General

Model S Stolen

Hi, so my Model S was stolen two nights ago from outside my house. CCTV from further down the street shows a man walk up the street at 4.45am, duck behind a car when a van passes, shield his face when he passes the camera that picks him up (so he obviously knew it was there) and then thirty seconds later my car drives back past the same camera.

I keep my fobs in faraday pouches and had PIN to drive active. I can only assume my fob was spoofed prior to the theft and the PIN to drive was obtained by being watched at some point or there is a vulnerability we aren't aware of. The car was offline from 4.04am according to Tesla Service dept who only have access to basic info, and has been offline since so the app is useless. Contacting Tesla and getting any info from them has been PAINFUL. I am still waiting for the DPO (data protection dept) to respond with the log to see exactly what happened or maybe share some more info they can see that isn't available generally. DPO never responded to any emails and i have to repeatedly call/email Tesla Park Royal (London) to get any updates. There only response is they have requested info from DPO and are waiting on it. I assume the car is completely in pieces by this point (a day and a half later). So much for a near impossible to steal car :(

Comments

• It’s possible, and maybe more likely, the thief got your Tesla account credentials, which would let them access the car without a fob and bypass the PIN to drive. Have you checked your computer for malware or spyware? Have you logged in to your Tesla account on a public WiFi network?
  • Be careful if you had Homelink programmed into your car. You dont want them copying the signal and opening a garage door and getting into your house.
    A person I knew had their garage door remote stolen and someone used it to get into their garage and then into their house. They found their cars keys and stole 2 cars and a motorcycle out of the garage.

Tesla needs to install a hidden battery backup that prevents the GPS from being disabled if the battery is disconnected. Have it installed in an area behind or under the dash that is impossible to get to without having to take a few hours to get to. But then the crooks might figure out how to break off the Wi-Fi antenna that is easily accessible, so another one would need to be hidden or possibly built into one glass panels.
  • Didn't Tesla provide some sort of two factor authentication recently?

Perhaps Tesla could create mode that disables the car if remote access is disabled without the two factor validation (one from the car, and the other from the app)
  • I'm so sorry to hear this. What year was it? Hopefully, it was fully insured, and perhaps you can get a brand new one? Best of luck.
  • @CLaz

If this occurred in "London", as in the U.K., then why are you posting on the American Tesla Motors site?

Other than that, while Tesla has gone to great lengths (farther than any other automobile manufacturer in fact, and even some computer security software manufacturers, to insure the security of its car and its functionality) car thieves are exceptionally skilled these days and, judging by your description of the incident and the thieve's awareness of camera locations, it's pretty clear that they've been plotting this theft and watching you for awhile (with, perhaps, the help of someone close to you) which means that you were specifically targeted likely with the help of someone on the inside.

This is a car theft, aka "grand theft auto", and what you should be doing is contacting the police instead of frustrating yourself with repeatedly attempting to contact Tesla who are, themselves, likely providing the police with any assistance that they're able so you shouldn't harass those who're trying to help you.

Again, I'd look closer to home, you know, in case.
  • @EVRider

Good advice!

+1
  • > @Tesla2018 said:
    > Be careful if you had Homelink programmed into your car. You dont want them copying the signal and opening a garage door and getting into your house.
    > A person I knew had their garage door remote stolen and someone used it to get into their garage and then into their house. They found their cars keys and stole 2 cars and a motorcycle out of the garage.
    >

Good advice and accompanying cautionary tale!!

++1

> @Tesla2018 said:
    > Tesla needs to install a hidden battery backup that prevents the GPS from being disabled if the battery is disconnected. Have it installed in an area behind or under the dash that is impossible to get to without having to take a few hours to get to. But then the crooks might figure out how to break off the Wi-Fi antenna that is easily accessible, so another one would need to be hidden or possibly built into one glass panels.
    >

While a secondary power supply or WiFi antenna might be good ideas as backups, either would be easily defeated with the use of a Faraday cage equipped box van large enough to contain a car (as I've heard of being used in a different theft), which might be what was used in this theft as it would explain the inability to track the vehicle.
  • > @Cousin_Eddie said:
    > Didn't Tesla provide some sort of two factor authentication recently?
    >
    > Perhaps Tesla could create mode that disables the car if remote access is disabled without the two factor validation (one from the car, and the other from the app)
    >

The PIN number is meant to be the secondary authentication.

Tesla's user experience is meant to be as practical as it is for users of conventional automobiles, ergo, not overly complicated.

I guess that yet another layer of protection is required, though the goal is to make a car that is as "user friendly" and affordable as possible so that its use isn't cumbersome or a hindrance or an
    annoyance to, or too expensive for, the user to use/own.

But that's just it, isn't it?

Unfortunately it's likely we'll never be able to upgrade a vehicle's security systems enough to stop a car thief who's vigilant and desperate enough to put in the effort to steal it, sad to say.