#/model

It happens to be their range target... with 88kwh available from the larger pack.

$52,000 for the rear wheel drive rated at 300 miles
    $54,700 for the awd rated at 270 miles

VS

$50,000 for a model Y awd rated at 326 miles
  • But but but... it's a Ford, and a Tesla killer.

/snicker
  • Then with Ford you have to pay $150/year forever to get current maps. Yikes!

I wonder what other hidden fees they stick you with.
  • > @"TeslaTap.com" said:
    > Then with Ford you have to pay $150/year forever to get current maps. Yikes!
    >
    > I wonder what other hidden fees they stick you with.

Is it necessary to get map updates every year these days? When I had a 2004 Honda, I'd get the updates after a few years.
  • If Ford uses HD maps for lane-keeping, it may be critical to have up-to-date maps. Technology that Tesla discarded years ago as impractical. But yes, you can skip maps and just have the map that came with the car. In the past, I've noticed new cars come with a map that is a year or more out of date. If you're in an area that never changes, then there is no reason to buy a map update.
  • Just announced Model S going to 409 miles range. Puts MachE even further behind, at 139 miles less range than the S. Perhaps by the time anyone gets a MachE in the USA the difference will be even greater. Tesla's constant improvements must drive legacy car companies nuts!

https://www.benzinga.com/news/20/11/18480405/tesla-updated-model-s-range-to-409-miles-report-suggests
  • I really wonder if the Zimmer rep will buy the MachE now that the specs are out.
  • Just waiting for FISH to come in here and start calling everyone fanbois and stating how jealous everyone is of the mach-e
  • Ya, but is it a fair comparison between the S and the Mach-E? One is a low slung super aerodynamic sedan and the other is a taller crossover. It would be better to compare it to the Y.
  • I'm sure that once these wannabes start getting product out into the hands of the public-at-large and begin seeing some real world circulation, not merely some mocked up prototyped/CG'd conceptual BS, we're going to see that the feedback from a lot of them, if not all of them, doesn't measure up to all of the hype, fanfare and puffery their manufacturers have put out about them...

Sad to say.
  • Sad that Ford slipped so far behind. I believe they still have government loans to pay back. What a predicament. Not sure if they have a way to compete but I actually hope they can come up with something.
  • In addition to those gov't loans they're also going to end up having to pay Tesla $$$/mucho dinero for theft of intellectual property/proprietary information, infringement, corporate embezzlement/espionage, etc., once that mess gets sorted out in the courts.

Who knows, maybe those T. Rowe Price people and Bezos could help bail them out, but Rivian might well wind up altogether dissolved if not have their entire intellectual portfolio owned by Tesla Motors.
  • @Fish head

This is NOT a Ford forum, dumbass.
  • From Ford's Mach-E website:

"Preproduction computer generated image shown"

Seems like the performance and range numbers must me made up too. Hope they didn't guess as well as Porsche did.
  • Ford can't even take a picture of the car for the website? That's sad. When Tesla introduces a car it's a real working car that anyone can take pictures of.
  • My 2014 Model S P85+ was rated at 263 miles. C/mon Ford you’re are LATE.
  • > @"blue adept" said:
    > In addition to those gov't loans they're also going to end up having to pay Tesla $$$/mucho dinero for theft of intellectual property/proprietary information, infringement, corporate embezzlement/espionage, etc., once that mess gets sorted out in the courts.
    >
    > Who knows, maybe those T. Rowe Price people and Bezos could help bail them out, but Rivian might well wind up altogether dissolved if not have their entire intellectual portfolio owned by Tesla Motors.

All things being equal, what with the actual culprits (Ford, because they needed to know how to actually produce an electric F-150) as obvious as any could be, Tesla might even end up owning Ford itself thanks to these very unscrupulous criminal acts...

Think about that.
  • It is really shocking that these huge car producers, with decades of experience, engineers, thousands of employees and production lines in place.
    Still have not been able to put out a competitive product...?!?
  • > @"blue adept" said: Tesla might even end up owning Ford itself

I don't think they'd want to. They'd be absorbing $175.23 billion in debt and have to deal with a bunch of capital equipment only used build things like camshafts, intake manifolds, pistons, etc.
  • > @MK_NJ said:
    > It is really shocking that these huge car producers, with decades of experience, engineers, thousands of employees and production lines in place.
    > Still have not been able to put out a competitive product...?!?

Their production lines have deep sunk cost of internal combustion engine assembly lines optimized for one and only thing.

EV assembly powertrain would be easier for Google, Amazon or Apple than Ford or Fiat Chrysler.
    GM have been working on it since EV1 so they have 20 years of unexpertise.