Model 3

Model 3 touchscreen goes Poof

Display/touchscreen of my 8 month old model 3 with 1300 miles went poof yesterday. Went out, came back home and in front of my garage for the door to open and the touchscreen went blank. Tried rebooting/restarting by pressing the scroll wheels for several minutes both with brake pedal pressed and without several times and no luck. display wont come back. my mobile app can't connect to my car as well. Its really scary to drive without side mirrors (my side mirrors close automaticcally near my house and I cant open them without touchscreen) and display. It's also a safety issue. the earliest available slot at plat SC is 12/17. Did anyone experience a similar issue? Does Tesla SC accept a walk-in? I have been a happy customer with my 2020 model x. but this really is bothersome as $55K car is not usable for 2 weeks.

Comments

• The reliability of the touchscreen in a $55k car is the same as that of a $20k car. They don’t really correlate. You correctly did the right thing by contacting the SC. Nothing more to do.
  • Sorry to hear about your issue. Let us know what happened when they fix it.
  • Also side note no electronics are bulletproof. Shit happens no matter how expensive or new your device is.
  • I'd try calling back tomorrow and asking for mobile service to come sooner than December 17th. Mirrors are a safety concern.
    And yes, if a service center is not too far and you have the time, show up shortly after they open. Worst they can do is say no. Bet they help you out.
  • thanks folks. my $20k car is not solely dependent on touchscreen to safely operate. I can still use that car without the touchscreen. when you spend $55K, $115K for a car, you would expect it to be usable. don't know why you are so defensive. I am a happy customer and shareholder and would like tesla to do well. what I am not OK with is having to wait 18 days for a service center availability. I would call them tomorrow and see what they say.
  • If you can't connect via app, the problem is more than just a "touchscreen". Might be a deeper electronics problem. In either case, it will require service. Definitely call or visit the SC and ask for help.

You can set your mirrors to not auto-fold at home.

Were there any other symptoms before it went poof? Might be helpful for everyone if OP remembers anything.
  • The mirrors fold out when you start to drive, you don’t have to prompt them to open.
  • Also the brake pedal has no influence on a 2 button reboot.
  • > @gcvarma_98263854 said:
    > thanks folks. my $20k car is not solely dependent on touchscreen to safely operate. I can still use that car without the touchscreen. when you spend $55K, $115K for a car, you would expect it to be usable. don't know why you are so defensive. I am a happy customer and shareholder and would like tesla to do well. what I am not OK with is having to wait 18 days for a service center availability. I would call them tomorrow and see what they say.

I don't see anyone being defensive, just stating fact, sh1t happens. You need to take the car to a SC immediately and see what they say. I'd bet that they would fix it right away for you. Good luck
  • @gcvarma_98263854, Often the SC will access the safety need of the failure and schedule it in sooner after the fact as long as they have the parts are can get the parts quickly.

If they don't have or can't get the parts sooner than what you are already scheduled, it isn't going to do any good to get you in sooner.
  • > @gcvarma_98263854 said:
    Does Tesla SC accept a walk-in?

I have not read about anyone getting turned away yet.