Model 3

2021 Model 3 LR cabin heater issue

I posted here a few days ago. Took delivery on my 2021 M3 LR on Friday, heater stopped working on the way home from dealer. Is now in for service. I have now heard of three other 2021 M3 LR with the exact same issue in the group of deliveries now happening in Norway. This seems to indicate some sort of larger issue with how these are being manufactured. If you took delivery on these, I’d keep an eye out for this.

Comments

• I had the same problem with my 2021 M3 LR. Took delivery on friday and heater stopped working on monday. Due to an arctic storm with cold degrees and snow the car got so cold the windows got filled with dew creating a dangerous situation. My daughter who drove the car had to stop and call tesla service and they had to tow it to tesla.
  • Are these the refresh version with the heat pump? I was talking with a service tech about the updates in the refresh M3, and he said initially they had some issues with the heat pumps in the Y.

I wonder if that has carried over to the new 3s.
  • > @gmr6415 said:
    > Are these the refresh version with the heat pump? I was talking with a service tech about the updates in the refresh M3, and he said initially they had some issues with the heat pumps in the Y.
    >
    > I wonder if that has carried over to the new 3s.

Yeah it's the refresh version.
  • > @"Øyvind_1" said:
    > I had the same problem with my 2021 M3 LR. Took delivery on friday and heater stopped working on monday. Due to an arctic storm with cold degrees and snow the car got so cold the windows got filled with dew creating a dangerous situation. My daughter who drove the car had to stop and call tesla service and they had to tow it to tesla.

Yeah same issue, also in Norway! I should also mention that when i got the car home i popped the frunk and the people at the service centre hadn't closed the cap for the washer fluid so that had also spilled all inside the compartment. Not a great experience so far i must say!
  • Same issue also in Austria! Had my new 2021 M3 LR for 3 days when suddenly cold air started to blow. Sometimes, when you start the car the heat works for couple of minutes and then you hear the compressor going off.
    SC mentioned today about an S/W update or proposed a SC appointment in 10 days. Well, its cold here but maybe not that arctic as in Norway, but still unacceptable to drive w/o heating these days!
  • > @3CPUKA said:
    > Same issue also in Austria! Had my new 2021 M3 LR for 3 days when suddenly cold air started to blow. Sometimes, when you start the car the heat works for couple of minutes and then you hear the compressor going off.
    > SC mentioned today about an S/W update or proposed a SC appointment in 10 days. Well, its cold here but maybe not that arctic as in Norway, but still unacceptable to drive w/o heating these days!
    >

Sorry you’re having the same issue! It’s really bad that the SCs are refusing to take people as drop ins for such a major issue. It’s not safe to drive a car in winter that you cannot defrost. Hope it works out for you soon!
  • Same issue here in Switzerland. New 2021 M3 LR 1 week old. During a 2hours drive back home, the heating stopped, only freezing air coming from the vents. Today Tesla Service came back to me with the message that 2 sensors have to be replaced. Looks like they should do a recall action on the new model 3.
  • Same issue for a friend of mine. Bad sensor and since there are so many, they are backordered
  • I was supposed to collect my Model 3 today. We were checking everything and discovered the heating wasn’t working. They couldn’t fix it while we were there, so had to refuse the car.
    Waiting to hear from Tesla when they will fix it or get another car to me.
    Clearly they are too busy trying to hit sales targets and not carrying out PDI’s correctly!
  • I picked up my model 3 refresh standard in NY state. December 21. The heater quit 3 days later. 24 F here. Tesla had me power cycle the car, heat started working again, and service is going to replace the AC pump and manifold. So this is happening in the US as well.
    -stampee
  • Mine was a UK car 2021 MY.
    The Tesla technician tried a hard reset, physically disconnected all power and tried with diagnostics but couldn’t fix it. Still waiting to hear from them with a solution.
    Not exactly what you want when you travel 150 miles to collect a £47k car!