Energy Products

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Powerwall power control for grid output reduction and dynamic charging while low energy prices

Hello Together.

So far my experiences with the powerwall are limited to integrating a stepless electronic water heater and a smart socket to charge a PHEV at my friends house with a Node-red script reading the Gateway.

This year i decided to build my first 9,9 kWp Solar System but based on a LG ESS which has a 3 Phase Backup power and is Black Start able. In retrospect this was a bad decision. The Backup power ist weak and the battery has significantly fewer capacity as promised and paid. Meanwhile i arranged that LG will take my system back so i can upgrade to another system.

My installer in the past has installed mosty Tesla Powerwalls, so i would like to take one too. It has other problems. To recharge my solar system in backup i would need a Singe phase inverter. Typically in europe for 10kw you will have only 3-phase inverters to keep the unbalanced charge within bounds. 2x5kW are to strong too.

My biggest problem that i am facing is that i'm searching for an option to control the charge/discharge power of the powerwall. In Germany in small solar sites you have to limit your grid output to 70% of the maximum installed PV Module capacity (or allow your energy provider to remotly shutting it down) . Instead of limiting the inverters to 70% (static limitation) i would like to reserve capacity of the powerwall for the peak time and then dynamically charge the battery while the peak occurs, so i don't need to waste energy. Otherwise in the winter when the PV is generating to few Energy for the house alone, I would like to dynamically charge the Powerwall and/or Car. The typical reaction of the powerwall to discharge and then charge the car would be contraproductive then.

So how can i control the Powerwall output/input power?

Best wishes,
Markus

Comments

• That reads like a good question for a second or third-tier Tesla Customer Support person. We're all customers, just like you.
  • > @gregbrew_98470014 said:
    > That reads like a good question for a second or third-tier Tesla Customer Support person. We're all customers, just like you.

Ah, ok, that is inconvenient.
    But how do i get their attention? In germany their mail Adresses are quite reduced. I Tried [email protected] that they might forward me to the right person, but not one reaction.
  • These phone numbers have been used with success in the states:

1-877-961-7652 (Found to work as of 10/30/20)
    1-877-798-3752
    1-888-765-2489

I don't know if you can dial in from Europe.