Solar Panels

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Getting my new 12kw system installed tomorrow!

Hello there! We just completed a full remodel (down to the studs) of our house. We originally ordered Tesla Solar roof but the wait became unbearable....6 weeks later and still not even an initial design . Tesla apologized and advised that we go with a traditional roof and add Solar panels. I ended up paying cash for the system to avoid the 6% interest Tesla is charging.

The process from deposit to install took less than four weeks!! They said install should only take 2 days. I opted out of getting the batteries as i would need a minimum of two for my large system and at 18k i would never see that money back. My solar is spec'd to produce 104% of my total peak summer usage (July & August) so over the course of a year i should still be at 'zero dollar bill'

We have two model 3's that we charge a couple times. Looking forward to truly free energy!!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Comments

• My elec energy usage is fairly low. Bought a model Y in Aug and my avg draw per bill period since is 370 kWh which includes two plus hot months in Southern Calif.

I cannot afford a Tesla solar roof. I am thinking of doing a panel install on one area of my garage that gets full sun for most of the day. I just talked with a Tesla sales rep. He wants to quote me for a solar roof. But it sounds like you're saying they can and will do a panel install.

So I can do a standard roof replace and then add Tesla solar panels? My peak usage during hot weather since I got my Model Y is 450 kWH. Any advice is appreciated.
  • You can replace your roof and then have Tesla install the solar panels. However, if you calculate the cost of a new roof (assuming a very high quality one) plus the solar panel, the price difference between that and a solar roof isn't a lot in most cases. So you might as well go straight into solar roof.
  • > @Yevernot said:
    >
    > My elec energy usage is fairly low. Bought a model Y in Aug and my avg draw per bill period since is 370 kWh which includes two plus hot months in Southern Calif.
    >
    > I cannot afford a Tesla solar roof. I am thinking of doing a panel install on one area of my garage that gets full sun for most of the day. I just talked with a Tesla sales rep. He wants to quote me for a solar roof. But it sounds like you're saying they can and will do a panel install.
    >
    > So I can do a standard roof replace and then add Tesla solar panels? My peak usage during hot weather since I got my Model Y is 450 kWH. Any advice is appreciated.

I would recommend looking into Tesla’s smallest system with one battery. Get a traditional roof like the Owens Corning Oakridge etc. should cost you 15-20k for re-roof plus the solar.
  • Got my permission to operate today!! My system produced 13kwh in 4 hours in cloudy weather. No bad at all!

I don’t however see how much I’m taking or adding to the grid... on the graph view.

Anyone know how to change views?
  • @guydude- Sounds good!

In the Energy Usage graph section, only select one item, like the grid. It will then show the amount from the Grid at the top, and below the graph, the amount to the grid. If you use the left arrow, you'll yet the prior full day. Tap the date just above the graph to select day view (the default), week, month, year, or a lifetime. You can also slide the vertical line and get the exact amount at a specific point in the chart.
  • Produced about 35kw today in cloudy weather again.

So i found out that i'm missing the PowerBlaster which is the component needed to view the flow rate to the grid and home.

The ONLY this i see is energy production.
  • There are several reasons that a PowerBlaster can't be installed. Some of the main ones are local building codes, an incompatible main e-panel, or insufficient room in the main e-panel. My solar PV-only install in late 2015 was without a PowerBlaster. I finally got consumption data with my two Powerwalls in early 2019.

There are third-party devices you *might* be able to install, but they wouldn't report through the Tesla app. "Sense" is one example, but it may suffer from the same limitations.
  • I use neurio myself as a secondary monitor of grid in/out on my system. The hardware is actually identical to what Tesla uses in the TEG, and has it's own CTs (Current Transformers). I bought it before my Tesla system was installed, so it's sort of redundant. The Tesla app is much easier to use and I rarely look at the neurio data. Neurio was bought by Generac, so I don't know if it's still being sold to consumers.
  • So installers dropped off a PowerBlaster for me. Now i need to figure out how to install it.
  • Guydude, Yikes! Working in a live electrical panel is not for the unskilled or feint-of-heart. Power found in them can kill you. I've done it on multiple occasions, but a career in electrical engineering gave me the knowledge of and respect for, power systems. I'm *not* an electrician.

That being said, IIRC, the PowerBlaster needs to be installed in your main electrical panel, in an available circuit-breaker slot. If no empty slot is available, doubled-breakers can be substituted for old ones to free up a space. The CTs need to be installed around the correct feeds, and the whole thing needs to be configured to talk to the Tesla servers. If you're a skilled electrician or solar installer...go for it. Otherwise...call somebody. I'd start with Tesla Customer Support.

Installing a PowerBlaster is not a job for a typical homeowner. Simply dropping off the thing is completely inappropriate and borders on negligent.
  • Certainly agree. I’m having a licensed electrician install it. I spoke to Tesla and they said that they will happily activate it for me
  • Bump