Model 3

High Mileage

I’m considering purchasing a Tesla. I do 30,000 miles per year and the bumper to bumper warranty (40,000) will expire in a year and four months for me. Should I be concerned since they don’t offer an extended warranty?

Comments

• You could set aside the money you saved not paying for 30k miles worth of gas and ICE maintenance and save it for a rainy day fund. How much would that be?
  • Id say no. I just turned 100,000 miles today in my 26 month old Model 3. The only thing that was done to it in the service center besides a windshield was a recall on the charging plug, and that was well after my warranty was up. So far tires and window washer fluid has been my cost in upkeep.
  • The warranty is 50k not 40. I have over 80k on my late '18 3 and the only service has been one autopilot camera under warranty.
  • So true (bugs) #teamwhite

> @Lorenzryanc said:
    > These cars seem to be made for many miles. Be prepared for tires and bug remover and you'll be set.
  • After 50k warranty I have paid for the items below. I still love June, my model 3, but hate paying what I feel would be warranty fixes.

Front and back felt undercover
    Air vent adjuster
    Charger door

Not changed but probably will headrest due to wear marks

June has over 75k miles in 2 years. After warranty costs are about $1,000. The battery is still great and I plan to get 600,000 m8les on her before getting a new car. :)
  • June is one of the first made. 30,000 vin. That may play into my after warranty issues.
  • > @Scotteo said: > I’m considering purchasing a Tesla. I do 30,000 miles per year and the bumper to bumper warranty (40,000) will expire in a year and four months for me. Should I be concerned since they don’t offer an extended warranty?"

I drive 25,000 a year.

I'm going to try and sell at 24 months. Due to Covid-19 a bit less driving but will be about 45,000 come May 2021, the two years to keep $2.5k state rebate on Tesla and get another $2.5k on new EV.

I'd be concerned keeping the Tesla past the warranty period which is why I want to be able to offer 5k of warranty to buyer. All kinds of stuff that could happen with Tesla denying even legit warranty claims much less post warranty issues.

Another issue is service itself. I have deposit on Ford Mustang EV. 30% of Mach-E buyers are coming from Tesla with the service and communications issues being their main reason for upgrading to MachE.
  • Hahahaha! What an idiot.
  • Somewhat off topic.

When an owner sells their only Tesla, do they lose write access to the forums ?
  • @FISHEV, don't be "penny wise, pound foolish"! You have your eye on the $2.5k rebate, but it's too risky to hang on to the M3 till next May. Tesla might deny "legit warranty claims", leaving you with a huge repair bill and/or an unsellable car! To minimize risk, sell your M3 now, "upgrade" to the Ford Mache!
  • The powertrain warranty covers your for 8 years / 120,000 miles so you are mostly missing coverage on electrical components and those tend to have a "bath tub" failure pattern: They either fail early or very late in life. So, you should be fine. In general, you will come out ahead if you just invest the money you would have spent on an extended warranty for any product (car, tires etc.) and pay repairs/replacement out of pocket. Insurance companies _love_ extended warranties because they are incredibly lucrative. If you really must have one I am sure a 3rd party would be happy to sell you one.
  • I've been out of warranty for almost a year now. My expenses have been 2 replacement tires due to a puncture causing one to go bald -- so rather than being able to plug the one and keep rolling, we had to replace the 2 on the axel. My non-repaired items that I'm procrastinating on are a horn without a low note. We actually had this issue before (we attributed the original to when someone hit our front end and assumed it was damaged as part of that), so I could probably ask them to do it again, but it hasn't been a priority. Hubby keeps talking about using an aftermarket horn anyway. I'm trying to talk him out of using the General Lee's.
  • > @SpeedyEV said: You have your eye on the $2.5k rebate, but it's too risky to hang on to the M3 till next May."

Due to less travel, should be able to go until end of 2021 with some warranty left. That's due date of ID4 EV.

Leverage with warranty even if Tesla initially denies it but once out of warranty, I agree with you that Tesla is a gamble.
  • So cancelling your MachE res for an ID4 huh....interesting.
  • > @derotam said: > So cancelling your MachE res for an ID4 huh....interesting."

Actually I can't cancel the MachE as it has production date. Tried to change to the GT to get Cyber Orange but dealer said can't be changed. Of course they also said GT didn't come in Cyber Orange so I showed them it did so we'll see what happens.

I already told the Ford dealer I had to wait until May for delivery and they said they'd work something out. If car is a hot seller, they might not care.

VW ID4 Pro is not due until end of 2021. For the $6k in free charging and the $7k in price difference, I'd let the $500 go if it comes to it.

Nice to have choices. Seriously thinking of leasing for three years and then getting the Ford F-150E with 500w PV solar panels and battery.
  • Haha as predicted fish ditches the Mach e in favor of a car that isn’t due for another year. So that’s been a kona, then machE, now id4. I look forward to reading how he presents it to his Ford forum comrades. Fish have you picked out what car you’ll switch to after you cancel your id4 reservation?
  • > @FISHEV said:
    >
    > Actually I can't cancel the MachE as it has production date. Tried to change to the GT to get Cyber Orange but dealer said can't be changed. Of course they also said GT didn't come in Cyber Orange so I showed them it did so we'll see what happens.
    >
    @Fish - Funny story about Fords and paint colors.
    In the late 1950s my Father order a Ford Fairlane Skyliner. (Hard top - retractable)
    He want red. The dealer told him he could get red car with a white roof, or a white car with a read roof, but he could not get an all red car. Well my father wanted an all red car, but the dealer said it could not be done. Impossible. Will never happen.

My father was on the board of the national safety council, and asked one of the other members who was an executive at Ford, what the "deal" was with not be able to order a red on red car.

After getting the order number, the Ford exec made a couple of changes on the "traveling documents" for the car and low an behold it was red with a red top.

Needless to say the Ford dealer was not happy when my dad came to take delivery.
  • > @mrburke said: > Funny story about Fords and paint colors."

This isn't a case of Ford not offering it, they do and it would be bump up to a $60k sale for the dealership and they'd likely be able to easily sell the AWD Premium White Mach-E.

I should write a letter to Darren Palmer, head of Ford's EV programs. He said no one would have to commit until they drove one. Even if the contract clearly says once order transfers to dealer, deposit in not refundable, the dealer has total control and could refund if the chose. A twist on your Father's Ford Fairlane.
  • Don’t bother with your fake letter to Palmer. You’ve already canceled your fake reservation and placed a fake deposit on your fake VW ID4. Hopefully you’ll still have some warranty left on your fake model 3 when it comes time to sell it.
  • > @Spuzzz said:
    > Don’t bother with your fake letter to Palmer. You’ve already canceled your fake reservation and placed a fake deposit on your fake VW ID4. Hopefully you’ll still have some warranty left on your fake model 3 when it comes time to sell it.”

Actually still have both reservations for Mustang EV and VW ID4.

The Mustang is $500 but we’ll see what the dealer does in the end if I go the ID4 route which looks like the Best Buy due lower initial price of $6k and $6k free charging. $500 vs. $12k....hmmm...what to do.

Should drive the Mustang EV next week.