Model 3

Really weird FSD jerk on highway

Was entering on the right lane on a 4 lanes highway. There was a truck in front of me but I had set the address and Navigate on Autopilot was engaged.

It had to go on the left lane to keep on the good path to avoir the bridge exit 1 mile further.

There was a bus coming at full speed on the express lane which is the 4th lane inn the far left.

Autopilot decided to change on the left lane when the bus was about 200ft behind of the left lane.

When the car started to engage the 3rd lane by changing on the left lane, the bus was catching and arrived just at the moment the autopilot was engaging the third lane. The bus being on the fourth.

The autopilot then rapidly jerked the car back in the 2nd lane,

The bus kept his course in the express lane reserved for buses at relatively high speed. Maybe 5mph above limit, which is uncommon for a bus.

I was surprised if the decision made by the algorithm.

Comments

• Do you have the video? Would be interesting to see. I have trouble visualizing based on the description.
  • Sometimes it has trouble deciding what lane a truck/bus is in, so it must have thought lane 3 was unsafe for the merge.
  • > @"stingray.don_98527447" said:
    > Do you have the video? Would be interesting to see. I have trouble visualizing based on the description.

No, unfortunately my 256gig sandisk was full
  • edited November 2020
    > @Maxxer said: > The autopilot then rapidly jerked the car back in the 2nd lane,"

Did it signal the lane change back to 2nd lane?

You mention the bus being 200 ft back when the car started to move into the 3rd lane, likely beyond detection in the rear sensors who when they do see it don't know what lane the bus is in so safe choice is back to 2nd lane.

Wonder what the car would have done if it saw another car in lane 2, with the car thinking the bus is going to hit it. Sped up? Slammed on brakes?