General

Prediction - Fuel Prices to skyrocket next year.

As the Biden administration begins to implement its policies and return the heavy EPA restrictions, I predict the cost of fuel will jump to all time highs.

Comments

• What is this fuel you speak of? My fuel comes from the wall of my house and the price hasn’t changed much in the last 10 years.

Oh ....you mean fermented Dino juice....

Beautiful. Needs to happen.
  • EPA , environment is worth protecting, you want to have no protection and let big oil call the shots? WHY? You have grandkids? See past your nose?
  • Better believe it. Get ready everything that runs on gas could go up dramatically
  • > @SamO said:
    > What is this fuel you speak of? My fuel comes from the wall of my house and the price hasn’t changed much in the last 10 years.
    >
    Mine jumped a bunch in 2017 and 2019, and I expect further increases.
  • > @blkice said:
    > EPA , environment is worth protecting, you want to have no protection and let big oil call the shots? WHY? You have grandkids? See past your nose?

what the hell kind of reply was that - at what point was my post calling it a bad thing
    don't be such a self righteous asshat
  • Sorry about that but kinda sick of the demonizing of regulations that protect clean air, water, food and health, which you did not do, so I was out of line, my bad
  • > @blkice said:
    > Sorry about that but kinda sick of the demonizing of regulations that protect clean air, water, food and health, which you did not do, so I was out of line, my bad

thank you - and sorry I blew up, now back to the program....

I'm thinking the upcoming rise in fuel costs will most certainly accelerate the EV market growth. With that, I foresee many underwhelming EV's flooding the market, only to solidify the value of a TESLA ;)
  • All time highs are pretty high. Over $4 a gallon even in the Midwest. Filling up an suv was getting up over $100. People were ditching gas hogs left and right. 1990s geo metros used market went way up. If that happens again the ev market will explode.
  • > @Cousin_Eddie said: > As the Biden administration begins to implement its policies and return the heavy EPA restrictions, I predict the cost of fuel will jump to all time highs."

World is still in a Trump/GOP/Covid19 induced recession so oil use is down and oil prices are down and look to go down further as economic wreckage of Trump/GOP faith based policies take their toll in lives and dollars.

Biden economic stimulus is tied to Green New Deal, promoting economic expansion of sustainable energy, mfg and buildling regs to get US out Trump/GOP Great Recession 3.0, so oil use will be depressed further.
  • Gee - I am not so sure gasoline prices will go up under Biden. That is, i dont expect his admin to try to add a tax or whatever. They do not want to make life more expensive for average Americans. However, market forces could have an effect, and things like interest rates. I dont think changes at EPA will have much of an effect that can be seen at pump prices. but, i could be wrong. Has anyone studied how pump prices correlate with amount of EPA regs?
  • > @Wilber said: Has anyone studied how pump prices correlate with amount of EPA regs?"

Not sure how much study would be needed. If EPA pushes for greater fuel efficiency then oil usage will decline based on those policies. Volume increase could overwhelm unit decrease in emissions but pressure of the regs is always on lower fuel use, lower fuel sales and lower fuel prices.
  • Cousin_Eddie: I guess what i am saying is that, based on what i know now, I might expect prices to go up 2 or 3 cents per gallon when EPA regs are better enforced. This is not likely to get the average American bent out of shape. When you say "skyrocket" i think of increases of 50 cents or a buck a gallon.
  • > @Wilber said:
    > Has anyone studied how pump prices correlate with amount of EPA regs?

Quantity of regulations? I doubt that would be particularly meaningful. The content of regulations can have an impact on prices. An interesting case study might not be EPA, but California, which has specific gasoline formula requirements. It’s more expensive to make, and results in about $.10-$.15 more per gallon at the point of sale.
  • > @M-A-B-MCMLXXX said: An interesting case study might not be EPA, but California, which has specific gasoline formula requirements. It’s more expensive to make, and results in about $.10-$.15 more per gallon at the point of sale."

Pretty much debunked. The oil companies spend 10 times more on marketing than the impact of any phony "formulation costs".

"On Monday, Newsom asked the state attorney general’s office to investigate whether price fixing or false advertising contribute to the mystery surcharge on California gasoline."

https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/news/2019/10/23/gas-stations-blame-california-regulations-for-high.html
  • edited November 2020
    > @FISHEV said:
    > > @M-A-B-MCMLXXX said: An interesting case study might not be EPA, but California, which has specific gasoline formula requirements. It’s more expensive to make, and results in about $.10-$.15 more per gallon at the point of sale."
    >
    > Pretty much debunked.
    >

Someone forgot to tell California's official energy commission about that near debunking of the factors affecting fuel prices in California.

“California's unique, cleaner-burning gasoline blend specification costs more to produce than other types of gasoline, typically amounting to a 10-to-15 cents per gallon price difference between California and the U.S. average.”

https://www.energy.ca.gov/data-reports/energy-almanac/californias-petroleum-market

Perhaps you should stick to things you're qualified for, like discussing sci-fi programming on the interwebs: https://www.reddit.com/user/EaglesPDX/posts/
  • @M-A-B-MCMLXXX said:> Someone forgot to tell California's official energy commission about that near debunking of the factors affecting fuel prices in California."

Nope...CA caught the rascals.

"Those cost factors currently justify a $0.72 differential between California and the average in the other states. But this morning that differential is $1.18. The 46 cent difference is the MGS today."

https://energyathaas.wordpress.com/2020/02/10/californias-mystery-gasoline-surcharge-strikes-back/
  • The mystery surcharge Professor Borenstein has studied is above and beyond regulatory and legislative factors which also make CA fuel more expensive. The discussion herein is about regulation. Try to keep up or, better yet, go back to Reddit.
  • The previous restrictions were primarily on drilling, not refining. There is a worldwide glut of crude. I don't see prices going up substantially.
  • you are all wrong unless you agree with me [grin]
    I stand by my prediction ;)
  • > @Cousin_Eddie said: > I stand by my prediction"

Well it's really the crazy NewsMax "prediction" you repeated.

"Oil Prices Rise to 2019 Highs on OPEC Cuts, US Sanctions"
    https://www.newsmax.com/finance/markets/oil-prices-crude-opec/2019/03/19/id/907650/

A bit looney toones as oil prices have dropped and oil industry especially US frackers are in in steep decline due to low usage from Trump/GOP Covid-19 crash.

"Markets rise after lockdowns prompt oil price plunge"
    https://www.bbc.com/news/business-54775143
  • NewsMax is trumps mouthpiece now and in the future when he’s out of office
    Billionaire Propaganda
    Resist The Brainwashing
  • My guess is that history will repeat itself over the shorter term (next few years anyway)-------as world wide oil demand increases with the economies improving (with the vaccines becoming available), and the existing 'glut' disappears, oil prices will then increase until supply catches up again. And if fracking is curtailed, the increases will happen a little quicker.

Same cycles that we have seen since the 1st oil shortage in the 70's. Down the road, as EV's become mainstream and ICE vehicles are phased out, new cycles will develop.
  • In the 70s during the embargo, they said the world would run out of oil in about 25 years. Now 40 yrs later with almost twice as many people we arent dependant on foreign oil.
    Granted cars used to get 15 to 20 mpg and we found ways to make them cleaner and more efficient.
    The US is big enough so we can trash some areas to get oil and gas from fracking and global warming isn't going to make us not have enough land. However, if we can find better ways of doing things and eventually make them cheaper and more available it is a win-win situation.
    150 years ago it would take months to cross the country on a horse drawn wagon. Now we can do it in 2 hours if we were to fly at supersonic speeds.
    Wouldn't be intetesting if 150 years from now we could make it to the moon or Mars in a few days and could power everything by using solar panels that were cheap to produce and lasted for decades.
  • > @mcmack15_98171493 said:
    > My guess is that history will repeat itself over the shorter term (next few years anyway)-------as world wide oil demand increases with the economies improving (with the vaccines becoming available), and the existing 'glut' disappears, oil prices will then increase until supply catches up again. And if fracking is curtailed, the increases will happen a little quicker.”

There’s already a glut, too many supplies and suppliers. Covid-19 will keep US economy depressed going into 2021. If we can get Green New Deal going early, that will reduce US oil consumption as it grows US economy. That alone will free up more oil for world market.

China and EU push on EV’s is gaining momentum so more downward pressure on oil demand.
  • Fishev, I don't know how old you are, but the same talk about reducing oil consumption has been going on since that 1st oil embargo in the early 70's, and all I am saying is that we are at least several years away from breaking the historical cycles. Any green new deal is going to take years to have a material impact on the worldwide price of oil.