Model 3

Tesla Accessories from Tesla Store

Discussing / Review / Issues with Accessories from the Tesla Store

Comments

• Any specific product you wanted to talk about? I have quite a few products bought and am happy with them all.
  • Since the Tesla Store does not support reviews, I'd like to use this forum to do so. To start off, I'd like to discuss the Tire Repair Kit: https://shop.tesla.com/product/tire-repair-kit.

I got one two years ago for my peace of mind, since there is no spare tire in case of a road hazard. My first one was a dud. The compressor won't stay on with that one. Tesla service was great and got me a replacement right away. I briefly tested it out by plugging it in and turn it on. It worked... so I thought, and promptly threw it in the trunk for the day when I need it.

Two years went by, and then I ran over a screw on the highway and woke up the next morning with a flat.

Not a problem. I have the working tire-repair-kit in the trunk. I took it out, connected the transparent tube, flip the selector to sealant, and turned on the switch and... nothing. Nothing happened. I switched the selector back to the air-pomp mode, and it turned on. I repeated that a few times and the results are always the same.

I finally gave up on the sealant, and decided to try to inflate the tire and see if I could have it stay inflated long enough for a short drive down to a local repair shop. It did pomp air, but then gave up at around 30 PSI. No where near enough to for the tire to be safely used for the short journey.

It seems like this item had a QA issue. At least when it was first made available two years ago. I reached out to Tesla via email regarding this but has yet to hear back.

Does anyone has any similar experience? This is an item that I think should just work and it failed on me twice. I thought I'd share my experience here. Both as an attempt to reach out to customer service for resolution, as well as a warning to those who has this item sitting in your trunk to make sure you test it out so that it does not fail on you in the moment of need.
  • This is more about basic knowledge and plenty of threads have dealt worth the futility of carrying sealant. This forum is not designed for this review function.
    Buy a compressor and a plug kit has been a monotonous mantra that I’ve shared for years. Sealant is a bad idea in most circumstances and doesn’t even work with silencing foam. Didn’t bother to read the lengthy critique, so forgive any oversights.
  • Hummm. I bought one of these kits as well almost two years ago.
    I'm going to test the air pump tomorrow.
    High hopes your experience was an outlier, expecting disappointment now. I also have one of those cheap plug kits in the trunk. Still need the air pump for those too.
  • I have one too. Air pump works fine. No idea about sealant. Won't ever use now as I have purchased a modernspare tire which I keep in the trunk on longer distance (>100 miles) drives.
  • If you put a tire in trunk, would you change tire yourself or call Tesla roadside support.
  • Plenty of places I’d just want to add air rather than try to change a tire.
  • > @Calidude said:
    > If you put a tire in trunk, would you change tire yourself or call Tesla roadside support.

I'd do it, its simple. And of course, I would only change tire if the old tire was a no hoper. Air first, tire change second!
  • > @Bighorn said:
    > Plenty of places I’d just want to add air rather than try to change a tire.

I was talking about sealant...wont use that but of course will use air pump part...
  • 👍🏻
  • I purchased the shade for the glass above driver & passenger. High quality materials and looks great.
  • > @sheldon_mike said:
    > I purchased the shade for the glass above driver & passenger. High quality materials and looks great.

I got that. Its great quality and clips in so easily. I also got the one for the rear window, same great quality.
  • I finally remembered to test my Tire Repair Kit after reading this post.
    The pump works, did not test the sealant.
    Dropped the pressure to 30psi and filled with the kit pump. As the indicated pressure reached 45psi, the gain rate on the pressure dropped to like nothing and I ended the test as success. Checked pressure with digital gauge and it was 42 psi.
    I also keep a cheap tire plug kit in the trunk. I'd rather plug than goop it.
    Hope i never need the goop or the plugs.