Model 3

Anyone upgraded?

Has anyone upgraded from a 2018 M3P to a 2020/2021 with the new upgrades? Trying to decide if I want to pull trigger or wait for new batteries.

Comments

• I'm going to upgrade from my Jan 2019 AWD M3 non-P to a 2021 M3P. I think there are going to be better batteries each year going forward for awhile.
  • > @in7_98388832 said:
    > I'm going to upgrade from my Jan 2019 AWD M3 non-P to a 2021 M3P. I think there are going to be better batteries each year going forward for awhile.

I’ve had my 2018 M3P and love it except for 3 blown out tires due to the low profile tires. I’m thinking about upgrading but not sure if I should wait another year.
  • I’ve had one actual blowout in 379k low profile miles.

Don’t see the appeal of an upgrade given the depreciation hit.
  • > @Bighorn said:
    > I’ve had one actual blowout in 379k low profile miles.
    >
    > Don’t see the appeal of an upgrade given the depreciation hit.

South Texas roads have a bunch of potholes. Bighorn, the smart move is to always keep a car the longest time possible, but I’m pretty dumb. Lol. I always get the newest iPhone and anything electronic.
  • I’ve spent significant time in all 48 states. Infrastructure is terrible in many places. Texas doesn’t stand out much in that regard. I fear most for my rims in MN, NYC, IA and VA based on experience with bent rims.
  • I think there will be improved range for the 2022 models (another 5% for the Panasonics), and also another improved range for the 2023 models (4860 cells). So the battery upgrades will continue on. I probably would not be doing my upgrade right now, but I'll be going from a non-performance dual motor to a performance dual motor. I'll probably do the aftermarket 18" wheels for it too.
  • > @in7_98388832 said:
    > I think there will be improved range for the 2022 models (another 5% for the Panasonics), and also another improved range for the 2023 models (4860 cells). So the battery upgrades will continue on. I probably would not be doing my upgrade right now, but I'll be going from a non-performance dual motor to a performance dual motor. I'll probably do the aftermarket 18" wheels for it too.

Smart idea about the aftermarket 18”. They are about 2,500 for rims and tires. That’s as far as I got on the tsportline website since you also have to pay for shipping.
  • Yeah, I know they're expensive, but you know FSD costs $10,000, so $2,500 is a better number, and something I want more. I'm going to go for the Martian wheels. You can see the review of them done by Kyle on the YouTube channel Out of Spec Motoring. https://youtu.be/zDPYAexE4Wk
  • I need to put 300k miles first to pay for the car in gas savings then I can buy another new one with whatever batteries they have by then.
  • > @nolasco1974_93430632 said:
    > Has anyone upgraded from a 2018 M3P to a 2020/2021 with the new upgrades? Trying to decide if I want to pull trigger or wait for new batteries.

We have a 2018 3 and just added a 2021 Y with the upgrades. I know 2 diff cars but I can still give some perspective. Overall same car, auto lift gate is nice for sure but can be added aftermarket, the big kick is the heatpump the Y is so much more efficient.

So I would say no need upgrade unless you really need the extra range. Also think about what you will gain if you upgrade is it really that imp to you, if it is then sure upgrade but if not don't. I mean you are still getting software upgrades so you are getting all the new features that can be added to your hardware.
  • @007bond
    Thinking about a Y primarily for the better camping footprint and hatch and the standard towing option.
  • > @Bighorn said:
    > @007bond
    > Thinking about a Y primarily for the better camping footprint and hatch and the standard towing option.

In ref to camping I think the new heatpump will make a big diff in overnight drain.

I was testing something charging related and wanted to drain off some battery. I left the heat on for an hour and was shocked same percent of charge. We have sat for an hour in the 3 and easy used 2%.

As for room no comparison the Y is huge.
  • @007bond
    Thanks. It looks more spacious. Haven’t seen how the rear hatch opens up the area where the rear shelf encroaches on the 3. I’m guessing it’s similar to the S though taller. Suspect the width between the wheel wells is still a twin mattress fit.
  • I sat inside a model Y when I was at the Tesla showroom last week or so. It seems identical to the Model 3 unless I looked up. It actually is the same width. So your extra spaciousness is in the vertical direction, which might be just fine if you're loading up the car by stacking stuff on top of stuff in the vertical direction.
  • > @Bighorn said:
    > @007bond
    > Thanks. It looks more spacious. Haven’t seen how the rear hatch opens up the area where the rear shelf encroaches on the 3. I’m guessing it’s similar to the S though taller. Suspect the width between the wheel wells is still a twin mattress fit.

There is no shelf so it is open roof to floor rear hatch to back of front seats (with rear seats down). Plus that huge end to end glass roof you can gaze at the stars. Room wise it is a really big diff. Plus you get an extra under floor storage and the extra storage well on the right side in addition to the one we are use to on the left side.

Everything that I keep in my 3's frunk I fit in the extra under floor storage on the Y. So it really gives more space all over.
  • Thanks. That’s very encouraging.
  • 007bond: with rear seats down, is there enough room for an adult lay down flat between back of driver's seat and rear of the passenger compartment? Thx.
  • > @sheldon_mike said:
    > 007bond: with rear seats down, is there enough room for an adult lay down flat between back of driver's seat and rear of the passenger compartment? Thx.

Yes unless your 7' tall. IMO the Y is a just an all around better 3.
  • @stacok_98279004, Y is nice but noooooooo. I like my sporty 3 in every way over the Y.