Model S

Tesla won’t replace eMMC chip

Brought my 2016 July built Model S in due to occasional blank displays. They ran the MCU auto diagnosis and found eMMC errors but won’t replace eMMC chip. Here is what they replied:

The eMMC was not replaced. It did not fail at all. This is what my technician wrote: "Could not verify customers concern. Preformed MCU auto diagnosis. Found maps missing. eMMC-related errors found together with map missing alert. The errors could come from navigation storage device instead of the Tegra eMMC. Vehicle showing maps up to date but a new maps is available. Both online and offline banks 0. Firmware is up to date develop/2020.36.11-155-ccacdb181f. Reset board cache, Reset maps, OTA maps .Customer to place car in good wifi, Customer to monitor."

I have them keep the car for the 3rd day to download maps which required 8-10 hours.

Is this typical that Tesla tech just keep finding excuses instead of fixing the problem and keep charging customers for the $195 diagnostic fees and wasting their time?

Comments

• it seems like your eMMC hasn't degraded enough where they would do a replacement yet. i have a 2017 MS and i recently got a message on my screen saying "Center display storage device degraded. Ok to drive schedule service". which i did. Let's hope they don't give me a run around like they did to you.
  • This nonsense is why I "bit the bullet" and upgraded to MCU2. The MCU1 is now gone from my car. Yes I lost the radios. I only listened to XM and I can stream that through my cell phone for free because I have two old XM radios that have lifetime (of the radio) subscriptions.

I had the missing maps problem. I believe the root cause was the failing MCU1 did bad writes to the map SD card and destroyed its formatting. The fix was to partition and format the card.
  • As I've been telling others, deactivate PIN to drive if you have it activated. And doing repeated scroll wheel reboots eventually killed my eMMC so you can try that, but YMMV.
  • Yep, I also have a July '16 S with reboot issues occurring about weekly and I'm concerned it will black out permanently at some point soon. Got same runaround as OP being told to remove all trip and navigation history to keep the thing limping along. I was quite upset when the ranger removed my trip history without asking me which is where I monitored my lifetime efficiency.
    I wish they'd just change the blasted chip and get it over with but I'm encouraged the warranty on it was extended.
    Anybody else unable to load FoxNews Radio on TuneIn? It never loads for me and technician said this is a known issue they can't fix?
  • @Man4368 ;

Did you offer to pay for the chip?
  • > @gdthomson29_98408073 said:
    > Yep, I also have a July '16 S with reboot issues occurring about weekly and I'm concerned it will black out permanently at some point soon. Got same runaround as OP being told to remove all trip and navigation history to keep the thing limping along. I was quite upset when the ranger removed my trip history without asking me which is where I monitored my lifetime efficiency.
    > I wish they'd just change the blasted chip and get it over with but I'm encouraged the warranty on it was extended.
    > Anybody else unable to load FoxNews Radio on TuneIn? It never loads for me and technician said this is a known issue they can't fix?

Yes on FoxNews. Also can't get other stations like ESPN.
  • On my last big trip, I noticed only one of the news options worked reliably, I believe it may have been MSNBC. The others mostly showed errors, but would occasionally connect. I believe it’s likely on TuneIn’s end.
  • Yeah MSNBC worked.
  • My song titles are now lagging behind and voice commands take a while to register. Just got my car back from a HW3 upgrade. Nothing improved obviously but I can’t get stop and traffic light recognition without the latest maps. Don’t see the ability to download them either. How does pin to drive effect the MCU?
    2017 Model S HW3 FSD
  • > @Sco3putt_98083198 said:
    > My song titles are now lagging behind and voice commands take a while to register. Just got my car back from a HW3 upgrade. Nothing improved obviously but I can’t get stop and traffic light recognition without the latest maps. Don’t see the ability to download them either. How does pin to drive effect the MCU?
    > 2017 Model S HW3 FSD

PIN to drive doesn't affect the MCU, but if the MCU dies with it enabled, you might not be able to drive your car.
  • You can’t force the latest maps to download, you have to wait until they’re available for your car and then connect to WiFi to download them.
  • Seems like I have the same problem, for a different reason. My appt to replace the chip pushed out to 9 weeks from initial order. Since they have rescheduled 4 times, doubt it will really happen.
  • Do they attach those chips with rivets?
  • No, but the saga IS riveting.
  • They are good with excuses, especially if you are still in warranty. A translation of this is: “It’s broken but not broken enough. Put up with it a while longer.”
  • Is there a recall on this.Do not want to wait until it breaks down in the middle of Highway.Is NHTSA is aware of this.
  • @devender24_93535894 - Ok there is no recall. Tesla will not replace it until it is going bad. They did extend the warranty to 8 years, 100K miles. Failure does not stop the car in the middle of the highway.

NHTSA is aware of it and as far as I can tell, they don't consider it a safety item. Safety items are typically things that cause you to crash or get killed such as bad airbags, gas tanks that leak, engines that catch fire, brakes that don't brake, a steering wheel that falls off, etc.
  • And cheap ignition switches that kill people. You’d think...
  • > @Bighorn said:
    > Sounds like they're doing the appropriate diagnostic work up and you have simpler ideas. Like the mom that demands an antibiotic from the pediatrician for their kid's viral infection. Lots of internet experts out there.

But in the case of the eMMC, no organisms will become resistance as a result. ;-)
  • resistance->resistant
  • Resistant to critical thought?
  • Looks like diagnostics are becoming less opaque.

https://mobile.twitter.com/greentheonly/status/1332774137320837125
  • > @Bighorn said:
    > Resistant to critical thought?
    Two different animals.