Energy Products

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Storm Watch

I show storm watch is active on the app this morning. But my PW's are not charging from the grid. They are at 19%. Any ideas why they are not charging? I'm on SCE TOU-A.
Thx

Comments

• I also have SCE and mine charged up from the grid due to the same Red Flag Warning I am assuming you got as well.

What setting are you using for your Powerwall, Backup, Self-Powered, or TOU Balanced or Cost Savings? I believe it will not charge from the grid if you have it on self-powered
  • I'm on cost savings. In the past when Storm Watch is active, I'm unable to change any settings. I switched to backup only, no help
  • > @3500HDP3D said:
    > I'm on cost savings. In the past when Storm Watch is active, I'm unable to change any settings. I switched to backup only, no help

Give it some time. Mine activated and I did not want it to as I rather completely charge my battery from solar than the grid. Now I have 100% battery before today even started
  • It's been active for hours now. I wanted it to charge from the grid at .14 a KW!
  • Solar has started, no change
  • Interesting. Don’t know what to tell you.
  • It would be interesting to know how tightly StormWatch tracks the specific areas under PSPS. I'm not on StormWatch myself, but then again, I'm not in one of the very specific zones chosen by SCE. Those zones are pretty scattershot all around Southern CA.
  • That was my thought. SCE removed the PSPS from my area today.
    I still have Storm Watch active on the app.
  • My area is not in an SCE shutdown zone. But because the NWS issued a broad Red Flag Warning for all of LA County, everyone’s PW in LA County got Storm Watch activated.
  • We too have a NWS Red Flag Warning for our area. Had all of the warning for PSPS possible shutoffs yesterday.
  • Interesting. I'm in coastal OC CA, and have no indication of Stormwatch being invoked. Which begs the question: Is there any way to see if Stormwatch has been invoked without needing to catch it in the act by seeing real-time energy flow from the grid to the PWs in the graphic animation? Having it show up in something like the Backup History screen would be nice. I can't stare at the graphic animation all day. I have to get back to the important stuff in my COVID lockdown life, like jigsaw puzzles...
  • It will display the word “Storm Watch” on the APP
  • But only during the time it's actually active?

What I'm asking about is any kind of indication that it was on *previously*.
  • > @gregbrew_98470014 said:
    > But only during the time it's actually active?
    >
    > What I'm asking about is any kind of indication that it was on *previously*.

I don't think there is such a notification. The only notification history is for power outages
  • As I thought. It sure would be a nice feature to add to a "History" tab.

One can dream....
  • Just received the email warning of another PSPS event for my grid. It states the monitoring begins at 2100 Dec 2nd - 0000 Dec 5th. Have not seen any NWS Fire watch warnings yet.
    I will look tonight at 2100 to see if Storm Watch is active and if its charging my PW's.
  • My PW just went into Storm Watch mode because of the Red Flag Warning that was just issued here in Southern California
  • The NWS for Los Angeles just issued the Red Flag Warning less than an hour ago. Your PW should go into storm watch mode in the next few hours. Mine went in a few minutes ago but my battery was already full from a full day of sun.

Here is the NWS service site: https://www.weather.gov/lox/
  • Got the Red Flag warning, but Storm Watch has not activated yet.
  • Woke up this morning to Storm Watch activated and Power Walls at 100%. SCE revised Monitoring for PSPS to:
    12/3/2020 6:00 PM
    to: 12/4/2020 3:00 PM.
  • You folks must be inside one of the scattered So. CA PSPS zones. I have several nearby, but I'm not actually in one. No Stormwatch activity here (Huntington Beach).
  • I am outside the PSPS zone but in the Red Flag warning zone so I still get it
  • I'm inside of a PSPS zone. Red flag warning too
  • Our power never gets shut off for fires as all our powerlines are underground for miles.
  • Our power lines are underground too, but part of my grid is above ground.