Model 3

Let us be thankful for the Tesla Supercharger network

Seems no other brand can reliably road trip with the mishmash of cobbled together, unreliable networks.

9 hours to go 130 miles just wouldn’t work for me. I like to do at least 1000 miles a day. This travesty hasn’t happened to me in nearly 8 years.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/nov/28/electric-cars-porsche-charging-network

Comments

• Oh my gosh, that’s insane. Another massive edge Tesla has over other ev makers.
  • I saw that in my feed this morning, I loved the statement "they were met with eight shiny Tesla chargers but discovered they were out of bounds because they are only available to the brand’s owners."
  • I remember the moment I realized a Tesla was in my future. Driving from the RGV north to the PNW, the supercharger at Three Rivers, TX made me realize how easy it would be to travel across country. We must have looked strange in our Prius stopping at every supercharger along the route to get a feel for what the trip would be like in the Model 3. We were convinced without ever sitting on one. We have been coast to coast using the only the supercharger network. Never once have I wished for a ccs or chademo adapter.
  • "Harry's Garage", a YouTube channel, once featured Harry testing out the latest E-Tron -- which he liked. But the fun part was the end with him driving around London trying to find a charger that worked. (Later he tested a Model 3 Performance and remarked how stupidly simple Tesla had made the vehicle charging experience.)

Look, the British have a legacy to uphold, passed down from the 19th Century, called "Lucas Electrics -- the prince of darkness." A legacy they seem to be upholding, proudly.
  • In the EU Tesla uses the CCS2 connector not the Tesla connector but the Superchargers there supposedly work just fine. Even though CCS looks like a God awful kludge compared to the Tesla connector it's not the real problem with third party chargers. The third party chargers seems to have terrible problems with billing and they don't seem to maintain their chargers well. CCS has added a plug and play feature and EA is in the process of rolling it out. If you have a car that supports it then eventually EA might become as reliable as Tesla. If I was shopping for a car today I wouldn't consider anything but a Tesla but in two or three years I suspect that CCS cars will be just fine for road trips.
  • Musk is brilliant. He thought through the entire EV ecosystem and implemented that. Something to think about when considering a non-Tesla option.
  • > @bjrosen said:
    > In the EU Tesla uses the CCS2 connector not the Tesla connector but the Superchargers there supposedly work just fine. Even though CCS looks like a God awful kludge compared to the Tesla connector it's not the real problem with third party chargers. The third party chargers seems to have terrible problems with billing and they don't seem to maintain their chargers well. CCS has added a plug and play feature and EA is in the process of rolling it out. If you have a car that supports it then eventually EA might become as reliable as Tesla. If I was shopping for a car today I wouldn't consider anything but a Tesla but in two or three years I suspect that CCS cars will be just fine for road trips.

In 2-3 years Tesla will be light year ahead of anyone including fatser chargers and bigger range.
  • @TeslaTap.com 100% correct
  • I see FISH is oddly quiet in this thread
  • Don't jinx it.
  • > @"TeslaTap.com" said:
    > I'm afraid 3 years will be far worse for CCS in the USA. You'll have many more CCS EVs clogging the limited working CCS stalls. Many CCS cars will be slow charging, further clogging the CCS stalls. In 3 years' time, EA will have long run out of the free dieselgate money and will likely be bankrupt and/or charging 3 times the amount of Tesla.

Yup. And I don't see how in some EA and EvGo locations they can easily add more chargers at current sites. Super Chargers are so much more elegant and easy to use.

I am looking forward, though, to seeing how the Plug 'n' Charge standard--recently turned on with EA--operates with the Mach-E.
  • Presumably someone's got to supply all the other brands as we head toward total electric.
  • I expect EvGo to have more success. They offer Tesla connections at some locations, realizing that most EVs today are Teslas. Hopefully, they will roll it out to more locations.
  • Has EVgo installed any Tesla connectors aside from the couple in San Fransisco which were nothing more than a CHADeMO to Tesla adapter duct taped to the side of their charger. GM put money into EVgo, I'd bet that as a condition of that investment EVgo has killed their Tesla connector plans.
  • > @"TeslaTap.com" said:
    > I'm afraid 3 years will be far worse for CCS in the USA. You'll have many more CCS EVs clogging the limited working CCS stalls. Many CCS cars will be slow charging, further clogging the CCS stalls. In 3 years' time, EA will have long run out of the free dieselgate money and will likely be bankrupt and/or charging 3 times the amount of Tesla.

I think EA will be keeping ahead of the demand for quite awhile. The number CCS cars that can be built is constrained by battery supply. GM is building a 30GWh battery factory, that's less than the current Gigafactory, Ford is just coming around to the idea that they might have to build their own battery factory. Meanwhile Tesla is building Terafactories in Berlin and Austin, each with 10 time the capacity of the current Gigafactory. VW has to prioritize the European market because they are battery constrained. You already see that with the Koreans, they limit their sales to California, supposedly you can buy a Kona or a Niro outside of California but I've never seen one in MA even though we are a CARB state. It's not lack of demand, the MachE, ID.4 and Rivian are completely sold out for next year and they all sold out in minutes, it's because they can't make any more because they don't have the batteries.
  • Very thankful Tesla spent their own money to build chargers for us to use at a price that is nearly equivalent with home electricity rates, while still remaining substantially cheaper than the price of gas.

Thank you Tesla.
  • > @kneught said:
    > I see FISH is oddly quiet in this thread

That's because somehow he decided is makes sense to Flag for abuse a thread relevant to Tesla and the Model 3 yet. This forum is rife with Irony.
  • When we were shopping for a new car 6 years BEV's and Tesla were nowhere on our radar. We had an Audi A6 out for a full day test drive and happen to stop by a mall and wandered into the Tesla gallery. An hour later, test drive and explanation of Superchargers and the rest is history. Superchargers were key to the decision.
  • Ya, here too, we would not have ordered our Model S back in Jan 2014 if it wasn’t for the fact that Elon spoke about their plans to build out the supercharger network. At that time it was in its infancy. In Jan 2014 there were just 3 superchargers here in New England. Now there are 14 just here in CT.