Model S

Headlights not Flush

My MS headlights are both not flush but when you look at them, they are both at the same depth and look the same on both sides as if it was designed like this. I’m not sure if this is normal but it sure looks like it :)

Comments

• By the way they aren’t flush with the bumper. The bumper sticks out more, so the headlights are recessed. Plus the part of the bumper that is sticking out is painted
    (Refreshed MS 2017 December 2016 build)
  • The lights recessed into the bumper are fog lights, not headlights.
    My car is a January 2016 car.
  • > @Teslafan_20 said:
    > By the way they aren’t flush with the bumper. The bumper sticks out more, so the headlights are recessed. Plus the part of the bumper that is sticking out is painted
    > (Refreshed MS 2017 December 2016 build)

This is pretty common. I’ve looked at many 2017 cars. The issue is that the plastic bumper is free floating at that point. There is no clip or structural support to force alignment at that point. I have spoken to Service and a body shop. Not much one can easily do about it. Not sure if later models still have this problem.
  • > @murphyS90D said:
    > The lights recessed into the bumper are fog lights, not headlights.
    > My car is a January 2016 car.
    >
    No I’m talking about the headlights. I wish I could post some photos.

> @Ohmster said:
    > > @Teslafan_20 said:
    > > By the way they aren’t flush with the bumper. The bumper sticks out more, so the headlights are recessed. Plus the part of the bumper that is sticking out is painted
    > > (Refreshed MS 2017 December 2016 build)
    >
    > This is pretty common. I’ve looked at many 2017 cars. The issue is that the plastic bumper is free floating at that point. There is no clip or structural support to force alignment at that point. I have spoken to Service and a body shop. Not much one can easily do about it. Not sure if later models still have this problem.
    >
  • > @Ohmster said:
    > > @Teslafan_20 said:
    > > By the way they aren’t flush with the bumper. The bumper sticks out more, so the headlights are recessed. Plus the part of the bumper that is sticking out is painted
    > > (Refreshed MS 2017 December 2016 build)
    >
    > This is pretty common. I’ve looked at many 2017 cars. The issue is that the plastic bumper is free floating at that point. There is no clip or structural support to force alignment at that point. I have spoken to Service and a body shop. Not much one can easily do about it. Not sure if later models still have this problem.
    >

Your right about the plastic bumper floating. Every time I push on it comes back to its original position. I’m not bothered with it because it looks like it was designed like this. Thanks
  • You can post photos on another site and then post a link here.