Model 3

Model 3 Performance bad range

My M3P consumption is currently on average 290wh/km (464wh/mile) which grants me around 230 km of range (145 mile). I could live with having somewhere around 400 km but this just feels too much below the promised numbers.

The current temperature in my city is around 0-5*C and I’m currently running on 19 inch alloys and Nokian Tyres. I seldom put the fan speed over 1 and temperature is always put at around 21-22*C. The consumption wasn’t much better (around 290wh/km) in the summer time when running on 20 inch alloys and then I mostly had the AC off.

I can also easily lose around 20-25km (13-16miles) when the car is stationary just a couple of hours. That is with a outside temperature of around 0*C.

Is this experienced by someone else and may the heat pump possible be the solution to this?

Comments

• Your math doesn’t add up. Recalibrate your batteries meter by following the directions in this video.

https://youtu.be/MrwmNKtnh84

Your stationary loss is likely due to sentry plus the cold climate which also keeps the camera heaters running.
  • Rated range is measured by charging the car to 100% and driving to depletion in a single trip while simulating a combination of highway and city driving. Your description of short trips, cold weather, larger tires, and idle time all lead to poor efficiency.

Also, just search the forum for more information. This topic is posted at least once per week.
  • Get some good comparison numbers with TeslaFI.com and StatsApp for Tesla. They'll give you your rated and projected range, your phantom drain and different energy uses on different drives.

https://imgur.com/p9RiZFp

https://imgur.com/y9IFMFm

And don't forget Tesla's own Projected Range which gives you a good idea of range based on actual driving conditions vs. Rated Range which does not.

https://imgur.com/pQtrPlL
  • > @HAL2001 said:
    > Your math doesn’t add up. Recalibrate your batteries meter by following the directions in this video.
    >
    > https://youtu.be/MrwmNKtnh84
    >
    > Your stationary loss is likely due to sentry plus the cold climate which also keeps the camera heaters running.
    Just watched the video and I don’t really know what you are asserting and how the video had anything to do with my calculations.

I estimated 70 000Wh battery at 100% and divided it by my consumption per kilometer
  • > @"stingray.don_98527447" said:
    > Rated range is measured by charging the car to 100% and driving to depletion in a single trip while simulating a combination of highway and city driving. Your description of short trips, cold weather, larger tires, and idle time all lead to poor efficiency.
    >
    > Also, just search the forum for more information. This topic is posted at least once per week.

I mentioned nothing about short trips, on the contrary, most of my trips are longer commutes.

Also I mentioned a high consumption even in the summer. Yes, I do use the bigger alloys then but you would think that Tesla took that into consideration hence giving the performance around 30 km less WLTP range than the LR
  • If you hard no go pedal it will it your range for breakfast.
  • You mentioned energy usage while parked. Thus, you are combining trips to determine range and efficiency. This is not how range is measured. What is your efficiency on a single long trip?
    > You mentioned energy usage while parked. Thus, you are combining trips to determine range and efficiency. This is not how range is measured. What is your efficiency on a single long trip?
    Maybe I was slightly vague in my description. 290wh/km is the value displayed in the monitor on a trip, hence that is the efficiency.

I didn’t take the range loss when stationary into consideration in my calculations. I just mentioned that I lose a lot of range when the car is parked.
  • Turn of sentry mode, cabin heat protection and summon stand by.
  • Ah, sorry I made the assumption. Is your reported efficiency based on a long trip? Like driving 100% to 10%? Short trips are not very efficient particularly in the cold. The thermal management system is using a lot of energy at the start of a trip. Based on what I have seen, it takes 30 miles or so before optimal efficiency is reached. Perhaps just look at the efficiency at the end of the trip.
  • Your average consumption is really too high... one could expect such high number only in very bad weather driving aggressively and fast.
  • "My M3P consumption is currently on average 290wh/m" (U.S. miles not km)

For 20" Wheels this is about accurate. I found some 18" wheels that fit around the RED calipers & my consumption decreased by 20wh/m to 30wh/m depending on how hard I drive it.
  • Mine is ~330 wh/m on 20" in south FL with everything off, so your numbers sound about right.
  • Biggest factor: how fast do you drive?
    > Ah, sorry I made the assumption. Is your reported efficiency based on a long trip? Like driving 100% to 10%? Short trips are not very efficient particularly in the cold. The thermal management system is using a lot of energy at the start of a trip. Based on what I have seen, it takes 30 miles or so before optimal efficiency is reached. Perhaps just look at the efficiency at the end of the trip.

Every monday I go on a 235 km (147 miles) and I never manage to make it in one 95% charge without charging again. My speed is around 120-130km/h (75-80mph) on autopilot.
  • 464 wh/mile is terrible. This is roughly half the efficiency of a model 3 (under ideal conditions). So you are only getting an mpge of about 65....still not bad!
  • 75-80 mph with 19” tires will not get rated efficiency. I typically get rated efficiency around 65 mph during warm weather with 18” aero wheels. Might also want to check tire pressure.
  • > @"stingray.don_98527447" said: > 75-80 mph with 19” tires will not get rated efficiency."

Interesting that Porsche Taycan got 135% efficiency driven 100% at 70 mph, 270 mile range vs. 201 rated.

https://youtu.be/MpHju6NtN44?t=3
  • From what I’ve seen over 2.5 years with our LR AWD is at over 60 mph (96 km/hr) Wh/mi exponentially increases about every 10mph (16 km/hr).

End of Last summer I did a trip where I was running ~80 mph (129 km/hr) over an hour, I was at 409 Wh/mi. So 40% decrease in range.