Model Y

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Model Y Heated Steering

Sadly we cancelled our Model Y bc no Heated Steering available. I am aware of the preheat function but that is no substitute. I personally know of 8 people who have either cancelled or rejected Tesla 3/Y as an option bc NO Heated Steering wheel. Once you have heated steering there is no going back in cold weather climates.

Come on Tesla, give the people what they want!

Comments

• Then get an X
  • So you know 8 other people without common sense.
  • My wife wanted a heated steering wheel. I told her we should get an S. She saw the price difference and decided she could deal with cold hands for the 5 minutes or so it will take to warm the car.
  • Try to direct heat when used towards steering wheel should help a lot, I had a few chilly days where i am & this helped felt like it was a heated steering wheel
  • OK no issue as you can see the backlog of orders I am sure someone who will not get their car sooner thanks you.
  • Typo now get their car sooner.

What we really need is ability to edit our post.
  • where is the facepalm emoji when you need it....
  • RajG - I agree that a heated steering wheel is a common feature in many vehicles these days, and shouldnt be too complicated to add to M3 and MY. It didnt prevent me from getting an M3, but i do miss it. Hopefully, will be added to M3 and MY sometime in next year or so. Meanwhile i use preheat alot.
  • I too was disappointed that Model Y does not have a heated steering wheel. After owning two models S starting in 2014. I enjoyed the comfort. But I decided it was a “nice to have” not a must have. I am very pleased with my new Model Y after a month, and I bought a nice pair of runners gloves (very thin) with a touch-sensitive fingertip, that I keep in the handy door pocket (which the S does not have), should I need them. To cancel the order seems extreme, and to miss out on the wonderful driving and ownership experience of a Tesla for this minor matter is unfortunate.
  • Model 3 and now Y for 2021 have received an updated steering wheel design (identified by the metal rollers). Have read rumors that they have a heating element that will be enabled with an update closer to the holidays. Seems believable -- otherwise why the change?
  • I find the steering wheel doesn’t get that cold, however the center console arm rest takes a very long time to walk up.
  • I just went to my 3 and my Y and did voice command "Turn on heated steering wheel" the response was a picture of a heated steering wheel and a message "Failed to turn on steering wheel heater".

So sounds like they are planning it but I don't think it will work unless we have the redesigned steering wheel that I see someone posted they just got on a pickup.
  • > @zabi said:
    > Model 3 and now Y for 2021 have received an updated steering wheel design (identified by the metal rollers). Have read rumors that they have a heating element that will be enabled with an update closer to the holidays. Seems believable -- otherwise why the change?

Are there pictures of this? My car was built in November and the wheel buttons are still plastic. However, I did try the command for steering wheel heat and got the same message as others here.

Heated steering wheels are nice when they are done the right way. I had a Infiniti Q50 and it wasn’t good (only certain areas get heat). Same with some Lexus cars. My 2007 BMW 650i has it right, the entire wheel is heated (very quickly at that). In the Y, the pre-heat is just fine if the vent is positioned correctly and air flow is split in two directions.
  • Dear newbies, granted it would be a deal killer for a normal car north of SanFran, but its only a very minor annoyance in a Tesla because you'll find you're using auto steer almost all the time so you're barely touching the wheel, not clamping your hands on it like a normal car, please tell your 8 people to look me up and I'll send them a video but i want the referral props when they change their minds...
  • Just read and article where a 72,xxx VIN car had the metal scroll wheels. Would that mean metal scroll wheels = possible heated steering and people with black rubber scroll wheels have the original wheel?
  • > @MineIsBlueOn20s said:
    > > @zabi said:
    > > Model 3 and now Y for 2021 have received an updated steering wheel design (identified by the metal rollers). Have read rumors that they have a heating element that will be enabled with an update closer to the holidays. Seems believable -- otherwise why the change?
    >
    > Are there pictures of this? My car was built in November and the wheel buttons are still plastic. However, I did try the command for steering wheel heat and got the same message as others here.
    >
    > Heated steering wheels are nice when they are done the right way. I had a Infiniti Q50 and it wasn’t good (only certain areas get heat). Same with some Lexus cars. My 2007 BMW 650i has it right, the entire wheel is heated (very quickly at that). In the Y, the pre-heat is just fine if the vent is positioned correctly and air flow is split in two directions.

There's a photo in this article:
    https://driveteslacanada.ca/model-y/tesla-model-y-now-comes-with-glovebox-usb-and-new-metal-scroll-wheels-from-model-3/
  • Yeah, saw that. Thanks. My car is 74,xxx and I have the double pane windows and dimming side mirrors. No dice on the metal scroll wheels. Oh well.
  • Just got a 2021 Y. Can anyone tell me how to turn off the heated steering wheel? It came on today when I started driving without my doing anything, and it’s in the 70s here, so this is uncomfortable.
    So many things to learn about the car!
  • same place as the heated seats. press the fan icon