General

locked out of my model Y

I wasn't expecting any excitement when charging at a public garage:
I saw on my phone the charging was complete. I walked back to the garage (with my phone and key in my wallet) and tried to unplug: could not! I then went to open the drivers door and could not. I went to my Tesla app on my phone and saw that phone key was disconnected. Following instructions on the app, I went to settings, turned bluetooth off, then on, with no success. I then took the key card out of my wallet(which I have NEVER used, because my phone always opens the car) and pressed it to the doorpost over and over again: NOTHING. I then turned my phone completely off to reboot it. Turned it on, still no bluetooth.

I walked home, got my wife's phone and returned to the car and all was fine with her phone. BUT, what if I were 1000 miles from her phone in a snow storm, locked out. What is the SOLUTION?

Q #2: I suppose my key card NEVER worked because it is always with me in my wallet and my phone has always unlocked the car. How do I set that up to work?

Comments

• Page 6 of the owners manual goes into the Key Cards but I don't see how to program a key card that was not initially setup. When I got mine, only one card worked and Tesla programmed the other one.

I carry key cards in wallet and on key/card "chain" from TapTes.com.

https://www.taptes.com/collections/tesla-model-3-interior-accessories/products/silicone-key-card-holder-for-tesla-model-3?_pos=3&_sid=e9ae9ad3d&_ss=r
  • "but I don't see how to program a key card"

Perhaps if you owned a Tesla you'd know how to do that.
  • In the meantime, go to page 11 of the manual to figure out how to add a key card.
  • When we picked up the car the tesla gal said our key cards were set up, but I don't think we ever used them because our phones are always with us. I will go thru the manual and set up the cards. But no one has ever had a bluetooth fail such as this?
  • @jjk1235_98729490

Your cards should have been set up for you at or prior to delivery. You shouldn't have to do anything unless they were not set up.

Just check to see if they unlock the car first.
  • The key card is needed to set up the phone key, so it had to have been used at least once before.
  • > @TabascoGuy said: > Your cards should have been set up for you at or prior to delivery.

They only set one up for me.

> @TabascoGuy said: > In the meantime, go to page 11 of the manual to figure out how to add a key card."

I couldn't find where it say there how to program a card key if it is not working. Tesla had to do it for my my non-working card.
  • It's highly doubtful that they would cover how to program a non-working key card in the manual.

You could always start here (from the manual):

"If you have any questions or concerns about your Model 3, call 1-877-79TESLA (1-877‑798-3752)."

If that doesn't work, visit a service center or make a service appointment using the app.