General

J1772 or Mobile Charger

Looking at charging options for my home. I do not drive a lot (<50 miles /day) but then couple times a year take 1800 mile trips. Wondering if the mobile charger would serve my needs as car often sits for 2 to 3 days. Failing that I noticed an J1772 charger with Tesla adapter is less expensive then Tesla recommended wall connector . Seems to me it should do the job.

Comments

• I use a mobile charger at home 100%. I think a lot of people do. I have a Nema 14-50 outlet so I get level 2 charging rates at 30miles per charging hour. Honestly don't see why I would need more than that at home. I probably could even get by with just using a 120v outlet, but I just know that would be excruciating at times...getting 5 miles per charging hour.
  • If you drive less than 50 miles a day, and you have an electric dryer outlet near where you will be parking the car, you may find that the mobile connector with the proper adapter for your dryer outlet is all you need. Certainly the least expensive way to go. Otherwise, a NEMA 14-50 outlet with the mobile connector will be all you need. I charge 100% that way.
  • I’m driving 150 miles a day and I’m getting by with a mobile charger. With a 30 amp circuit I’m getting 22-23 miles of charge an hour. 30 amps is about as big as I could go in the condo with its old 100 amp service.