Model 3

Model 3 Paint Quality

A common quality issue reported with Tesla vehicles is "paint quality", including "thin paint", "swirling paint", and other "imperfections".

My question is:
With the Model 3 in production since July 7, 2017 (40 months), has the paint quality improved to a better standard? *specifically curious for the Pearl White Multi-Coat

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Comments

• I have a pearl white from 8-2018 and the only issue was two specs of dirt under the clear coat on the front bumper. Tesla promptly repainted it after it brought it to their attention.
  • The internet is full of misinformation.
    Why do you believe the "information" you posted?
  • Opinions are too variable. What is perfectly fine to one person could bother someone else. Go to a delivery center and look at the cars on the lot and decide for yourself.
  • We own a 3 and a Y no paint issues at all.

You are worried over nothing as noted the internet is loaded with mostly the issues as ppl with good ext don't tend to post.

Also consider that Teslas are highly posted about so example Ford, Chevy, Dodge have issues too you just don't have many forums dedicated to them and they have been in biz for a very long time.

My pearl white is perfect end to end.
  • > @TESLUH said: > With the Model 3 in production since July 7, 2017 (40 months), has the paint quality improved to a better standard? *specifically curious for the Pearl White Multi-Coat."

Hard to know. Best bet is assume issues are still present. Do a full nose PPF and that's as much for the low profile. I've gotten more rock hits and curb scrapes than previous Subaru which sat higher.

You want to add mudflaps and also PPF the rocker covers as poor paint/protection quality there has been ongoing.

"Tesla Will Pay For Mudflaps In Canada: Generosity Or Strategy?"

https://insideevs.com/news/383414/tesla-mudflaps-for-free-canada/

I would get these "soft" mudflaps as the hard ones are not very secure, had one off and one loose before I replaced with these.

https://evmudflaps.com/?lang=en
  • He’s a turd. The paint is fine.
  • I have a 2019, Sept. The paint is flawless. The car I owned before my 3 was a Range Evoque and on the forums, paint was always an issue, especially on the UK forums. It always seems to be an issue.
  • My 8/2018 pearl white paint is still excellent. I clay bared the entire car when I got it home and had a detailed look at the entire paint surface. Only one minor defect near the left headlight hardly worth mentioning. It still looks great.
  • > @"Magic 8 Ball" said:
    > The internet is full of misinformation.
    > Why do you believe the "information" you posted?

Hi Magic 8 Ball. I am discussing (reports of "paint quality", including "thin paint", "swirling paint", and other "imperfections".) I can't be sure if it is information or misinformation but these postings come with some pretty gnarly photos of their paint. So I am wondering if the trend has been toward improved paint quality over the years? > @Scrannel said:
    > I have a 2019, Sept. The paint is flawless. The car I owned before my 3 was a Range Evoque and on the forums, paint was always an issue, especially on the UK forums. It always seems to be an issue.

> @Scrannel said:
    > I have a 2019, Sept. The paint is flawless. The car I owned before my 3 was a Range Evoque and on the forums, paint was always an issue, especially on the UK forums. It always seems to be an issue.

> @Scrannel said:

> @Scrannel said:

> @Scrannel said:

> @walnotr said:
    > My 8/2018 pearl white paint is still excellent. I clay bared the entire car when I got it home and had a detailed look at the entire paint surface. Only one minor defect near the left headlight hardly worth mentioning. It still looks great.
  • Thanks @Scrannel. It is good to hear that a Sept. 2019 has some flawless paint. @walnotr I will definitely give it some love when I pick it up in the next 1-3 weeks.
  • Fish says, “Best to assume issues are still present.”
    Umm no that’s not best. Take hokiegirl’s advice.

Plus, you’ve had several folks with this color already tell you no problems for them.
  • "Take hokiegirl’s advice." +100

I walked around looking at all the Teslas in the lot when I picked mine up. They all passed muster. Pretty much like any other new car lot I've wandered around.

(I know, it's a strange hobby but it's something that my son and I like to do together.)
  • My 6/2019 Metallic Silver is as good as any production car. As for Pearl White consider before you buy that it is a body shops nightmare. It is really hard to match.
  • > @TESLUH said:
    > Hi Magic 8 Ball. I am discussing (reports of "paint quality", including "thin paint", "swirling paint", and other "imperfections".) I can't be sure if it is information or misinformation but these postings come with some pretty gnarly photos of their paint. So I am wondering if the trend has been toward improved paint quality over the years?

Let's see if some sarcasm can get you to answer your own question. Let's assume my answer is that Tesla paint quality is steadily decreasing which is why their sales are steadily increasing. Does that make any sense to you? Why do you think people would buy cars with crappy paint?
  • Took delivery in the middle of September 2020 during the dreaded “end of the quarter” push when, as urban legend would have it, the Model 3 will be riddled with issues. I did not have that experience (especially with the paint) and I seriously doubt that you will either. Pearl White is a great color and you will enjoy having it.
  • I've done nothing other than spray down my Model 3 for the last 2+ years. No films or protective sealants. Decided to try a new easy-on ceramic sealant a few days ago and the car looks better than new. The paint is glossy beyond expectations.

My 7.5 year old Model S is often mistaken for new, so no complaints about paint on either of my cars. Weak paint is largely a myth because all paints are under a layer of clear coat.
    > > @TESLUH said:
    > > Hi Magic 8 Ball. I am discussing (reports of "paint quality", including "thin paint", "swirling paint", and other "imperfections".) I can't be sure if it is information or misinformation but these postings come with some pretty gnarly photos of their paint. So I am wondering if the trend has been toward improved paint quality over the years?
    >
    > Let's see if some sarcasm can get you to answer your own question. Let's assume my answer is that Tesla paint quality is steadily decreasing which is why their sales are steadily increasing. Does that make any sense to you? Why do you think people would buy cars with crappy paint?

No need to be mean/sarcastic man. It was a friendly question about trends in paint quality. Many brands with increasing sales can have trouble improving quality in areas. Chill.
  • I’m so glad to hear all of these positive experiences with Tesla paint! That definitely makes me feel better. Thanks all!
  • > @TESLUH said:
    > No need to be mean/sarcastic man. It was a friendly question about trends in paint quality. Many brands with increasing sales can have trouble improving quality in areas. Chill.

Sorry if you are offended but I find concern trolling offensive. It seems like you are trying hard to continue your narrative of FUD. Maybe you need to look at the cars first hand before trying to spread more garbage "information".
    > > @TESLUH said:
    > > No need to be mean/sarcastic man. It was a friendly question about trends in paint quality. Many brands with increasing sales can have trouble improving quality in areas. Chill.
    >
    > Sorry if you are offended but I find concern trolling offensive. It seems like you are trying hard to continue your narrative of FUD. Maybe you need to look at the cars first hand before trying to spread more garbage "information".
    >
    >

No worries. Sorry if I was continuing FUD. I was trying to get good information from current Tesla drivers which 12 other posters have politely helped me with. I’m feeling much better about not needing to drop $2k+ on full ppf and ceramic now. I’ll probably just do localized pff and a single layer ceramic.
  • > @TESLUH said:
    > No worries. Sorry if I was continuing FUD. I was trying to get good information from current Tesla drivers which 12 other posters have politely helped me with. I’m feeling much better about not needing to drop $2k+ on full ppf and ceramic now. I’ll probably just do localized pff and a single layer ceramic.

My original post went completely over your head. These forums have anonymous users and your willingness to accept whatever is posted here, or anywhere else, as being "good information" is a yuuuuuge problem. Many of us bought before anyone ever saw a Model 3 and now you and many others have the luxury of buying a car that is now in its third year of production with increasing sales. But if getting opinions from idiots on the internet makes you feel better then here is to your good feelings. I prefer truth over feels.
    > > @TESLUH said:
    > > No worries. Sorry if I was continuing FUD. I was trying to get good information from current Tesla drivers which 12 other posters have politely helped me with. I’m feeling much better about not needing to drop $2k+ on full ppf and ceramic now. I’ll probably just do localized pff and a single layer ceramic.
    >
    > My original post went completely over your head. These forums have anonymous users and your willingness to accept whatever is posted here, or anywhere else, as being "good information" is a yuuuuuge problem. Many of us bought before anyone ever saw a Model 3 and now you and many others have the luxury of buying a car that is now in its third year of production with increasing sales. But if getting opinions from idiots on the internet makes you feel better then here is to your good feelings. I prefer truth over feels.
    >
    >

You had me going for a second, I’ll give you that. I thought I was in the twilight zone, getting judged for discussing things on a discussion forum.

But then I searched your name on the forums and it appears you are an age-old troll on here with nothing better to do.

@"Magic 8 Ball" officially ignored for being irrelevant.
  • So being judged for what you say is a foreign concept you? Seems hypocritical since you are quick to judge me and then execute me with a label. Welcome to the forum. I look forward to your engagements with howard and fish.