Model S

Key fob locked in car

Hello, seems I am in a bit of a conundrum, the key fob is locked inside of my Uncle's 2014 Model S and the doors will not open when depressed. We also attempted to go in through the trunk, but to no avail.

Here is the sticky part, my Uncle is currently in China with his wife and won't be back to the states until the pandemic is over. They are staying in the countryside with little to no access to the internet or cell service so the Tesla app is out.

So, does anyone know how to break into a Tesla?

The corner window on the front door doesn't look too expensive...

Comments

  • You should not have to break anything.

    Search this forum, there are ways like downloading the Tesla app to another phone.

    Also roadside assistance.

    Even rural areas in china have a surprising amount of cell coverage. Been there many times and had no problem talking to my car stateside.
  • Why do you need to break into your uncle's car? Just leave it be.
  • Do you have a spare key fob?
  • Use the Tesla app to get in.
  • Tesla can unlock it as well if properly credentialed.
  • Even if you don’t have access to your uncle’s Tesla account, he can unlock the car from anywhere using his mobile app.
  • Poor cellular service seems to be a problem that Tesla forgets about.
  • Not the issue here, but there are several places that we take the S that have no cell service. One lost or damaged key and we are in trouble. Tesla really needs to implement a direct Bluetooth connection to the car.

    The hardware is already in the car and the phone, it is just a matter of software.
  • If the remote is in the vehicle and the door handles won't present when pushed the remote battery is probably dead. Have your uncle unlock it with the phone app from wherever he is. When you plan on getting in to it take an extra 3025 watch battery to replace the one in the remote.
  • @xsleep
    3 strikes.
    Push to open ceases to work during deep sleep, typically after 24 hours and the battery is a 2032. The uncle doesn’t have good access, which is the problem.
  • > @Bighorn said:
    > @xsleep
    > 3 strikes.
    > Push to open ceases to work during deep sleep, typically after 24 hours and the battery is a 2032. The uncle doesn’t have good access, which is the problem.

    Or maybe the OP is just trying to break into his uncle’s car. 🙂

    Seriously, the key fob just happened to be left in the car, and the uncle coincidentally has no cellular service or internet access? I’m having a hard time believing any of this.
  • Sounds like the front end of this story is, nephew took Uncle's car some place without Uncle's knowledge, and nephew does not know enough about car not to leave fob inside. Now, he's stuck with car - not a Uncle's home and trying to get in to take it back. And we are helping how to restore the car so nephew doesn't get in trouble. For all we know, nephew might be 14 years old.
  • Yep, plus having been to china many times, they are well ahead of USA cell coverage wise, even in remote villages.
  • Bueller?
  • > @Aerodyne said:
    > Yep, plus having been to china many times, they are well ahead of USA cell coverage wise, even in remote villages.
    But they still don't have potable water, even in sparkling Shanghai.
  • Or Colorado if you're in a fracking zone.

    #flamingfaucets
  • Indeed, as unlucky as it may be, these were the circumstances EVRider.

    I had thought I posted the fix earlier, but apparently I didn't hit the post button or something to that effect.

    I offered my two teenage boys $5.00 if they could figure something out without harming the vehicle. About 25 seconds of fiddling with a welding rod and the key fob was in my hands again.

    Smart kids, hopefully they only use their newfound skills for good.
  • so what did they do?
  • > @akikiki said:
    > Sounds like the front end of this story is, nephew took Uncle's car some place without Uncle's knowledge, and nephew does not know enough about car not to leave fob inside. Now, he's stuck with car - not a Uncle's home and trying to get in to take it back. And we are helping how to restore the car so nephew doesn't get in trouble. For all we know, nephew might be 14 years old.

    Sounds like how I learned to drive a car and tractor in the same day. Got the car stuck and needed to get it back before my parents got back to the ranch.
Sign In or Register to comment.