Model 3

Chinese cars are junk. Is MIC Tesla junk?

Can Made in China M3 and MY be as good as the original (Fremont USA) , better or worse.

I see Europe got its first load of MIC M3.
Is anyone taking a look to compare with the US version?

Will they last long?

Australians, NZ, Asia, may get MICs. Is that a bad thing?
Well MG, Great Wall, etc are bottom of the heap, but then I remember the first Mazdas about 1965, Japan never looked back.

Do / Would I want a MIC MY? At a price.Short answer.

Comments

• Here is a quote, it must be true lol,

The new focus on China, where it sells 10 per cent of its vehicles, will see Mini move ahead with its plans to produce vehicles in China in collaboration with Great Wall Motors. The China-made vehicles will be produced from 2023, although no clear timeline was outlined for the launch of the two new electric models.Oct 29, 2020
  • To be fair to China, I just took delivery on my Fremont-made M3 LR and the heater broke within 30 mins of owning it so....
  • So there are two ways any item can be crap... It can be designed that way....or it can be assembled that way. If you are trying to say that things made in China are crap because of the Chinese people that are putting them together, then you are more likely just racist.

The car was still engineered in Fremont, and parts are sourced/designed/made by direction of Fremont, so there for the most part shouldn't be any issue with a MIC Tesla and if there is, it is Fremont's fault.
  • The MIC Tesla's are supposedly much better than the Fremont Tesla's. Tesla ranks dead last in quality in the US and they are number one in quality in China.
  • > @bjrosen said:
    > The MIC Tesla's are supposedly much better than the Fremont Tesla's. Tesla ranks dead last in quality in the US and they are number one in quality in China.

I think that just shows the overall quality for Chinese manufactured cars must be pretty poor or we as 'western' consumers simply demand much more than your average Chinese consumer?
  • I prefer my car being made in USA. It’s okay if the raw materials come from elsewhere.
  • why exactly?
  • Tesla MIC using same assembly line. They also face competition from other Chinese electric cars. Quality got be good, otherwise Tesla lose not only the investment,also the big market. A lot of MIC stuff are of high quality now days
  • > @X8IB said:
    > Tesla MIC using same assembly line. They also face competition from other Chinese electric cars. Quality got be good, otherwise Tesla lose not only the investment,also the big market. A lot of MIC stuff are of high quality now days

Agreed, a lot is of much higher quality but there is still that stigma hanging on from the 'old days'. I guess it's the same (but opposite) thinking as to 'all that comes from Germany is great quality). Having had German cars I know they also suffer quality issues whereas some MIC cars are good quality. I think China needs to work on losing the stigma and they can do this through continuous improvement.
  • Ross1, you should get out more!

The computer you type on and the phone in your pocket are likely MIC. Quality comes from great design and attention to detail in the manufacturing process. It's clear (from Elon's comments on battery day) that Tesla understands the importance and strategic advantage that manufacturing gives them. That's why they control the entire process.

I have been in many, many factories around the world and I can tell you with certainty that many of the best are in China. Poor quality products are usually due to bad design and lack of management talent leading to lousy execution (not the workers).
  • Also, what affects quality is the price point that the said product is to be sold at. So if a U.S. company wants sell their product dirt cheap, they will contract with a company in China to make it dirt cheap. Chinese companies will make the product to the cost standard that the requesting company wants.
  • > @Twochewy said:
    > Ross1, you should get out more!
    >
    > The computer you type on and the phone in your pocket are likely MIC. Quality comes from great design and attention to detail in the manufacturing process. It's clear (from Elon's comments on battery day) that Tesla understands the importance and strategic advantage that manufacturing gives them. That's why they control the entire process.
    >
    > I have been in many, many factories around the world and I can tell you with certainty that many of the best are in China. Poor quality products are usually due to bad design and lack of management talent leading to lousy execution (not the workers).

100% agree with TC. The Shanghai area is a manufacturing powerhouse. The supply base there is vast.